O-line Watch 2022

ArmyBengal

15 hours ago, COB said:

This explains Dallas being so willing to move on from this dude.  Seems like they’re pretty certain he’s going to flunk another test.  

The other Big issue,IMO is all the prime OL upgrades will be gone in two weeks.   Take his $10m cap hit, count on him, IF something happens they are screwed.  

Just can’t, IMO.    They are not going to be bringing in 3/4 OL via FA with 8-11m cap hits they don’t have a full room for DLs and DBs right now. 

At $10m he’s their 1 big nut.  

Mike Giardi:

Tampa Bay would love to keep Ryan Jensen, per league source, but Jensen could command a deal similar to the one Joe Thuney got a year ago (KC).

https://twitter.com/mikegiardi/status/1503061679738920966?s=21

if that’s the case I think we can safely scratch Jensen off the Bengals’ list.

Rapoport:

The #Lions have agreed to terms with interior OL Evan Brown on a 1-year deal worth, source said. Brown started 12 games last year in place of Frank Ragnow and handled himself quite well. Now gets a deal instead of being an RFA.

I took a look at Cappa. 

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/alex-cappa/66578  (score: 74)

https://www.buccaneers.com/news/bucs-2022-guard-alex-cappa-free-agent-focus

Although he wasnt on my dream list, he's young, durable, well above average but not a superstar, and his experience is specifically at ORG

Damn near perfect set of traits I want in an OL

F U C K I N G   O U T S T A N D I N G

The only thing I dont know is whether he fits our scheme, the wide zone thing

Mem? Joisey? Wraith? anyone other than Amphar?

Young improving player with a reputation for toughness? Not much to hate on there. As for system, right now our system appears to be “get the QB killed” so it’s a low bar to clear. Yeah, still need OT and aging vet a la Reiff last year wouldn’t surprise me. Plenty of time to do that.

I just want to see a signed contract Wednesday. I have no doubt this news came from the agent camp and is a signal flare to any other team that was interested.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Schefter:

Tom Brady’s loss will be Joe Burrow’s gain: Bucs’ free-agent guard Alex Cappa intends to sign a four-year, $40 million deal with the Bengals after free agency opens, per league sources.

So yep,  Tom Brady could have stole Jensen from us.   That's how they operate.   We value this group of players in this range and just move down the line til they bite.

I love these type of moves for the Bengals.   Former Senior Bowl player,  drafted in his class of 2018 top 150  (drafted 94th overall). 

Just show he had skills leaving college, validated those in the pre draft process.   Then transitioned them in the NFL (46 starts).

Building block piece for 4 years so in reality an expensive proven 3rd round talent. 

With this in the bag;  I now would not mind a trade for La el Collins although I hope its on the cheap.   Although I would love Daryl Williams more. 

Great move.  1st day strike. 

1 minute ago, ArmyBengal said:

With 10 million a year to Cappa, I'm betting they take the chance on Collins getting released and trying to sign him at a lower number later.
I could be wrong, but I don't see them giving up a pick or more AND taking on that contract now.

That's scenario is what I was hoping for although I'd take Daryl Williams first now.   I did not want the Bengals taking on Collins contract first in fear that would be their big move for the OL.   Just too much risk.   They needed a building block piece and got one.    It would be great if they could do what you suggested above.

41 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Well, remember they can’t actually sign him until Wednesday. Plenty of time for another team to swoop in.

you have the worst PTSD I have ever seen among bengals fans. I may need to send you to therapy. 

42 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Well, remember they can’t actually sign him until Wednesday. Plenty of time for another team to swoop in.

I think the Shaun Rogers trade, not trade was the best all time burn and the Bengals have had several.   

With process the way it is today, I think this one is good to go.