1st Round: Jermaine Gresham

ArmyBengal

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hate to post it again, but this is the same clip i posted about a month or two ago on a different thread. Good separation, and a tough runner.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLXZq7Rv_NY&feature=player_embedded

It just makes me extremely nervous to take a player coming off an injury in the 1st round. If someone is convinced this guy is great. Make your case. Coffman was the Mackey award winner, leaving college as the reception leader at TE. What makes Grisham that much better? I want to believe!

Well, just to throw something out there on the positive. Coffman was the Mackey winner and wasn't the first TE taken. Had Gresham not gone back to school, he would have went before Pettigrew went in the first. So basically, we have two of the top 3 TE's from last year's draft. I'm not sure that helps greatly, but it sure doesn't hurt either.

I still think he presents mad matchup problems for opposing defenses and will certainly be something the teams in the AFCN will now how to consider.

Two TE sets with both Gresham and Coffman will give Carson all kinds of options to consider.

As I hear it, his serious injury (ACL tear) was actually in High School and long gone/fine. The recent injury was just getting a little cartilage cleaned up - and he decided to protect his draft prospects rather than risk it by coming back early. Anyone have better info?

Hmmm, I never heard that. I always thought it was an ACL blowout. Not to say you're wrong, I just never heard that.

As I hear it, his serious injury (ACL tear) was actually in High School and long gone/fine. The recent injury was just getting a little cartilage cleaned up - and he decided to protect his draft prospects rather than risk it by coming back early. Anyone have better info?

From his 2009 injury story:

Today, Gresham had exploratory surgery in an effort to determine how much damage his knee had sustained.

Stoops said the surgery revealed cartilage damage that will require a five-month rehabilitation, but Gresham's NFL future is intact. Multiple NFL draft projections had the 6-foot-6, 258-pound pass-catcher listed as a first-round choice before he decided to return for his final season at OU.

"For his sake, the rest of the knee looks good, and this is something that heals really well," Stoops said. "So for his long-range future, he'll be fine." Gresham, who was unavailable for comment, was Oklahoma's top returning receiver from last season. He had 950 receiving yards and 14 touchdowns.

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20090908_250_0_NORMAN509232

Hmmm, I never heard that. I always thought it was an ACL blowout. Not to say you're wrong, I just never heard that.

it was just "partially" torn Cartliage. No Ligament damage, he could have potentially played in the Bowl game, but why risk it?

Oh, I agree. But if we're looking at taking a safety in Rd. 2, perhaps the logic was that there's a lot of quality depth in the draft at Safety, but after Gronkowski, who likely won't be available by then, the TE quality drops off too much. Just thinking...

I look at it this way. They drafted a player whose ceiling was the 21st pick. Always was. And Gresham was rated as highly as he was only because it was so easy to project him to the Bengals at #21. It fits, if nothing else. But if it's marginal value, and it might be, I comfort myself by noting how high the cost is, how heavily the decision was weighed, and how in the end this is the guy they wanted. And if they selected him a half dozen slots sooner than he might have gone then so be it.

IMHO Safety doesn't have to be next. I'm simply not in the mood to force a second pick in a row. But I would like to come out of this draft with something better than a late round Marvin White or Chinny Ndukwe type.

See this is about how I feel. When I look at his whole body, I don't think he is nearly worth the 21st pick. But here is hoping everything works out. I honestly feel in the long run he will be an average NFL tight end, and upgrade over what we have, but nothing special in Bratkowski's system.

The only thing left to be concerned about is that Bratkowski actually calls plays that has the ball being thrown to a TE. dry.gif

With the O-Line having a year together with Cook calling things, Look for Carson to read the defense and audible more, thus eliminating Bratkowski from the play calling. Also, if things break down, look for Carson to find Gresham (who finds open spots) when he's getting chased out of the pocket, instead of him usually throwing it away.

Understand guys, TE is not a position you necessarily have to call plays for. If the pocket collapses, DE's, LB's come in, dump it off to the TE. Carson will use Gresham....Bratkowski or no Bratkowski.

I just read his conference call on Bengals.com, and man, I like he kid's attitude. He clearly is willing to come in and work his ass off, and he wants to be the best in the NFL. He also added that he wanted to go back to school to win a championship, which I definitely admire. He also said he wanted to be the best in the league, btu he's also coming in "just fighting to make the team." I like him man, I like him.

Chase and Jermaine both play in the big 12. I'm pretty sure they both played in spead offenses.

/>http://espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=177294
/>http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performers?tabIndex=1#tp-tab-set-1:tp-grid-container-forty-yard-dash

/>http://collegefootball.rivals.com/cviewplayer.asp?Player=64898

Coffman 247 receptions

Gresham 111 receptions

What in the world makes Grisham so much better than Coffman? Look at Grishams combine numbers. What blows you away? If you say look at college production Chase has over a 100 more catches. What am I missing?

1.)Did you need your own thread you couldn't have kept it on the Gresham thread?

2.)Chase played in how many more games? so it's not really that suprising but one strength to Greshams numbers is a 14.0+ avg vs Chases 10.7?

3.)Gresham almost caught as many touchdowns in 2 years that took chase 4

4.)Gresham well isn't exactly a blocking Tight End is still a very willing blocker and has athleticism and Strength that couches feel confident he'll be able to block....which as we seen chase can't do at all yet

5.)Rather then Compare him to Coffman why not just look at the position as a whole? Coffman,Hill & Coats...Maybe Mccoys failed drugtest & Gronks back worried them about 2nd round prospects and after those three there was just too much of a drop off...

6.)Seriously what are people freaking out about,I figure getting Carson a Weapon would make most people Happy...I understand you wanted Dez Byrant but it's obvious they felt a Starting Tight End was more important then a 3rd string WR.

Read the portion of this where Gresham is interviewed: http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Round-1-Transcripts/846bbeb9-6680-4873-8aed-5edfb4414d32

Now, think back to Hard Knocks where Chase is having a hard time assembling words into fully formed sentences.

I am warming to Gresham with each passing minute.

but nothing special in Bratkowski's system.

Well in his Defense because I said the same thing when has he had a Tight End he could scheme around?

-Matt Schobel Loved the guy but had Stone block for hands

-Tony Stewart blocking TE/ Special teamer

-Reggie Kelly Blocking TE not much of a receiving threat

-Daniel Coats Terrible Tight End that found a way to stick to the roster

-JP Foschi after being servicable for us can't even find a job in the NFL and was jobless when we picked him up

-Ben Utecht-Injured Injured never got the chance to play

-Chase Coffman-Lingering Injury Was like putting chad in to block at TE...Developmental pick who was going take time

But now Brat has no Excuses he has 2 Very good receiving threats at Tight End,So we'll see this season if he can utilize them or not if he doesn't well I'm sure we'll all be calling for his head again.

The pick fills probably I biggest need, but I just can't believe we passed on Dez Bryant. Hopefully Gresham proves me wrong, or Bryant busts.

Think How Bronco fans feel they drafted a one dimensional Wide Receiver over him atleast we targeted another position :P

I just read his conference call on Bengals.com, and man, I like he kid's attitude. He clearly is willing to come in and work his ass off, and he wants to be the best in the NFL. He also added that he wanted to go back to school to win a championship, which I definitely admire. He also said he wanted to be the best in the league, btu he's also coming in "just fighting to make the team." I like him man, I like him.

Mayock being my favorite draft guru said that Gresham has the talent to be Probowl TIght End and listening to Hayes and people talked about him did get me pretty psyched...I never had a problem with him just worried about how brat would use him....but I look at this way Either Brat will utilize him and Chase next year or he'll be jobless.

PS,I asked about him not attending the Draft I guess he just wanted to spend the day alone not with family,friends or no one. Seems like a real serious dude.

Yes. I needed my own thread. I'm not praising, or crapping on the pick. I'm asking what's the difference.

-Gresham is considered to have the talent to be a Probowl Tight End (Mayocks Opinion atleast)

-Gresham is a 1st round talent not a 3rd/4th

-Gresham is a Better blocker

-More athleticly gifted that he'll knock you over (see part him running in to Hayes) Vs Bouncing off you.

-Was a Touchdown Machine in College had a higher avg per catch then coffman

-Comparing Measurable's Gresham is 6'5 260lbs Coffman coming out was 6'6 240lbs.

-