O-line Watch 2022

ArmyBengal

Pollack noted the consideration of moving Williams and said something to the effect of it not being crazy or something to consider.

Yet again, i'm not saying this is what should happen, but rather the conversation should be taking place and all things should be considered.
They can say what they want about "how" the 70 sacks happened or who was responsible for them however, there were in fact 70 sacks.
I don't think there is anything that should not be considered.  Go ahead and ask Jonah what he thinks, but if there's another way to go at it....

DO IT !!

Just keep Burrow from getting hit and sacked that damned much.
If Jonah is butt hurt but Burrow takes half the sacks next year, does anyone give a shit if Jonah is butt hurt ??

I agree TJ and was simply using the sacks number since it is so ridiculous, it typically grabs people's attention.

That only furthers my point that I don't care what they have to do to cut down on Burrow getting hit/sacked/pushed/or anything else.
Bring in FA's, draft more, cut guys, extend guys, move guys, bring in Deshaun Watson's accusers for massages, WHATEVER.

This seems kinda silly thing to worry about BUT we have had two QBs suffer knee injuries via tumbling DL rushers.    Trevor Penning throwing/tossing rushers looks cool and all but that could be bad news.

Just saw a clip of him tossing aside a rusher and them undercutting the QB.

23 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

I agree TJ and was simply using the sacks number since it is so ridiculous, it typically grabs people's attention.

That only furthers my point that I don't care what they have to do to cut down on Burrow getting hit/sacked/pushed/or anything else.
Bring in FA's, draft more, cut guys, extend guys, move guys, bring in Deshaun Watson's accusers for massages, WHATEVER.

IMO, you can not look past his style of play and you probably aren't ever going to completely get him out of that mode.    I mean he throws an Int and then next shot on the TV he's mixing it up with TJ Watt. 

Like it or not he has got play extender blood in him and that does cause higher rate of hits/sacks.  He does have a LB mentality.    His sack rates were high in LSU too despite having 5 games against lower level competition.  

Sure fix the line but the real issue is being able to stop a 4 man rush getting home within a couple seconds and/or being able to gash teams in the run game that rush 4 and play coverage.

If you view success or failure via sacks or QB hit you probably always going to judge failure no matter what resources are thrown at it.    We have very much a Lamar Jackson, Russ Wilson and Big Ben situation at QB in regards to sacks/hits.

Lots of talk about Jensen coming here, but also that the cost is prohibitive.....15M or so

Based on how Hopkins performed at the end of the year, when he was more fully recovered from his 2020 injury, I look at Hopkins as our second best OL, and yes, thats even with acknowledging what Spain and Reiff did, and his contract is about half of what it'd take to get Jensen

I'd rather get two Dan Williams types instead of one Ryan Jensen, particularly given that Hopkins is much better right now than his overall season rating says he is, and I think two above average OGs on either side of him will greatly elevate this play

Top priority for me in both FA and draft pick 31 remains ORT

If we do get Jensen, tho.......and I am good with that......I'd say Hopkins becomes your ORG (or first IOL to come off the bench, at worst) and a high quality backup at OC.  And then you need.....yep.....the new ORT

I dont see Reiff returning

Or Fred either.  I love the guy, but the coaches seemingly dont.  I wish him well.  I honestly think he'll start somewhere, and we will come to regret letting hm get away.

Prince is a backup, period.   We saw enough to know this with certainty.

I think Adeniji would be better at ORT than ORG, but I dont have much confidence in him right now at all

D'Ante Smith is the wild card.  He could be the answer at ORT (tho he was a LEFT tackle in college) but I have no idea based on......well, we saw very little of him on gamedays. But he was praised in camp, he has tackle length arms and a good work ethic.  Early season reports had him beating out Carman, FWIW.  He cant - just cant - be worse than Prince, I'd think, but the bar to reach is much higher than that.  We need play at least as good as the meh performance Reiff turned in at bare freakin minimum

My favorite FA at ORT is Morgan Moses.  I dont think he's dominant by any stretch, but he'd be above average and thats a huge improvement over Prince

I look at the 2022 Bengals o-linemen and have faith in Williams as a starter.
That's where it begins and ends.  EVERYTHING else is up for grabs.

I've said it before in that I'd like to see them put Carman at LG from the jump and leave him there.
They probably won't do that, so I will adjust and say put him at one position and leave him there.

I'm not suggesting, nor have I seen anyone else, to cut, release or anything else regarding the other players.
AGAIN, I am suggesting everyone is competing for the starting role and I don't care where they come from.

What I'm hoping for is 2 new o-linemen that are viewed as upgrades to what we had and a new rookie o-lineman at #31.
I cannot wait to see what happens next week when things pop off.  While not thinking top tier, it will still be fun to watch what happens.

I get all of that as well and agree that we need a RT.
My only thought, from what I've seen is that those options are limited.

I think Mem made the same comment and I agree with you both that Morgan Moses would be fine by me.
However, there have been reports that he wants to return to the Jets.
His family is really happy there and he was happy with the organization regardless of the 2021 outcome.

When it comes to the draft, I guess it just depends on how the coaches view the players involved.

11 hours ago, COB said:

Ryan Jensen might be headed our way, would be a good center.  Supposedly we wouldn’t match the Ravens and the Steelers offers, but rumors now going that he could be ours after all.

Could be agent hype.   There was all kinds of buzz about Thuney last year.   Its time to get this Free Agent buffet started already.

When I think about the Center position, I think about their relationship with the QB and who they want to play with.
If it's strictly about money, then of course it's the highest bidder.

If it's more than that, would you rather play with Burrow, Jackson or Rudolph ??
My pick would go just like that order.

We finally have more than the highest dollar to offer free agents.
We provide a legitimate chance to win a Championship.

Rapoport: Gasmask McBongface on the block:

The #Cowboys are having active trade conversations centered around starting OT La'el Collins, sources say. A mainstay since 2015, Collins is due $10M this coming year and there is interest from other teams.

3 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Rapoport: Gasmask McBongface on the block:

The #Cowboys are having active trade conversations centered around starting OT La'el Collins, sources say. A mainstay since 2015, Collins is due $10M this coming year and there is interest from other teams.

Is that Gasmask?  I thought that was Texans dude

Both Collins and Tunsil massively dropped on draft day.

Tunsil - on the day of the draft a sweet cellphone vid of him transforming into Gasmask Bongface was released.  The possibility that he may have smoked weed took the consensus number one pick and dropped him to 13 where the dolphins got him.

Collins - Dude got completely screwed.  His ex girlfriend got murdered before the draft.  It was leaked that he had agreed to an interview with the police about her murder, that’s it.  He was never announced as a suspect or anything.  Went from a top ten pick to undrafted.  Jerra got him for 3 years, $1.5 million total.  

• Like 1