Training Camp and Preseason Thread 2023 - News and Obs

membengal

Injury notes from Hobs, nothing major:

_Taylor said defensive tackle B.J. Hill had lower body soreness Sunday that's going to keep him out but not for long. He said offensive lineman Cody Ford and cornerback Marvell Tell III are in concussion protocol and that cornerback DJ Turner was sore after Friday night's game and is going to be kept out awhile, but it's not serious.

Cornerback Sidney Jones IV (hamstring) is out. Tight end Tanner Hudson (concussion) has been back this week, as is edge Tarell Basham.

I think Wilcox definitely makes the team both for STs and as a backup receiver -- he did a decent job on spot duty last year. Sample going wouldn't surprise me much. I'm not sure what he offers at this point. He's supposed to be a good blocker, but is that even true?

13 hours ago, Stripes said:

I think Wilcox definitely makes the team both for STs and as a backup receiver -- he did a decent job on spot duty last year. Sample going wouldn't surprise me much. I'm not sure what he offers at this point. He's supposed to be a good blocker, but is that even true?

Yes, he is a good blocker. But he doesn’t offer anything special as a receiver and his presence can end up being a tell as to what the play is. I’ve read mixed reviews on Smith’s blocking but the consensus appears to be he’s at least OK and he offers more pop as a receiver.

Taylor remains noncommittal about Burrow’s return.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/joe-burrow-remains-out-of-practice-and-zac-taylor-says-well-see-about-this-week

I agree that the cuts at QB suggest they expect him back in week one, but also agree that the contract situation is an issue. Bengals continue to play with fire here imo.

So I saw this story by Graziano on espn+ offering up 32 "potential surprises" for each team.  So what's the big surprise in store for us Bengals fans? Drum roll, please...

Don't be surprised if ... rookie running back Chase Brown carves out a role in Year 1.

Well, Dan, I promise you that I won't. In fact, I can pretty much guarantee that no one will be surprised when (not if) this happens.

I have to admit that I was not happy with the last play of the AFCCG when Ossai hit Mahomes out of bounds.
My son and I walked back to the car cold and angry.  I didn't say much until I got to the car and I exploded.
I was so fucking angry with that play I just couldn't stand it.  Of course, you move on and keep rooting for guys.

If you haven't seen the recent interview with Ossai, this is well worth your 10 minutes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pJdtXV5jaI

• Like 1