O-line Watch 2022

ArmyBengal

No worries about the 10M per se, Army.  It'd be a bargain for that level of performance on the field. 

For me its more about the availability issues.

I think we'd have to have a very solid plan B at ORT in case things went sideways

Would Reiff be willing to take a step back, lighten his workload, as the backup ORT behind Collins?  Spend more time mentoring and grooming Carman and Smith? Just brainstorming here.  That'd be dream-like sensational :-)

I get that as well and was a huge part of the Waynes deal.
We simply never (rarely) saw him and turned out to be useless to us.

Again, while understanding the concern, this is a risk I would be more comfortable taking when considering the situation.
Further impacting this for me is that when looking at other free agent RT's and draft eligible RT's, the options are limited.
Certainly when considering what an available and healthy Collins does for the o-line.

Some obvs from Goldsmith via Twitter:

With trade rumors swirling about RT La’el Collins, I went back and watched three Cowboys games from last year. I’ll have some takeaways in this thread.

But the short answer is yes, he’d be a very good fit in the Bengals scheme.

I watched two games late in the season where the Cowboys faced a team with a very good edge rusher (vs. Washington, vs. the Cardinals). And then I watched the game where Dak Prescott took the most sacks (vs. the Chiefs).

It was an impressive sample size.

Collins’ strength is his athleticism. His quick drop back is the first thing that stands out, and he’s effective changing his tempo and his hand placement to block a variety of edge rushers.

Some more takeaways

-Quick vertical movement  
-Handles screens and play action very well (great block vs Chris Jones)
-Allowed pressures vs slot cornerbacks/safeties (this was key to Chiefs game)
-4 false starts in 2021 (for example, Jonah Williams only had 2 last year)

https://twitter.com/charlieg__/status/1502318527276929033?s=21

• Like 1

I'd absolutely be thrilled to get Collins if the following three conditions are all met. 

all of them

has to be all three

1.  Full discussion with Chido and Pollack.  Personality and availability questions, concentrating on the drug suspension in 2021, but all issues explored/discussed.  If he's not gonna fit, then stop here, no need to proceed.  Hopefully they are having these discussions with Pollack and Chido as I type this 

2.  any draft picks in the trade are low with conditional upgrades.  I'd be fine with giving a 4, maybe even a 3, if he is fully available and performs well in 2022.  But it should start as a 6 or 7.  Or we give a 5 and we get a 6 or 7 back

3.  Backup ORT plan - getting a solid backup ORT on roster for 2022 at bare minimum - is agreed upon and fully understood by coaches and FO.      

1 minute ago, HoosierCat said:

Some obvs from Goldsmith via Twitter:

With trade rumors swirling about RT La’el Collins, I went back and watched three Cowboys games from last year. I’ll have some takeaways in this thread.

But the short answer is yes, he’d be a very good fit in the Bengals scheme.

I watched two games late in the season where the Cowboys faced a team with a very good edge rusher (vs. Washington, vs. the Cardinals). And then I watched the game where Dak Prescott took the most sacks (vs. the Chiefs).

It was an impressive sample size.

Collins’ strength is his athleticism. His quick drop back is the first thing that stands out, and he’s effective changing his tempo and his hand placement to block a variety of edge rushers.

Some more takeaways

-Quick vertical movement  
-Handles screens and play action very well (great block vs Chris Jones)
-Allowed pressures vs slot cornerbacks/safeties (this was key to Chiefs game)
-4 false starts in 2021 (for example, Jonah Williams only had 2 last year)

https://twitter.com/charlieg__/status/1502318527276929033?s=21

Heh. I was literally about to post all those. Thanks.

Collins would be a sea change upgrade at RT and I am stunned STUNNED that there are those in here who are resisting the idea. 

1 minute ago, membengal said:

TJ -the back-up at RT is already here (and is likely the starter if we don't sign one or draft one - and that is Smith).

We know almost nothing about Smith at this point

He is nowhere close to being a solid backup plan

particularly at ORT, since he has played most of his time at OLT

7 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

If he is unavailable - whether partially or fully - is it still a sea change?

He's available now, they just need to deal for him. His presence would be a sea change, yes. 

I've been checking out the Cowboys forums.  Total mixed bag.
Some claim he sucks and the probably wont get a 7th for him and others say how stupid the Cowboys are for considering it.

Personally, I don't really care about all that, but found it interesting that he is so polarizing as a player.
Give him a change of scenery and see what you get for all the reason I've already given.

I'd take Collins with a restructured deal that pays him on par of a street FA.   That's were his career is now.  

Even the people that disagree with Hobs on spending conclude after cuts they have $35m to spend.    With respect to all available free agents you can get a better contributor for $10m of cap room. 

The Cowboys only generate $1.3m of cap room with a trade, that's a major red flag.   They'll probably end up cutting him and designate it post June 1 so they get more room.

If he is cut as a post June 1 cowboys save almost $9 million vs the cap so they have an incentive not to just take a lowball offer. Doesn’t seem like that’s likely to work in any case tho:

#Cowboys RT La’el Collins drawing lots of interest: League sources say the #Jags, #Broncos, #Bengals and #Dolphins have inquired about trading for the talented 28-year-old. 

Collins is known for his dominant run-blocking, but has become a super reliable pass-blocker as well.

https://twitter.com/schultz_report/status/1502475459585527810?s=21

1 hour ago, ArmyBengal said:

Well crap…

They have to cut/trade before 3/20 or they will owe him at least 6mil.  They can designate it a June 1 at the time if cut.  

See what happens but they supposedly shopped him around before trade deadline and clearly nothing happened.   So? 

I would guess he’s cut because a low ball offer might not be enough for them to pass on 9m cap room they need. 

I also do not think teams are going to take that contract and certainly hope the Bengals don’t.   

He’s clearly in the escalated substance abuse protocol which could mean a lengthy suspension with another screw up and reports are he missed 7 tests before. 

I don’t like the $10m cap hit because believe Hobson or not they got about 35m cap to spend and about 5-8 DL and DBs to resign or replace.   At that price this would be their big OL solution and it’s too risky with this guy,IMO.  He needs to be the cheap portion along with a big spend on C/G. 

20 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

He’s clearly in the escalated substance abuse protocol which could mean a lengthy suspension with another screw up and reports are he missed 7 tests before. 

This explains Dallas being so willing to move on from this dude.  Seems like they’re pretty certain he’s going to flunk another test.