Training Camp and Preseason Thread 2023 - News and Obs

membengal

Too early but man, I wonder how effective DJ Turner is going to be this season.   So far looks like he's going to need more time.  Just keep seeing him get burned and mis-play balls (had one nice play today though).  May be nothing as it's just camp, will see what he does in preseason.

You don't mess with the Burrow injury at this point,  can't imagine it'll keep him out of any regular season games unless he re-aggravates it, but I imagine they're just being overly cautious (obviously).  Just wonder if he'll come out rusty again like last season started or not.

Reports from various sources about today's joint team practice with the Packers

1. Jonah Williams thrived at RT.  Won many match ups

2. Trey Hill running with the 1s at RG while Cappa out.

3. Defense dominated the day vs. Packers offense

4. Myles Murphy got snaps against Packers 1s and flashed as did Sample.  Mixing in my camp observations from Sunday this D-line might be a top 5 unit.  They just look big and fast.

5. Packers D frustrated Bengals offense and from the sounds of it the blame falls at the QBs.   Don't think Higgins participated.

9 hours ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

Too early but man, I wonder how effective DJ Turner is going to be this season.   So far looks like he's going to need more time.  Just keep seeing him get burned and mis-play balls (had one nice play today though).  

Wtaf. That’s literally the opposite of EVERY bit of reporting and obs from camp. Like, literally wrong. This is the kind of shit why I stopped checking in here as much. And why I stopped putting up daily reports from camp. So much negativity in general. 

Happy to see Burrow walking around out in the open.   It felt like they were hiding him in the belly of Paycor.    Still not encouraged by the Zac "several weeks" from the time I said "several weeks" comments.

Overall Burrow will be fine.   But I would love for him to have a fast start to the season and get the MVP talk going early.

Didn't Mixon mysteriously miss practice during his contract talks a few years ago?  Then magically returned once the deal was done.    Just wondering out loud IF that might be clouding up the Burrow return timeline.    He's walking around no boot just compression stuff.   No comment on the timeline to return is weird, IMO.

If I was Burrow or his agent.   My advice would have been not to be on that practice field in the first place.   He's scheduled to earn $5.5m this year.  IF a deal was that close he would be cashing for $80-100m.   Just too much money to risk a non contact injury or someone rolling into you etc.

No comment on contract talks is cute and all IF it gets done in an immediate timeline.   Now its dragging on?  Then there's basically a "no comment" on return.  Just weird.

Dehner - from his column yesterday on the rookies so far in camp:

CB DJ Turner (2/60)

Role: Rotating with Sidney Jones between backup and starting corner alongside Cam Taylor-Britt. Will settle into a backup spot whenever Chidobe Awuzie returns.

Play that stands out: There have been many, but Turner tracked a deep ball intended for Stanley Morgan on Day 2 then flew into the air to get his hands on the pass and nearly picked it off. This showed off his freaky athleticism to make a play on the run and how he could quickly develop into a playmaker.

Key quote: “I’ve heard that literally my entire life. So I’m used to that comment. It doesn’t faze me. I used to play safety. I’m not scared to hit.” — Turner on anyone questioning his physicality when the pads are on.

Analysis: He has made the most encouraging first impression in the entire class. Turner should be able to contribute this year and could easily develop into a quality starter sooner rather than later. If his understanding of the game continues to evolve to match his athleticism, the Bengals might have struck gold.

First-impression grade: A

Turner got some sort of 98 grade from the practice yesterday.     Which is it always awesome to hear positives about players from your team.    However,  these grades aren't worth a shit.

I've been to practices several times at those fields.   The best view you can get is almost ground level sideline view.  How the hell is anyone putting analysis on quality of play in the moment?     NFL coaches go back an analyze film that's taken from the eye in the sky.

Most of the time you have to look through people standing around the field etc.  Also alot of the time jersey numbers are not visible.  

Ridiculous someone would put a grade out unless they sat down with that film. 

The 98 was a joke from a PFF guy there - he wasn't being literal. What he WAS saying was that DJ Turner was flashing really well (again). Or, you know, he sucks, like Shula said. This board remains too full of ***damn eeyores. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, membengal said:

The 98 was a joke from a PFF guy there - he wasn't being literal. What he WAS saying was that DJ Turner was flashing really well (again). Or, you know, he sucks, like Shula said. This board remains too full of ***damn eeyores. 

His jokes suck too, I guess. 

39 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

I'm guessing Burrow returns shortly after whatever deal they are working on is signed.    Tweaked his calf and reality hit his team and agent what buffoons they are running around a practice field playing touch football when a huge pay day in on the line. 

The Bengals don't have to give him a deal, so I'm not sure I understand him returning after he gets his deal.
They picked up his 5th year option for 2024, so if they so desired, they could sit on it for the time being.  They could turn their attention to getting Tee's deal done and then revisit Burrow at a later date.

While I would rather see them get Burrow's deal done, that happening is not predicated on his injury.

On 8/10/2023 at 10:23 AM, membengal said:

I don’t feel like a total downer.  I’m super excited about this season, it’s a serious window.  I’m not going to predict this or that, but man, we’re looking pretty damn good.

Having said all that - we had Super Bowl winning potential the last two years.  In both the Super Bowl game and last year’s AFC championship game, we had what I thought was the better overall team.  

But in both those games the o line basically couldn’t hang.  Even with an average o-line, we win both those games.  I think the bengals agree, based on their acquisition of Orlando Brown. 

Pollack put his trust in Jonah at left tackle and moving him to right is a tacit admission that that trust was misplaced.  So when I read Pollack singing the praises of Jonah at right, I am not enthusiastic, put it that way.  

It would be amazing if Jonah can be a mid level right tackle.  We need him to be that.  

• Like 1

Jonah being an at least average RT is well within his capability.
It's not like he never played the position or that it's such a huge endeavor that it can't be overcome.
I think it's him getting out of his own damn way.  He was butthurt by Brown coming in.  Get over it.
Him being more versatile will bring him more money on the open market next year, he's good.

Just play well, win a Super Bowl, and then go cash in with another team in free agency.  Buh bye.
If he were that irreplaceable, the team wouldn't have brought in Brown without a thought and make him the starter.

3/5 of the starting o-line was gone for the afc title game. Before that, when they were together, they ran off 10 straight regular season wins. And that is before Orlando brown. 

I just…it seems like the last loss, which was a game they really had every chance to win even with just Volson and Karras healthy, has colored things too negatively with this board. I know that the trophy is somehow all that matters, except, these last two years have been the best two seasons back to back that we’ve ever experienced as fans of this team and it feels like a fucking dirge in here too often. 

im 52 now, and maybe feeling the weight of the passage of time, but I just can’t always be sad and negative.  The years are starting to run shorter than they were. Odds are, as with all teams, they won’t hoist the Lombardi, but…they might. They are good enough. Hoping burrow is healthy and I look forward to another ride with this team, even if it is not perfect.

Dude, I love this team and am fucking amped beyond belief for this season to get going.
I love the free agents we brought in, I love the rookies we drafted and we will have another great season.

We will be screaming tonight just like it was a real game.

FOOTBALL IS FUCKING BACK IN THE NATI BITCHES !!

• Like 1