Post-Draft Chatter

HoosierCat

RIGHT STUFF: Carman, who lost the starting left guard spot last training camp before coming off the bench and flashing at left tackle in the postseason, is going to get the first shot at filling in for rehabbing right tackle La'el Collins. That's what head coach Zac Taylor said after the

draft.

"That doesn't mean anything. We're not there yet. This is a whole new year, whole new season," Carman said. "Last year I had the first shot at left guard and what happened? I was in street clothes all year. But if that hadn't happened, I wouldn't have had the opportunity at the end of the season, so everything is working its way out for a reason."

I had not heard this.   So Carman is getting first run at RT over Williams?   That tells me Williams will not be around somehow.   I just can't see Williams who they've declared a starter the 1st OTA since they drafted him is not going to open up TC as starter at RT with $12.5m cap hit.

Also kinda surprised he's leaped Adeniji this early.   Adeniji has always been the first off the bench for Pollack.   

My guess would have been the opposite for opening day TC starting reps.

I think it is partially that Williams is not at voluntaries and his still re-habbing from his surgery...so Carman first up because...he's next up. That said, it's a real opportunity for him.

• Like 1

My money, fwiw which aint much, says that Adeniji (unless injured) will be the starter at ORT in game 1

If Adeniji is injured, it'll be the new guy from Buffalo

I dont see Jonah being with this team by the time the season starts.  Some playoff aspiring team will lose their OLT and will trade for him

I will throw my thoughts in.

TJ tries out and earns the starters role ahead of all these clowns.  He earns All Pro honors and since it was a one year deal, he hits the open market in 2024 resetting the right tackle market with a 4 year, 100 million dollar deal, which is fully guaranteed.

He does the right thing and contributes half his pay to his brothers at Bengalszone, which will be divided almost equally.  I get the big piece of chicken, due to my finders fee of course.  With the money, COB surprises each BZ member with their very own customized Rascal Freedom Power Chair ($1500.00 at Sam's Club).  The $1.80 upcharge from the normally priced $1498.20 was due to the custom orange and black color scheme with stripes included.  

That is all...

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, membengal said:

I think it is partially that Williams is not at voluntaries and his still re-habbing from his surgery...so Carman first up because...he's next up. That said, it's a real opportunity for him.

Yeah, I believe Zac said Carman is getting the first shot because Jonah is rehabbing, which is 100% to be expected imo. And it’s also why I don’t think there’s much chance of moving Jonah right now. Who is going to trade for a player with a $12 million fully guaranteed deal who status is up in the air due to injury?

Honestly, I agree with Mem in that this is nothing more than Jonah still recovering from his knee surgery and being unavailable early on.  I fully expect him to be the starting RT minus his injury lagging on longer than expected.  Since Jonah has been whining about the move, I expect his injury to linger.

In that instance, I think Carman has just as much a chance as any other player on the roster.
He has a real opportunity in this situation with Collins not being back early either.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

Since Jonah has been whining about the move, I expect his injury to linger.

Yeah, it will probably become this years version of Housh’s hammy, which magically flared up every time he was asked to do something he didn’t want to do.

1 hour ago, ArmyBengal said:

I will throw my thoughts in.

TJ tries out and earns the starters role ahead of all these clowns.  He earns All Pro honors and since it was a one year deal, he hits the open market in 2024 resetting the right tackle market with a 4 year, 100 million dollar deal, which is fully guaranteed.

He does the right thing and contributes half his pay to his brothers at Bengalszone, which will be divided almost equally.  I get the big piece of chicken, due to my finders fee of course.  With the money, COB surprises each BZ member with their very own customized Rascal Freedom Power Chair ($1500.00 at Sam's Club).  The $1.80 upcharge from the normally priced $1498.20 was due to the custom orange and black color scheme with stripes included.  

That is all...

COB would need to take us all (plus special guest: Vijay Singh) out to Arbys in Kent for a lavish and sumptuous dinner - deluxe with jamocha shakes and all - and also share his black book of gutter cleaning contractors and their contact numbers.  Arbys will be required to bring back potato cakes and the italian sub specifically for this event

we'd have to severely limit any funds goin to Army because of his well known "hookers and blow" plan, which near as I can tell his wife and kids havent bought in on

• Haha 2

Ill keep my bet on Adeniji as the game 1 starter, but yeah, it make sense to use the offseason time to see if Carman has any value

If I didnt dislike the scumbag so much, I would pity Carman a little for being asked to change jobs 4 times in 3 years. 

Hard to do well for an employer when the goalposts keep moving

Dude had every opportunity to beat out a 4th round rookie from North Dakota and failed.
If he took the "L" there and has picked himself back up to earn the RT spot at some time, I'm rooting.
That's all you can hope for from anyone, let alone a football player.

It's alright to fail.  Just pick yourself back up and go harder.
And leave 15 year old girls alone.

Ok, I may have added that second part.

10 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

I had not heard this.   So Carman is getting first run at RT over Williams?   That tells me Williams will not be around somehow.   I just can't see Williams who they've declared a starter the 1st OTA since they drafted him is not going to open up TC as starter at RT with $12.5m cap hit.

Also kinda surprised he's leaped Adeniji this early.   Adeniji has always been the first off the bench for Pollack.   

My guess would have been the opposite for opening day TC starting reps.

Ohhh shit , Carmen sounds salty at himself for losing out last year .  I like it .  Maybe this is the team telling Jonah, fine, don’t want to compete at RT? Then you are the backup LT.  I think they are willing to eat the money for the year to have a better backup LT rather then get some money back by cutting him.

Hobs has an interview with Mike Potts, head of college scouting. Worth a read.

https://www.bengals.com/news/scouting-bengals-draft-we-let-our-board-speak-to-us

One thing that popped out at me was that he confirms they had trade offers all through the first four rounds, and only took the one little drop back with the Chiefs. They had 7-8 offers at 28. They were just that high on Murphy, Turner and Battle. So, no pressure, but there will be no shortage of second-guessing if any of these dudes bust.

Also talks a bit about TE, says there were guys they liked but there were always other guys available they liked more. The obvious rejoinder is, well, you could have been proactive and traded to get a guy instead of sitting around, but of course we all know that’s really not their bag.

12 hours ago, GapControl said:

Ohhh shit , Carmen sounds salty at himself for losing out last year .  I like it .  Maybe this is the team telling Jonah, fine, don’t want to compete at RT? Then you are the backup LT.  I think they are willing to eat the money for the year to have a better backup LT rather then get some money back by cutting him.

I like any player getting motivated and this kid has definitely needed to mature.  Maybe now's the time.
The Bengals would get nothing back for cutting Jonah.  His salary is fully guaranteed at this point.

10 hours ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

Don't count out Ford at RT.

I have.  That dude sucks fat donkey balls.
Not that I won't be rooting for him mind you.

Also talks a bit about TE, says there were guys they liked but there were always other guys available they liked more. The obvious rejoinder is, well, you could have been proactive and traded to get a guy instead of sitting around, but of course we all know that’s really not their bag.

Counterpoint to the rejoinder - reaching IS usually their bag and NOT reaching is something new. I would submit the positive value they had for their picks compared to consensus big boards all over the draft is evidence of that.

And, while we are here, do you all know how many catches for how many yards and TDs the ENTIRE TE room had for us in 2022?

73 catches

556 yards 

3 td 

That's it. That. Is. It.

Do you seriously think that Smith/Sample/Asiasi/Wilcox or other vet cannot replicate that?  

Or, you wanted them to be more dynamic at TE and reach for a player, I guess you are advocating to take targets away from the big 3? Just not sure we as a fanbase had this read right - and I don't fault the bengals for how they played their board and made their picks. 

15 hours ago, membengal said:

At IOL, a name many of us have probably forgotten but I remain curious about - Ben Brown - from last year's UDFA class -

Along those lines..

I have no issue with the Bengals not filling a need while taking what they perceived as a better player.
I also agree the production for the TE room is not much to attempt to duplicate.

While it would seem fairly easy for getting this room to replicate it, it's not a foregone conclusion.
Those odds go up dramatically with a 100% healthy Irv Smith Jr.

We only have history to go by in trying to determine what we could reasonably expect moving forward.
Smith has never had a season where he hit 375 yards.  He's only had more than 2 TD's in a season once.
Sample has 1 season with more than 345 yards and has 1 TD in 4 years.
Wilcox's production is almost non-existent, but has managed a single TD like Sample.
Asiasi's production is non-existent, but does have a TD among his 4 career receptions.

Again, I would agree it seems fairly easy for this TE group to repeat what they got in 2022, but we don't have much to base that opinion on.  I hope we get a fully healthy Smith for 2023 and he remains that way.  That would go a long way in getting to that point.

I'm still not opposed to them bringing in someone else should a player become available during cuts.

55 minutes ago, membengal said:

Counterpoint to the rejoinder - reaching IS usually their bag and NOT reaching is something new. I would submit the positive value they had for their picks compared to consensus big boards all over the draft is evidence of that.

And, while we are here, do you all know how many catches for how many yards and TDs the ENTIRE TE room had for us in 2022?

73 catches

556 yards 

3 td 

That's it. That. Is. It.

Do you seriously think that Smith/Sample/Asiasi/Wilcox or other vet cannot replicate that?  

Or, you wanted them to be more dynamic at TE and reach for a player, I guess you are advocating to take targets away from the big 3? Just not sure we as a fanbase had this read right - and I don't fault the bengals for how they played their board and made their picks. 

I said absolutely none of this, but feel free to keep putting words I didn’t say in my mouth.