Post-Draft Chatter

HoosierCat

Bengals drafts have been working this way for a while.  Boring but solid. 

National guys typically look up around  round 6 and say something like, “hey the Bengals have added some good players” “like what they’ve done”

seems like this is the norm. 

• Like 1

On 4/29/2023 at 8:04 PM, AMPHAR said:

Bengals drafts have been working this way for a while.  Boring but solid. 

National guys typically look up around  round 6 and say something like, “hey the Bengals have added some good players” “like what they’ve done”

seems like this is the norm. 

Myles, Turner, Brown and Jones should all have an impact next season hopefully, if they stay healthy.

Battle has a real chance to win a starting S spot as well. 

Another very good draft.  High character, team captains, proven productive football players.  This formula works, hats off to Tobin and Zac.  

I grade it an A, and I defend that grade by pointing out we got 4 guys who will contribute significant snaps - Murphy, Turner, Battle, and Robbins.  And we did that drafting from the 28 spot.  Not an easy place to pick up 4 players.  The other guys look like possible teams players and depth.  And the way this league is, they could end up on the field as well.    

I really like what I am reading about this UDCFA

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Jaxson-Kirkland-OL-Washington

especially: 'One of best pass blockers in college football - a technician who gives up very few sacks'

I will be rooting hard for this guy.

We need pass blockers bigtime

and yeah, I know he is about 2 years older than the average rookie

Mel:

Cincinnati Bengals: B+

Top needs entering the draft: RB, CB, S, TE, G

I was a little surprised by the Bengals' choice to take edge rusher Myles Murphy (28) in Round 1, if only because there were solid tight ends, safeties and cornerbacks available. Credit to them for not reaching for a direct need, though, as a team can never have too many pass-rushers. Murphy likely will slot in as a rotational player behind Trey Hendricksonand Sam Hubbard as a rookie, but Murphy is going to make an impact. I like his chances to be a starter in 2024 and beyond.

Cincinnati filled needs on Day 2. You're going to hear about the speed of Michigan cornerback DJ Turner (60) -- he ran a 4.26-second 40-yard dash at the combine -- but he had good tape last season too. He isn't just a burner. And now he'll get to play with former college teammate Dax Hill in this secondary. Safety Jordan Battle (95) is extremely versatile; he started three years for Nick Saban's defense, so you know he has been well-coached. Wide receiver Charlie Jones (131) and running back Chase Brown (163) were nice values on my board. Joe Mixon had a down 2022 season, and I could see Brown getting some carries as a rookie. Andrei Iosivas (206) is a raw wideout from the Ivy League with sprinter's speed in a 6-foot-3 frame. This is a dart throw, but it's the kind of Round 7 pick I can get behind.

The Bengals did a solid job filling their needs, though I'm not going to give them an A because they didn't take a tight end in one of the deepest tight end classes over the past 20 years. That's a miss. Overall, if Murphy develops into an every-down player, we could be looking at an A class in a few years.

Fair.

McShay did best picks by team.

Cincinnati Bengals

DJ Turner, CB, Michigan (Round 2, No. 60)

There was some buzz that Turner could go in the first round in the weeks leading into the draft, but the Bengals landed him in the final picks of the second round. Position of need? Check. Excellent value? Check. And talent? Check again.

Turner blazed a 4.26 in the 40-yard dash at the combine, the fastest time for the event this year. I see an outstanding combination of speed, suddenness and fluid movement on tape, and he can mirror receivers so well, recognizing route combos and sticking with them like glue. He won't be the biggest corner in the league at 5-foot-11 and 178 pounds, and he picked off only one pass last season, but he has the traits to be a solid starter in Cincinnati. And I actually think the ball production could improve in the pros because of how well he closes on targets.

Eli Apple left in free agency, and Chidobe Awuzie is coming back from a torn ACL, so this was definitely a need. With Mike Hilton locking down the slot, the Bengals can use Awuzie, Turner and Cam Taylor-Britt on the outside to lock down receivers and try to help this team back to the Super Bowl.

One more note on the Bengals: Purdue receiver Charlie Jones can make an impact as a rookie despite the talented receiving corps already in the Cincinnati locker room, and Illinois running back Chase Brown comes at terrific value in the fifth round. The running back situation is up in the air (though Joe Mixon just got a vote of confidence from coach Zac Taylor), so he's another one who could see meaningful action in Year 1.

Will they approach Mixon’s agent and ask to redo that deal?  I think they should.  

Nothing Zac said when he supported Mixon as a part of the team makes me think they won’t ask him to redo that deal.

May as well do it now, there is no chance they’re letting him play it out as is.  He has two years left, two expensive years.

there are like a bazillion backs still out there as FAs that they could sign. They have plenty of leverage. And mixon would make next to nothing if they cut him in this current market.