Round 1 (28): Myles Murphy, DE Clemson

HoosierCat

Quality pick.   Hard to argue it really.    The biggest thing is he was productive and yet they say still raw.   A lot of upside.    With 2 DEs taken afterward there will always be direct comparisons.

There should be snaps for him.   Their DEs have played a lot of snaps.

Weaknesses: 

has a little bit of ankle tightness around the arc. long speed and burst are only above average. size may not be enough to kick inside and rotate around the defensive line. hand quickness is modest and leads to reliance on technique and power over quickness.  range isn’t enough to take on any coverage duties in the flats

Pro Comp: 

Bradley Chubb, Dolphins. — Like Chubb, Murphy has the type of game that will be able to translate immediately to the pros. He may not reach Chubbs 12 sack mark as a rookie, but should be able to translate, his size, athleticism, and technical prowess into high-level starter play.  may deal with some limitations as far as hand, speed and flexibility, but lands heavy with his hands, and can be trusted rushing the passer or setting an edge

grade: 8.3. 

Lindys Sports Annuals

2 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

Quality pick.   Hard to argue it really.    The biggest thing is he was productive and yet they say still raw.   A lot of upside.    With 2 DEs taken afterward there will always be direct comparisons.

There should be snaps for him.   Their DEs have played a lot of snaps.

I like that they got their DE ahead of the run. Always like to start a run rather than end it. 

Oh god I’m old old old. Thanks Geoff you fucker.

Murphy, who racked up 18.5 sacks and 36 tackles for loss in 35 games, instantly becomes the youngest Bengal. At 21, he's the first defensive lineman taken by the Bengals in the first round since defensive end Justin Smith went No. 4 overall in 2001, a few months before the 6-5, 268-pound Murphy would be born the following January.

Pardon me while I crumble into dust like those old Brendon Frazier mummy movies…

Here were big board ranks for Murphy from various of the draft types:

Murphy  rankings:

brugler: 21

bleacher report: 3 (yes 3)

mcshay: 24

kiper: 25

zerlein:25

PFF: 17

Pauline: 9

Jeremiah: 21

Jordan Reid: 19

Joel Klatt: 12

He's fine, only 6.5 sacks last year as an outside Edge guy is hardly impressive, but fits the mold here like others said, and should produce like Hubbard and get to the QB a bit more than Hubbard does.  

They really needed depth on the Edge in the worst way and he was the best guy available.   Hopefully OL in the 2nd.  They literally have no one to play RT other than Adeniji at the moment, might become an issue.

I love love love

L O V E

this pick

(Got a few idle minutes during this graduation)

P A S S  R U S H is as I've been saying all offseason the number 1 team need

If there is something for me to be pissed off about, it is that the Rapistbergers once again took the guy we wanted.  Or at least my personal fave, and Army's

I love that this guy will play DT On passing downs.  pass rush specifically on the inside is the bigger need

Love that 3 other DEs were taken right afterwards.  Start the run, dont grab the tail end

Big fan of this guy

A W E S O M E.  

Now gimme an ORT in r2

Or a three down TE.....the guy has to block for New Guy, not just catch his passes

Distant third choice would be a outside CB with speed.  Not awful, but solid.

This dude lets us cycle quality in and out, down after down.  At the worst, he makes our existing guys better by giving them breaks, at best he plays to his athletic potential and wreaks havoc.

Very noticeable:  once again this team picks a certain kind of guy.  Football committed, not much ego, decent human being.  That formula works.

Hey everyone, long week of work in DC and ended up being a late night of traveling.
I missed watching the whole first round for the first time in a very ling time.

So to start, early on in the draft, I thought looking at getting more pass rush from the interior was the best way to go.
However, this guy can play both inside and outside with his size and speed.  6'5, 270, with 4.5 speed.
I simply always thought, like most mocks showed leading up to the draft, that he would have been long gone.

I really like this pick.  It checks the box of adding to the pass rush and represents really good value at the bottom of the 1st round.
Like I said heading into the draft, when looking at who else was on the board, there were both CB's and TE's that make sense and I would not have complained about.  However, pass rush obviously is a higher priority when considering all the QB talent in the AFC.  We have to be able to keep getting after them.

If I were to incorporate a grade for this selection, it would get an "A" at this point.
Again, I quite honestly never gave him much thought because no one thought he was going to go beyond #15.
All the guys I was hoping would be there were gone. OT Darnell Wright, DT Calijah Kancey, and RB Jahmyr Gibbs

Great get for the Bengals !!

• Thanks 1

What if I told you , Nick Eason, our former d-line coach, and who was Murphy's coach at Clemson, said today that Murphy didn't run his 40 in a straight line and there was just enough swerve that he was likely gonna be in the 4.4s...

I would say 4.4 is amazing.  Because a guy that big running a 4.5 is ridiculous already.
I remember the days going back where when a WR or CB ran a 4.4 it was considered "elite" in that category.
Love that added speed element he brings when considering the likes of Patrick Mahomes, Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson and other QB with legs.
Can't wait to see him in the rotation and see if they add him much in the 3T role.

Athletically the dude is a freak. And while you can ask about his production, he’s only 21. There’s a good chance that given a year or two of seasoning he’s going to be wrecking QBs like Godzilla wrecks Tokyo. 

Apparently this pick is widely hated. Once again I am so grateful I quit twitter.

It's Goodberry's fault mostly. Everyone takes their cues from him and he dug in ahead of time.  I got into it with him this AM.    Anyone NOT in Gooberry's sphere like the pick, and outside observers are almost universally praised it. 

• Like 1

That’s sad to hear. All I know is I clicked on a Malik Wright video and he starts shouting about how the Bengals suck and don’t care about winning if they don’t trade up to get Mayer tonight. Don’t get me wrong I’m a Mayer stan but I was unaware he was a golden god without whom all is folly.

I have not heard Joe's opinion on the pick but I am worried..  here was a 5 star recruit who came out like gang busters his freshman year but regressed the next two....his impact on games was inconsistent at best and that bodes badly for his NFL projection