Week 4 (TNF): Dolphins @ Bengals

HoosierCat

Looks like TE is this year’s “position group that gets decimated by injury.” Sample already down an unknown number of weeks (why is he not on IR?), Hurst and Wilcox dinged, and of course Harris (technically a TE) out for the year.

Thad Moss might make it back here yet…

This defense is the very definition of middle of the pack.  It has been far from what most fans expect from this unit.
While FULLY understanding the offense has to start faster and improve if they are going to get back to the playoffs, it's shortsighted to suggest this defense has been playing top 10, let alone top 5 level defense to this point.  Heading into the Jets game, they had 2 sacks, little pressure and no interceptions.  AGAIN, I think the Jets game saw better execution and more of what we expect.  To gloss over the defense because of the struggles of the offense is off a bit.

If Thursday doesn't show more improvement in building off of the Jets game, the Dolphins will blow them the fuck out.
While I think the game being played at home, it being in primetime, and getting some confidence back could lead to a win for our Bengals, the Dolphins have beaten the Patriots, the Ravens and the Bills.  Hardly 3 weeks of playing the Texans...

Defense is averaging 16 pts allowed through three games of the season.  

Completion % against is 56.2% good for third best, they are allowing 1st downs on 26.4% on passes which is 4th.  Against the run 3.7 YPC and only 1 rushing TD.

Yes they had three bad series against the Cowboys but other than that they have allowed 1....1 TD.  They are very definitely a top ten defense, statistically they are a top 5 defense overall.

I also believe the lack of a pass rush and lack of INTs is a function of scheme.  I think they were worried that they might get beat deep against the Steelers so they played alot more deep safety looks and did not press much preferring to keep the Steelers WRs in front of them which does not lend itself to alot of INTs.

• Thanks 1

Daugherty made one point I thought was on the money - that our D has been good but given the level of the 3 QBS we have faced so far, nothing to get too excited about yet

I have to concede that he has a point

Miami has a good starter and a good backup at QB, as well as two excellent receivers, so it will be interesting to see how well our D holds up against the Dolphins

Chido and Eli's play will be crucial in whatever the result is

You know...

Sometimes, you go in search of information and think you are on the right track, only to find you have been off the whole damn time.
I have no idea what the hell is going on with my computer which led me to my thoughts on the defense, but it's definitely USER ERROR.

My bad guys.  Commence eating a little crow...

I dunno, Army, it isnt like they have faced great offenses yet, just as Daugherty said

They were notably not nearly as good once Reader left the game.  Super super underrated player

If he doesnt play Thursday or plays hampered, I expect to see a much worse defensive performance

so while I can definitely say the D kept us in those first few games, we'll see Thursday how good or bad they really are against a good offense

48 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

You know...

Sometimes, you go in search of information and think you are on the right track, only to find you have been off the whole damn time.
I have no idea what the hell is going on with my computer which led me to my thoughts on the defense, but it's definitely USER ERROR.

My bad guys.  Commence eating a little crow...

Always good to find a rational person on the inter-webs.

Defense is top 10 in yards, points, and take aways.       Miami on paper looks like the toughest offense the defense has faced so far,  so I'm sure some of the rankings could drop after this week.

The Jets  offense even after being shut down on Sunday are still top 10 yardage.      No matter what the rankings say the defense kept them in games the first 2 weeks and in the 3rd week when the offense came out of their hell hole the other team simply couldn't take the air out of the ball and more sacks and TOs came. 

4 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Always interesting to see how the numbers compare.

So ESPN and pff both agree that our pass protection is terrible and our pass rush is pretty good. Pff likes our run D, ESPN not so much. ESPN likes our run blocking, pff is not a fan.

The line has been garbage to start the season.    It would be a guess they regressed from the same point in last season.