1st Round: Jermaine Gresham

ArmyBengal

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....it's been a week, folks.....

When I saw all those lineman coming off the board so early - half the picks from 1-20 were linemen - I pretty much knew the jig was up

so, per my bet with The Pimp
/>http://forums.bengalszone.com/index.php?showtopic=21507&view=findpost&p=318816

Reggie?

av-984.jpg

Dude......I know you're angry, but I'll see you again in a week.

What? You want me to convince Pimp that a TE is essentially a 6th OL, more or less an extra Offensive tackle?

Uhhhhhh......I don't think he'll buy it

See you next week, dude

and now.......

PIMP

MY

av-2710.png

....and now

UN-PIMP

MY

av-984.jpg

Welcome back, Mr Myles, you have been missed

Folks dissing special teams left and right this past week

Set them straight, my good man!

After listening to all the drama that Dez Bryant has brought himself over the past year. (I know the media has puffed it up a bit).

I am glad we didnt take him. It just seems he is going to be like this from now on.

Even if Miami asked if his mom was a prostitute. (Though Miami has since put out the context of the questioning and they say Dez said his dad was a pimp and his mom works for his dad.) I just think Dez shouldnt have said anything and went on his way. He has already been suspended for lying. I just am glad we didnt take him. Seems like a headache.

Go Gresham

Who Dey

While I wasn't thrilled with this pick neither will I ascribe Akili Smith status to it.

Had Gresham come out last year he would have gone ahead of Pettigrew who went in the first round last year to the Lions. He is a legitimate first round talent and the only player in the draft other than Gronkowski that has the potential to be a down field threat, a threat across the middle and a servicable blocker inline, and while we are talking about Gronkowski his injury was a back injury not a ligament tear and there was serious concerns pre-draft that his injury could be career threatening. No doubt Gresham carried to top grade amoung TEs in this draft, I have only seen one draft publication (or site) that had another TE rated ahead of him and that publication (the sporting news) had Jonathon Crompton as the #2 QB.

My issue with the draft had little to do with the player and more to do with the prospects who were available at that time. If our goal was to draft a pass catching threat, Jimmy Graham might end up being the best pass catcher ala Gonzalez and Gates i.e. former power forward with limited football experience but great hands and great moves in traffic. and we could have had him in the third.

I would say that in this new three-step offense

(the one Hair giddily describes as "run the ball, play defense, print playoff tickets")

you need a three down TE, not just a pass catcher. Albeit you also need the sure hands and the ability to simply find openings at or just past the first down marker to ocassionally move the chains by air and help keep the opposing secondary honest, not in the box every down.

I know Gresham's profile is more that of a pass catcher, but other things I have read about him suggests he can contribute as a blocker as well. He certainly has the size and athleticism for it.

If both Gresham and Coffman are able to block and are healthy at the same time, it could make for a helluva time for the opposing DC to plot for - do his linebackers play the run or cover the pass? And if pass, can one LB cover either TE? I'd guess not.

If both Gresham and Coffman are able to block and are healthy at the same time, it could make for a helluva time for the opposing DC to plot for - do his linebackers play the run or cover the pass?

If Gresham produces....(pause)....it should be enough to greatly reduce a defenses ability to play zone coverages. And that should pay big dividends because Chad simply can't beat zone coverages.