Week 9: Bills @ Bengals Game Thread

HoosierCat

I don't want a tight, hard fought game.  I want to see them hand the Bills their asses.
I fucking hate those clowns.  I don't want to see any mention of Damar Hamlin or any of the niceties that have been afforded them in the past.
It's the past, Hamlin is playing again, and they need to focus on doing more of what they did against the 49er's.

In other words, don't make their stay any more comfortable and welcoming than it has to be.
Just go bury them.

I like the Bengals offense against the Bills defense (assuming things continue to click.

I'm not sure that I like the Bengals defense against the Bills offense. Anarumo has amassed a great resume for shutting down top-flight QBs, so perhaps he does it again. The raw matchup though is a bit scary. Consider what Purdy was able to do with his legs and how that might translate with Josh Allen instead. The big chunk plays in the passing game are also a concern against Diggs/Davis/Knox/Kincaid. They'll have their work cut out for them, and their success might depend upon the effectiveness of the pass rush. Hopefully Trey is full go.

3 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

Can someone with PFF paywall access give me his current 2023 PFF ratings (run and pass) for Volsen and also his per game PFF ratings?  He seems to be getting better after a rough start

I don't have the full season grade, but here's a rundown of his per-game grades (click the spoiler):

Spoiler

My trust in PFF has degraded, but at least the numbers mostly bear out what you describe.

2 hours ago, TJJackson said:

Can someone with PFF paywall access give me his current 2023 PFF ratings (run and pass) for Volsen and also his per game PFF ratings?  He seems to be getting better after a rough start

Volsen’s over at your mom’s right now, go ask him yourself.

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, Stripes said:

That'd be fun, though I suspect any Burrow-MVP conversation is already over (even if he plays at that level the rest of the way).

Maybe it is, but it shouldn't be.   He avoided the huge INT game during the slow start that just sinks your rating.   If he can start stacking good games he'll climb pretty fast.

Mahomes the favorite is sitting sub 100 rating mostly due to 15-8 ratio. 

So another week in the books. In addition to the Browns and Steelers losing, the Bengals gained from the Texans' choke job against Carolina, moving up from 10th to 9th in the AFC playoff race behind the pesky Jets.

Though tied overall with Cleveland and Pitt, they fall behind both due to multiple tiebreakers, so for now they remain the only AFC North team not in the playoffs.

Matchups this week:

Titans @ Steelers (Thursday night): Steelers looked awful last weekend and might have to start Trubisky this week, while rookie QB Will Levis threw 4 TDs in his first start for Tennessee. So hopefully both trends continue. Thursday games are notoriously unpredictable though.

Cardinals @ Browns: I mean, Carolina won last week so any given Sunday, right? Yeah, I know, probably not.

Seahawks @ Ravens: Probably Ravens. If it were in Seattle I'd say probably Seahawks.

Chargers @ Jets (MNF): Chargers should crush them but even if they do they are right behind us at 3-4 now, so the Bengals swap one threat for another.

I again heard an old saying that o-linemen are probably doing a good job when no one talks about them.

Well speaking of someone no one talks about, who was the talk of the off season...

How has Jonah Williams been doing at the RT spot?  I don't think I've heard his name brought up at all.
He's started every game and taken every offensive snap.  He hasn't had a single penalty called against him.
He's allowed 3 sacks, with an overall grade of 69.6 per PFF, although I have never really understood those grades to be honest.

Has anyone really been paying attention to him to this point?  Any other thoughts on his play?
Just curious...

On 10/31/2023 at 9:24 AM, HoosierCat said:

So another week in the books. In addition to the Browns and Steelers losing, the Bengals gained from the Texans' choke job against Carolina, moving up from 10th to 9th in the AFC playoff race behind the pesky Jets.

Though tied overall with Cleveland and Pitt, they fall behind both due to multiple tiebreakers, so for now they remain the only AFC North team not in the playoffs.

Matchups this week:

Titans @ Steelers (Thursday night): Steelers looked awful last weekend and might have to start Trubisky this week, while rookie QB Will Levis threw 4 TDs in his first start for Tennessee. So hopefully both trends continue. Thursday games are notoriously unpredictable though.

Cardinals @ Browns: I mean, Carolina won last week so any given Sunday, right? Yeah, I know, probably not.

Seahawks @ Ravens: Probably Ravens. If it were in Seattle I'd say probably Seahawks.

Chargers @ Jets (MNF): Chargers should crush them but even if they do they are right behind us at 3-4 now, so the Bengals swap one threat for another.

Well what sucks is both the Jets and Browns have no QB to speak of so they win with defense, and hope the team they beat is worse then them. If Taylor does not go out for the Giants I don’t see how the Jets lose. The Colts should have beat the Browns if not for the refs. So if these teams actually played good teams there record would never be like this.

Oh and the Browns play the Cards of course who will be starting some no name QB, so here comes another win for the Browns unless the Cards defense can somehow win it.

Looks like they heard our complaints over on the free agent thread.

The Bengals signed tight end Tanner Hudson to the active roster on Wednesday morning. 

The veteran has four receptions for 48 yards in two games this season. 

Hudson, 28, has a good rapport with Joe Burrow and could serve as the Bengals' primary pass catching tight end. Cincinnati had an open roster spot after placing rookie running back Chase Brown on injured reserve this week. 

The Bengals also signed Clay Johnston to the practice squad. He played in 23 regular season games for the Bengals over the past two seasons. He became a free agent in March.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just don't get the worry of TE.   They have 8/9 players registering targets/receptions.   The key for any TE with this group will be consistently converting first downs.   But they are using so many different personnel groups that a TE is unlikely going to garner major targets to be among the top 3.

Hayden Hurst's largest output last year was 57 yards.  He caught 2 total TDs.    Had 59 yard game in the playoffs and a TD.    With about 49% snap count.

This season will be even harder for a TE to get big games because they have Sample used for blocking snaps and he's getting about 24% of snaps.  That's why he was drafted and how they want to use Sample.   There is some overlap because at time they'll have 2 TEs.  But there's only 1 ball to use.  They also have Irwin, Iosivas finding opportunities.  Eventually Jones could get a couple snaps once returned.

Unless the Bengals start hitting the 70 play mark its unlikely to move the needle.    Irv Smith the whipping boy has been hair away from a couple big plays.   1 was spoiled by pressure.  The other was a great effort but didn't get the 2nd toe down.    Either one of those go the other way and there isn't quite as much noise.  

I just don't see this as a big void.   With this group the Bengals don't need a dynamic TE.    Maybe once Boyd and Higgins leave, if they do.

Having a competent receiving threat at TE expands the playbook, makes the Bengals less predictable, opens otherwise narrowed route trees, and provides insurance if one of the three receivers is injured. It isn't the most important thing in the world, but it's certainly valuable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• HoosierCat changed the title to Week 9: Bills @ Bengals Game Thread