1st Round: Jermaine Gresham

ArmyBengal

I posted this in another thread, but apparently Kindle was a major medical concern with a pre-existing knee injury that could possibly require micro-fracture surgery. Apparently, those concerns were the cause for his fall from the 1st round.

Check the profootballtalk.com article for a further link on the matter.

Sad, seeing as I really like the guy.

Either way, Gresham will finally give us a propper TE threat. My excitement is tempered somewhat by his injury history, but time will tell.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for "value," well, we all know that the Bengals don't grok value, right, Hair?

I guess I could rant for awhile longer about marginal value, but I won't for two reasons. First, it won't change anything. Second, in the eight picks made before the Bengals selected at #21 my predraft short list was devastated. Morgan, Graham, Weatherspoon, even JPP....all gone. And even more surprising to me, both Iupati and Pouncy, interior offensive lineman that I prefered over Gresham, were off the board. I fully expected at least one of them to be there.

In the end I was left with CB's Kyle Wilson and Devin McCourty, two players I love but couldn't quite bring myself to pimp, and Dez Bryant...who I would have selected simply because I felt he he was BPA by a fairly wide margin. But as you may recall...(snicker)...I don't think WR is a need anymore so the selection of Bryant would have been a mixed bag.

Again, I'm not mad. The selection of Gresham is what I expected and predicted, and I accept it without too much complaint. Furthermore, any complaints I may still have are mostly rooted in my disdain for the idea of using a 1st round pick on any TE, and have nothing to do with Gresham specifically.

Bingo. After doing a little more research on Gresham, I'm warming up to him as a player, I just was not at all thrilled about picking a tight end in the first.

That said, the way the rest of the draft forms around him is much more important than he's selection in general. Let's go get some linterior offensive lineman and a pass rusher today gentlemen.

Maybe Dez Bryant was the BPA but he's not a big upgrade over what we already have. Gresham is a huge upgrade over Coates, crash dummy and a guy coming off a ripped Achilles. The need was huge and most folks agree Gresham was the best TE in the draft.

I agree it's not a sexy pick but very necessary.

I wanted either Mays or Gresham there

TE is a more glaring need than WR.

Until the pre-season injury strikes and the receiving corps becomes depleted!

Gresham is a huge upgrade over Coates, crash dummy and a guy coming off a ripped Achilles.

Then they better do a very un-Bengals thing and pay the man before camp. Otherwise, either crash dummy or the guy with the ripped Achilles is starting Week 1.

Anyone but Coates

Bottom line, The Bengals went with need over talent. 5 years from now I feel Dez will be a top 10 WR in this league. I just don't feel the same way about Gresham. Also, not that I'm a big measureable's guy, but his 40, short shuttle and such doesn't compare to other 1st round TE's in the last decade. Is this due to him not being fully healthy and in football shape at his pro-day, I don't know, but he's not the kind of athletic freak we've seen in 1st round TE's recently.

Once again I think the Bengals just failed to adjust there board accordingly when Dez was there at 21. They went with the safer pick, and I sure hope we don't end up regretting it like the 20 teams regretted passing on RMoss in the '98 draft.

If you ask any scout about Gresham they will say he is as close to Tony Gonzalez as they come. So he doesnt run a 4.32 40, who cares. The guy creates nightmares for secondaries. He will help Chad and Antonio out a bunch, and is the perfect Red Zone target. If I were Carson Palmer I would be resting easier now that he will have a reliable safety net to rely on. Yeah I know he tore his ACL, but he is healthy now and injuries do happen. This guy will be a Pro Bowler in 2 years.

I see people on here who wanted Gronkowski and I am saying to myself...you're worried about Greshams injury problems? This guy is even worse than Gresham injury wise. So it makes no sense to me.

When I saw all those lineman coming off the board so early - half the picks from 1-20 were linemen - I pretty much knew the jig was up

so, per my bet with The Pimp

http://forums.bengal...ndpost&p=318816

Reggie?

av-984.jpg

Dude......I know you're angry, but I'll see you again in a week.

What? You want me to convince Pimp that a TE is essentially a 6th OL, more or less an extra Offensive tackle?

Uhhhhhh......I don't think he'll buy it

See you next week, dude

and now.......

PIMP

MY

av-2710.png

LOVIN' IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gresham is a huge upgrade over Coates, crash dummy and a guy coming off a ripped Achilles.

Then they better do a very un-Bengals thing and pay the man before camp. Otherwise, either crash dummy or the guy with the ripped Achilles is starting Week 1.

Well they did a good job on Jjoe & Hall who were later picks so I'm not to worried about a holdout.

Gresham compares favorably to Pettigrew who was a first round pick for the Lions last year.

Jermaine Gresham TE Oklahoma 6-5 261 1 same 4.66 20 35 2.69 1.58 09'05" 4.53 7.07

Brandon Pettigrew TE Oklahoma State 6-6 263 1 same 4.80 22 33 2.70 1.70 09'10" 4.37 7.12

No he is not Vernon Davis but he is certainly a good enough athlete to be considered an elite prospect.

Well they did a good job on Jjoe & Hall who were later picks so I'm not to worried about a holdout.

As I stated in another thread, I am not concerned about a hold out at all. The 21st pick is pretty much slotted, with a small increase over the previous season. I also really like the fact that the Steelers (#18) and the Falcons (#19) are right ahead of us. I am confident those franchises will sign their guys before training camp, thus setting the $$ amount for the #21 spot, and allowing us to get Gresham in on time. I would feel more uncomfortable if there were franchises directly ahead of us with weaker management. I am not worried.

Gresham was a bad pick because ....

They could have draft as good as or better TE's later in the draft.

We know that teams were trying to trade up to take QB Tim Tebow so, the SMART thing would have been to take Gresham a little later and pick up some extra picks the way that the SMART teams do.

I didnt hear that ANY OTHER TEAM EVEN WANTED HIM.

He has had MAJOR knee problems dating back to high school.

What about last years 3rd rnd pick TE Chase Coffman ?

Now you have a 1st round and 3rd pick invested in one spot- when the Bengals drafted Akili Smith they didnt even invest that much into the QB position.

The point is they could have either a TE just as good in later rounds or drafted him a few spots later and picked up picks.

We know that teams were trying to trade up to take QB Tim Tebow so, the SMART thing would have been to take Gresham a little later and pick up some extra picks the way that the SMART teams do.

Now you have a 1st round and 3rd pick invested in one spot- when the Bengals drafted Akili Smith they didnt even invest that much into the QB position.

The point is they could have either a TE just as good in later rounds or drafted him a few spots later and picked up picks.

More than likely the Patriots or Ravens would have taken Gresham. Especially the Ravens. Probably the Patriots too since they took Gronkowski.

Gresham is the best TE in the draft.

How can you be angry with this pick, its the guy they needed. Palmer needs a TE who can catch this team needs a player who can catch in the redzone, and Gresham catches just about everything. How do they know they can count on Coffman, and if he is ready then i guess there is another weapon to use.

I gotta side with Mayocks Opinion over yours,Who said Gresham was the best Tight End to enter the draft for a few years.

He had one knee injury in high school, and a one-ligament tear in college. The year-off from college ball should actually benefit him long term, considering the non-structural nature of his knee injury. If he fails, it's because of his attitude and character, a risk you take with all picks.

Coffman is not nearly the blocker, nor the upside blocker Gresham is. Coffman might be Dallas Clark some day, but the Bengals' offense is dependent on a TE who can block, it is pretty critical.

Look at their horrible red zone offense last season, it cost them a playoff victory or a better seed. You can't just add Wr's to improve that, you need goal line flexibility in your sets.

I am not blindly pimping the Bengals' choices, but they took relatively safe, sound picks, didn't reach, and the upside of their first 4 picks are impressive.

I worry about the o-line inhibiting the effectiveness of all the receiving additions though, Andre Smith better be the real deal, or they will have problems again.

You need to change your name. You didn't hear that any other team wanted him? Is your hearing aid broken? As soon as the Bengals took Gresham at #21, The Patriots at #22 traded back to #24, then again back to #27. Gresham was gone, so they chose to pick up extra picks. They then proceeded to trade up in the 2nd to take Gronk as a consolation prize. The Ravens were all over Gresham's nuts...and you didn't hear about that?

You say they could have found a TE just as good later? TELL ME WHO? They also could not have moved one spot, because New England would have snatched him up...

REMEMBER....Belichick has a history of drafting TE's in the 1st Round Daniel Graham ('02) & Ben Watson ('04).

Seriously dude, time for a name change.

Bust on Dadraftnik all you want, but he isn't always wrong.

It is now being claimed New York wanted Gresham, and he was there for the taking, but that team took a flyer on a raw DE prospect instead.

It is now being claimed Atlanta wanted Gresham, and he was there for the taking, but that team took an inside LB despite it being widely regarded as a devalued position.

It is now being claimed New England wanted Gresham, who was no longer available, and due to their disappointment they moved down in the draft. Which reminds me how they wisely do this very thing nearly every year, always picking up extra draft picks before eventually drafting a comparable player at a much lower cost. And a quick check shows them doing just that, by selecting Gronkowski at #42.

And last, it is now being claimed Baltimore wanted Gresham, and much like New England moved down immediately when Gresham was no longer available. But their GM has admitted they were moving down no matter who was still available due to the buttload of picks they received in trade from Denver.

Bottom Line: Gresham's draft ceiling was always the #21 spot precisely because of the team that occupied that slot. As to his floor, one could speculate it may have been lower, but IMHO his floor was the very same #21 slot.