O-line Watch 2022

ArmyBengal

12 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Welp. Ravens athletic beat writer: 

The Ravens have agreed to terms with veteran OT Morgan Moses, according to league sources. It will be a three-year, $15 million deal.

seriously, just 15? Cmon bengals…

Bengals could have beat 5M/yr by a mile

and should have

same thing happened with the opportunity to get Zeitler back, including who signed him

disgraceful

Again, something was off with Moses in my opinion.

Not only that, I feel Daryl Williams is a better option and someone the Bengals wanted last season.
Collins is still not out of the question should he actually get cut.

Both of them are better options than Moses was.
Was it an opportunity to improve?  Sure, but its not over yet.

I get that others may feel Moses was the better option...

What is Goodberry looking at?  The line is definitely better already, we’ve upgraded two spots.  

I’m excited to see what they do next.  Pretty great to have a team that actively tries to improve.  Remember all those years of screaming at the top of our lungs, “do something!”, only to have Mike do almost nothing, then Hobdouche would write us a stern lecture explaining how we didn’t really understand football?  Glad the organization has moved on from that.

17 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

Again, something was off with Moses in my opinion.

Not only that, I feel Daryl Williams is a better option and someone the Bengals wanted last season.
Collins is still not out of the question should he actually get cut.

Both of them are better options than Moses was.
Was it an opportunity to improve?  Sure, but its not over yet.

I get that others may feel Moses was the better option...

I'm not a big fan of Collins.   The best scenario is to get him on a prove it deal and maybe get a 2 year deal (with no dead money).    He seems to be the opposite of what they are bringing in if you read the local beat writers and fan opinions.    I also don't think his PFF ranking is a true picture of his ability.    Fans have latched on to his 2018/19 years kinda the same way someone declared Andre Smith "a top 5 RT" once and that's all you heard.   Collins wasn't as good as Andre Smith in their top years, IMO.

Daryl Williams - has been on my wish list for a while.  I don't recall the Bengals ever seriously kicking the tires.  I assume because of knee and age worries.  He once was an All-pro but that's not him anymore because teams aren't constantly cutting and moving on from an All-pro level player.

Moses? - Yeah I don't know.  He plays in the NFL and doesn't miss games. 

12 minutes ago, COB said:

What is Goodberry looking at?  The line is definitely better already, we’ve upgraded two spots.  

I have no idea.   They keep 9 usually.   They are already looking at 1 cut of someone they counted on starting double digit games or drafted last year.   Use a top 150 pick or sign another FA and of course that makes another tough cut.

When your in that situation the total collection of the room is much better.   One of the younger lineman will probably earn a job too.  But someone is already leaving and they haven't even mentioned Spain or RR. 

You just proved my point Amphar !!! 

Everyone has thoughts on these players, but I think most of us can agree that no matter who we are talking about......
Moses, Collins, Williams or the kickoff tee fetcher, they all pretty much present as an upgrade to last year at RT.

Just get something done Bengals.

19 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

You just proved my point Amphar !!! 

Everyone has thoughts on these players, but I think most of us can agree that no matter who we are talking about......
Moses, Collins, Williams or the kickoff tee fetcher, they all pretty much present as an upgrade to last year at RT.

Just get something done Bengals.

Glad to be of help.    I think they could get a RT candidate.   I think they have to watch the amount of money.   We need DBs something fierce and wouldn't mind some DL either. 

I think they'll get something done, don't know what. 

41 minutes ago, membengal said:

I'm gonna be pretty disappointed if we don't add a third lineman in FA. The contracts for Cappa and Karras were so good, there is room to do more work. They need to do more work.

I’m expecting something today.  I don’t know who it will be.  One thing about this FO, they don’t leak much info at all.  Nothing would surprise me today, they’ve proven to be pretty clever, and unpredictable.

We were talking about him previously, but I would like to bring him back up again.
OJ Howard in this offense wouldn't bother me in the least.

There's also reports that Dallas will take almost anything for Collins at this point.
Not sure if they would feel confident in getting him if he hit the market.

1 hour ago, COB said:

He wants Armstead, or a similar “big fish.” A whole chunk of bengals Twitter has locked into this mindset and imo is only going to be disappointed.

I like Joe, but he's moved the goalposts on this. Maybe for twitter engagement? Dunno. But his spot on Egger on Monday he was NOT on this train. And now he is. Disappointing from him. 

Football fans are mostly results oriented.   The last result we had was Burrow losing in the Superbowl due to pressure.     Had it been a lose with few sacks BUT Eli Apple getting roasted constantly.   Then the current holes in the DB room would be front and center.

At the end of the day the OL on paper looks improve which should help them continue to improve offensive productivity.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stripes said:

Kind of remarkable how similar the trajectory has been for the 2020-21 to 2021-22 Chiefs and now the 2021-22 to 2022-23 Bengals. If that seems like a dig, it isn't intended as such. I think they're mostly doing things the right way.

It might have worked for the Chiefs if they hadn't run into the buzzsaw that was the Bengals.

What's the current worst-case scenario?

Williams - Carman - Karras - Cappa - Prince? (maybe swap the guards)

I was going to say that's encouraging, but nah RT is still a glaring issue. Shore it up before you're forced to rely on the 5th-10th OT in the draft to do it.

I'd only be interested in Armstead if we didnt have Jonah. 

The one OL spot we have decently covered is OLT, so I personally dont want to fuck with that

That said, Armstead is a superstar OT and I really dont think we need a superstar OT.  Just a durable, better than average one, not unlike the two outside FA OLs we just signed.  They're both quite good without being stars

For me, it is not unlike getting Chido and Hilton for the price of WJ3

With Moses now out of the mix, my choice is Daryl Williams.....and there's really a big dropoff after that, so I get angry with twitter folks who call for patience here......with other spots, yes, there's time, but not at ORT

and again, I'd love to add Tretter but not if it means we then DONT sign a quality ORT.  Every signing at this point til we get the ORT has to leave the ORT money available.  So feel free to sign a 2-3M CB, TE, or 3TDT.......but keep the ORT funds under lock and key