Training Camp and Preseason Thread 2023 - News and Obs

membengal

I'm cautiously optimistic at this point.
I don't think teams have to share injury information during this time of the season, but I could be wrong.
That being the case, I don't want to sway too much to either side of Burrow's injury.

Week 1 is September 10, so as of now they 6 full weeks until then.  Obviously he will have to be practicing before then, but I think there is time.  My concern is rust like we saw early in the season last year.

I think Williams will command a contract in Free Agency that will require more cap than the Bengals will be willing to pay at this point.   Its the best interest of the team IF Carman or any other can displace him as s viable starter at RT.

Still, let the best 5 sort themselves out.  Then the next 5.   See if you can stash or trade the remaining.  

• Like 1

Details on Hendrickson’s extension are out.

https://overthecap.com/player/trey-hendrickson/5689#google_vignette

Bottom line, no cap savings this year, cap hit goes up next year. (Tho they can cut him next year and save $12 million vs. the cap.) From the link:

In 2023 the Bengals and Hendrickson agreed to a one year extension worth a total of $21 million. As part of the extensi9n the Bengals gave Hendrickson an $8 million signing bonus in 2023 and increased his salary for that year by $5 million. His 2024 salary remains the same as his original contract. His cap number in 2023 is virtually unchanged while his 2024 cap number increased by $2.67 million.

Trey would have a cap hit over $20 million next season, so if our new first round pick works out this extension feels more like a parting gift.

Jonah won’t be commanding shit if he gets beat out by a guy that hasn’t been able to beat out anyone. Couple that with an injury history and teams should be cautious.

He’s not serving his own purpose in not going after this year like a beast. Too much money riding on him not being a little bitch.

• Like 1

As the pads come on there will be more to chew with the line.  But yesterday is the first positive OL training camp report I've heard in about 8 years or more.    I don't think they dominated but sounded like they held their own. 

Usually its about them getting whooped.

• Like 1

On 7/31/2023 at 8:10 PM, HoosierCat said:

Details on Hendrickson’s extension are out.

https://overthecap.com/player/trey-hendrickson/5689#google_vignette

Bottom line, no cap savings this year, cap hit goes up next year. (Tho they can cut him next year and save $12 million vs. the cap.) From the link:

Trey would have a cap hit over $20 million next season, so if our new first round pick works out this extension feels more like a parting gift.

The extension looks very Bengal friendly.   They basically can determine if Trey is worth it before each season.   Trey gets $18m this year for the trade off and will get rewarded IF his production is too much to cut.

• Like 1

Updates from Hobs:

Running back Trayveon Williams rolled his ankle in warmups and reported on social media it's a mild sprain and he'll be back in a couple of weeks ….

Undrafted rookie defensive lineman Devonnsha Maxwell from Tennessee-Chattanooga was also carted off with what appeared to be a knee injury 

Shouldn’t really be surprising to be honest. I think people either didn’t know or forget that Jonah was a freshmen All American at RT his first season at Alabama.

It’s part of the reason his reluctance has irritated me. He’s more than capable and then showing his versatility can only pay off when he hits free agency next year.

Just get after it Jonah, we have a Super Bowl to win !!

Going to completely hit on this Hall of Fame Game parlay, then retire.  All 3 have to happen, but I’m confident.

1. A division 3 try hard gets a compound fracture in his femur.  Tells Erin Andrews he’ll rehab and come back stronger than ever, not giving up on his dream!

2.  During the broadcast Chris Collinsworth spends more than 8 minutes telling us how great the Pittsburgh Steelers organization is, even though they’re not even in the game.

3.  The division 3 try hard who got his femur compound fractured last year gets in the game, gets destroyed and sustains a massive brain injury.  He’s unconscious when they take him off the field, but his dad is there and he tells Erin Andrews his son will rehab and come back stronger than ever, not giving up on his dream!

• Haha 1

True Fact - They open a new runway at the Canton municipal airport every year in August to allow the giant group of orthopedic surgeons who show up to fix all the mangled Division 2 football players who list their position as “Effort Guy” and get intro the Hall of Fame Game just long enough to get their shit completely wrecked.