Week 6: Bengals @ Saints

HoosierCat

I would have expected that with the line playing better, we'd see better play from New Guy, but we didnt last night

The Burrow magic just doesnt seem to be there, and I lack the right words to convey that properly

Plenty of blame to go around on the offensive side of things, and its absolutely not all on New Guy, but theres something....off......with him.  

Still love the guy to death and hope whatever it is gets worked out

I think it’s a combination of things. No camp or preseason, so rust. New oline he’s unfamiliar with and, since they also got no preseason,  nearly got him killed in the first two weeks. So ghosts. And finally the rest of the league now has a full season plus of tape on him, so smarter defenses. He’s never really faced that before. At LSU he never faced the same team more than twice and he only played 28 games. This will be game 36 in the pros.

And of course his head coach is a poor play caller.

1 hour ago, HoosierCat said:

Hurst was wide open on that play.   It was 3rd and 12.   Hurst would not have gotten the first but you can't pass a 6-10 yard gain and turn it into a 8 yard sack. 

Sure maybe something could be drawn up but really the point of the matter is they did a shitty job run blocking on first and 2nd downs.  Then your QB takes a sack.

No D-Coord with any sense would ever stop deep zone with results like that.     That series ultimately sets up the Ravens to go up 10-0.

After this series Burrow started to take the check downs.  Run game improved and the Bengals ultimately took the lead.     Part of the issue the Bengals need a toughness attitude to not lose yards running the football and to not to take sacks when teams are sitting in deep zone.

After watching that video,  I'm wondering what Joe Burrow is thinking.  Check it down.   Let your athletic TE try to make a play.   If not punt and see if your reliable defense can hold.

Probably swung field position 20 yards.   Sometimes it seems Joe Burrow thinks he is Qbing the 2020 team that couldn't stop anybody.    There is no reason to take these sacks and pass on check downs.   The defense is good and punting isn't a bad thing.

• Like 1

Im pretty sure other teams face cover 2 all the time and I’m pretty sure there OC finds a way to get there main guys open. Zac does the same crap game after game with not much success, but it seems he has no interest in drawing up something new. The bengals seem to average like just over 4 yards per pass, that is just terrible. Some how other teams like the Bills and Vikings seem to get there guys open and pass deep. 

Hopefully something sparks for this guy there is to much talent on this team to not play better the WHOLE game. The difference in these wins and losses seems to be the inconsistency in the pass game, no run game, and terrible goal line play. Hopefully we see some change here.

Couldn't agree more Mem.  They are out of sync, can't make adjustments and if they do, it's not until it's too late.
I think that's why i'm finding it hard in wanting to discuss.  They look lost and it's frustrating to me.
Not being able to run or find an open receiver is inexcusable with the level of talent they possess.

Looking at Burrow's stats for this year, they are almost identical (but worse so far) than 2020 when they were terrible. 

One thing he needs to do is quit turning the ball over and trying to do too much and/or playing like Dalton and forcing it to Chase, having passes batted-down, and throwing INT's or fumbling.  Stop turning it over and those 3-point or less losses (all so far) turn into wins.

Biggest issue going back to mid-season of last year or so is their inability to score TD's/points, which is ridiculous given the talent they have.

Oddly enough, through their first 5 games last season and this season, the trend of close games continues for the most part.

Last season they were 3-2 at this point, with two overtime games and 4 of the 5 decided by a FG.
They went 4-2 over their next 6 games, with only one game decided by 3 or less.

When looking at their next 6 opponents, they have a real opportunity to figure things out and be right where they were or better than last season.  Granted, they have got to right the offensive ship, so to speak, but this is the stretch that will define expectations for the end of the season when the competition takes a sharp turn to being really tough.  Having the bye week in this coming 6 game stretch should prove helpful as well.

How bad do they want it ??  They need a come to Jesus meeting and show some urgency in getting things fixed.
Get fired the fuck up and go take what's yours Bengals.  It's time to fucking eat.

29 minutes ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

Looking at Burrow's stats for this year, they are almost identical (but worse so far) than 2020 when they were terrible. 

One thing he needs to do is quit turning the ball over and trying to do too much and/or playing like Dalton and forcing it to Chase, having passes batted-down, and throwing INT's or fumbling.  Stop turning it over and those 3-point or less losses (all so far) turn into wins.

Biggest issue going back to mid-season of last year or so is their inability to score TD's/points, which is ridiculous given the talent they have.

?

That was his first INT since week 1. 

As Amphar has pointed out, the quickest way for Burrow and the offense to improve is just to take what the defenses are giving them. If they’re selling out to stop the pass, run the ball from the shotgun (they did this last week with some success), check it down, dump it off, etc. Pick up a couple firsts that way, the D will have to come up and then you’ve got a shot.

I know, everyone hates dink n dunk, me included. And everyone from Bob “bombs away” Bratkowski to Marvin “chunk plays” Lewis to Joe “Chase is down there somewhere” Burrow loves them the Big Play. But you need patience. Do the other stuff, it’ll come.

The confusing part is Burrow himself declared "pick your poison", but his play doesn't reflect that.    When they checked it down against Baltimore his targets got him scoring opportunities more times than punts, when he didn't it resulted in negative plays giving the Ravens better field position and better scoring opportunities.

When you declare "pick your poison" then that means when a defense plays you dishonestly you are simply going to grind them up with what they are giving you. Yet time and time again he elects not to go this route.

• Thanks 1