Round 1 (28): Myles Murphy, DE Clemson

HoosierCat

I haven’t seen one negative thing about this pick.  True I have limited social media, but a lot of stuff was posted in here, all positive.  

This kid’s a good player, has all the physical attributes, and is by all accounts a dedicated hard worker.  WTF.  What else do you want.

17 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

All I know is that per pff he grades out better than any DE on the roster not named Hendrickson. So I’m not going to hold it against him that he had an oddly good freshman year.

Were not his years for soph and junior Covid years? And then for his senior year his DC left along with a ton of staff? I mean...context. Does no one do context anymore?

17 minutes ago, COB said:

I haven’t seen one negative thing about this pick.  True I have limited social media, but a lot of stuff was posted in here, all positive.  

This kid’s a good player, has all the physical attributes, and is by all accounts a dedicated hard worker.  WTF.  What else do you want.

Like wraith said, his big first year set expectations high and he was just good after that, so that has people wondering. I think that’s a little unfair, but ok. But also there seems to be a bunch of folks who really, really, really had their hearts set on Mayer. Local kid, Bengals fan, said its his dream to play for the team, so there’s a lot of agita that they passed.

1 minute ago, membengal said:

Were not his years for soph and junior Covid years? And then for his senior year his DC left along with a ton of staff? I mean...context. Does no one do context anymore?

Definitely may have played into it. And no, no one does context any more. This is a hot takes world and we’re stuck living in it.

Hobs' notes on Murphy:

FIRST ROUND: Clemson edge Myles Murphy: Suffice to say, the appearance of Murphy at No. 28 stunned the draft room. Director of player personnel Duke Tobin's staff had so much regard for him that they figured the last time they would see him in the Paycor Stadium offices was when they said good-bye to him after his visit a few weeks ago. This guy wouldn't drop out of the top ten, right?

So when they grabbed Murphy on Thursday night, senior defensive assistant Mark Duffner, who works with the edge players, came charging out of his office to greet the scouts and head coach Zac Taylor. The man who popularized the war cry, "They have to play us," during last season's playoff run kept it simple.

"I had a Who Dey proclamation and a Thank God proclamation," Duffner says.

Ever since COVID, Duffner has become one of the most prolific Zoomers in the NFL when it comes to scouting edgers. But after all that, Murphy became the first defensive lineman to be drafted by the Bengals in the first round since 2001, when Duffner was the Bengals defensive coordinator, without a Duffner Zoom. That's because Murphy came in for a visit, which confirmed what they already knew. Quality all the way.

But here's what Duffner saw on tape. A guy who fits defensive coordinator Lou Anarumo's versatility requirement. Edges have to magically turn into backers at times.

"The one characteristic I look for is recoverability," Duffner says. "He can recover and get back into a play. He's got the great ratio of a quick get-off, quickness, length and speed."

Senior personnel executive Trey Brown, who pretty much floats through every region as well as free agency with director of college scouting Mike Potts and director of pro scouting Steven Radicevic, says it's a good reminder to put the work in on everybody on the board no matter what. That's why they scheduled him for a visit.

"He's not just an athlete who tests well off the field. His physical traits show up on the field," Brown says. "He's excellent when converting speed to power consistently going against offensive tackles. He's excellent chasing on the back side of plays."

Defensive line coach Marion Hobby came in two years ago already as a highly-regarded guy and his stock has kept rising with his Bengals' unit that has been a key part of the franchise's renaissance. It looks like Hobby, a former national championship co-defensive coordinator at Clemson who followed Murphy's college career, has another one.

"He's an excellent teacher," Duffner says of Hobby. "He's got a way to connect to players and get across the fundamentals. He's very good position technique coach."

Now Hobby and Duffner have the guy they didn't think they'd get.

"Surprised? Duffner is asked. "I think everyone in the country is surprised."

A bit of an addendum to this pick: Kelsey Conway apparently talked to Ossai today. You might recall he was dealing with knee and labrum injuries (and had surgery for the latter) after the season. He’ll miss the offseason program due to ongoing rehab work. Says he “should” be available opening day.

Yes, 100% even happier with this pick when that news dropped. The depth at edge with Ossai shelved until August and then some uncertainty until he actually returns would have been...not optimal. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

In all the draft hoopla, I tend to forget of what else has happened and that the team had also added Tarell Basham to the DE mix as well.  With Murphy, Ossai and Basham, I am really liking the depth we have at the position.

It’s not bad and hopefully training camp will get some more competition going.  We’ll see how the d line shakes out.