1st Round: Jermaine Gresham

ArmyBengal

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There were only two players on the board that I think would have made equal sense and only one (Bryant) was a better value. Kindle would have been the only other pick to come in and start sooner rather than later.

not his position, but I think that Bulaga could have come in immediately and really upgraded the Bengals at LG. Packers really made out.

Hey. Day 1 Starter. Not a lot of places we could have said that...

Perhaps, but I'm guessing they could have drafted a TE in the 2nd or 3rd round and said the same thing. Day 1 Starter.

((shrug))

Gronk, Pitta, Dickerson.... we'll see. Gonna reserve judgement.

Brat said he will have every chance to start from game 1.

Depends more on Katie than Brat. To start early he needs to be in camp early. I still have flashbacks to:

KB: "It's a lot of money Alvin"

AK: "Katie, I'm just trying to get my #6 pick paid like a third rounder. For Chrissakes Katie..."

KB: "Alvin....It's just so much money."

---Repeat until September---

might not be bad to move up to get Mays or Kindle in r2. would be worth it.

If predraft rankings mean anything, and they probably don't, I'd love to move up into 35-45 territory.

I'd prefer that rather than the "Sit On Your Hands" policy thats in effect.

Perhaps, but I'm guessing they could have drafted a TE in the 2nd or 3rd round and said the same thing. Day 1 Starter.

((shrug))

Gronk, Pitta, Dickerson.... we'll see. Gonna reserve judgement.

Agreed.

Sadly, we now wait a full freaking day to see what happens next.

((shrug))

Oh, I agree. But if we're looking at taking a safety in Rd. 2, perhaps the logic was that there's a lot of quality depth in the draft at Safety, but after Gronkowski, who likely won't be available by then, the TE quality drops off too much. Just thinking...

Awesome slip of Haden getting hammered. The header was even better.

"B*tch, you got knocked the f*ck out !!!"

Absolutely! Part of my apprehension with Jermaine was that I kinda heard that he hadn't been a very physical runner, and obviously that's not true. cheers.gif

Far from the truth, dude is as tough a runner with the ball in his hands as you'll find. Maybe not quite Jeremy Shockey, but close. he will bowl people over. Also, not scared of contact, and will extend his arms, even if a hit is coming.

Oh, I agree. But if we're looking at taking a safety in Rd. 2, perhaps the logic was that there's a lot of quality depth in the draft at Safety, but after Gronkowski, who likely won't be available by then, the TE quality drops off too much. Just thinking...

I look at it this way. They drafted a player whose ceiling was the 21st pick. Always was. And Gresham was rated as highly as he was only because it was so easy to project him to the Bengals at #21. It fits, if nothing else. But if it's marginal value, and it might be, I comfort myself by noting how high the cost is, how heavily the decision was weighed, and how in the end this is the guy they wanted. And if they selected him a half dozen slots sooner than he might have gone then so be it.

IMHO Safety doesn't have to be next. I'm simply not in the mood to force a second pick in a row. But I would like to come out of this draft with something better than a late round Marvin White or Chinny Ndukwe type.

Absolutely! Part of my apprehension with Jermaine was that I kinda heard that he hadn't been a very physical runner, and obviously that's not true. cheers.gif

Far from the truth, dude is as tough a runner with the ball in his hands as you'll find. Maybe not quite Jeremy Shockey, but close. he will bowl people over. Also, not scared of contact, and will extend his arms, even if a hit is coming.

Frankly, I think Gresham is King Kong when the ball is in his hands. Without it, not so much. But as a receiver he could very easily be better than Shockey, who quite frankly...isn't all that special, and might even be used as Exhibit A in the argument against 1st round TE's.

Frankly, I think Gresham is King Kong when the ball is in his hands. Without it, not so much. But as a receiver he could very easily be better than Shockey, who quite frankly...isn't all that special, and might even be used as Exhibit A in the argument against 1st round TE's.

My comparison to Shockey wasn't as an overall TE, simply as a tough runner with the ball. Shockey may not be one of the top TE's, but he is one of the toughest, and will "knock you the f**k out" as well. That said, Gresham will be a far better overall TE.

My comparison to Shockey wasn't as an overall TE, simply as a tough runner with the ball. Shockey may not be one of the top TE's, but he is one of the toughest, and will "knock you the f**k out" as well. That said, Gresham will be a far better overall TE.

I have NEVER seen Jeremy Shockey make a big play when he wasn't given a free release.

Gresham needs to be better than that.

TE was by far and away the biggest hole on this team. You could make the case that we didn't have an NFL caliber TE on the entire roster. We needed this guy. I really like the pick. For me it was between him and Dez. With Antonio Bryant and Jones we didn't need Dez there.

I look at it this way. They drafted a player whose ceiling was the 21st pick. Always was. And Gresham was rated as highly as he was only because it was so easy to project him to the Bengals at #21. It fits, if nothing else. But if it's marginal value, and it might be, I comfort myself by noting how high the cost is, how heavily the decision was weighed, and how in the end this is the guy they wanted. And if they selected him a half dozen slots sooner than he might have gone then so be it.

IMHO Safety doesn't have to be next. I'm simply not in the mood to force a second pick in a row. But I would like to come out of this draft with something better than a late round Marvin White or Chinny Ndukwe type.

Marvin White is not on the roster, and Chinny (as much as I love the guy) gets lost in coverage. We have 8 picks in this draft...only 6 will likely make the roster. I see them trading up to grab Mays...needs met....now pick BPA for depth.