Round 1 (28): Myles Murphy, DE Clemson

HoosierCat

• HoosierCat changed the title to Round 1 (28): Myles Murphy, DE Clemson

Definite faller from mocks. Fit my being okay with DE/Edge if it was a faller. Just hard with Mayer right there. Still, I won't be complaining.

Hopefully TJ doesn't tomorrow either since I think this was what he wanted. 

Classic LouA DE/Edge. Literally the right size speed and effort kinda guy. Hopefully getting with Trey and Sam helps him unlock his talent fully, because I felt like he left a lot of meat on the bone for Clemson. 

Just now, Stripes said:

I am so clueless about this year's prospects that I don't even know who this is, but that's no complaint. I know nothing, and the pass rush definitely needed help. Cool beans.

He was predicted to go long before now in most mocks over the last few months. So, a faller - I don't know that they expected to have the option of taking him. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

Pass rush was a huge need,  just not real high on Murphy, but not sure there was a better option in the draft with his ceiling.   Hoping for Kuntz and/or Whyle at TE later, and a legit RT in 2nd maybe.

He could not be more prototypcial for what LouA wants at Edge in his D.  He's perfect for what we do. And will be with tremendous mentors. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, membengal said:

He was predicted to go long before now in most mocks over the last few months. So, a faller - I don't know that they expected to have the option of taking him. 

Their pick was in like 30 seconds after the Jags was announced. They literally could not get to the podium fast enough. We will see if they are right but clearly they were amazed he was still there.

We needed more pressure on qbs, hopefully he’ll come through.  I’m also very glad we didn’t end up with Joey porter’s kid.  Nothing against the kid, but it would have been a big ask for us to all forget all the cheap shit his dad pulled all those years on the Steelers.

4 minutes ago, membengal said:

LouA - "he will be in the rotation right away"

So..there we go. 

Of course. In today’s NFL the two main guys are the QB and guys who can get to the QB. Lou will have him on the field from day 1.

2 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Of course. In today’s NFL the two main guys are the QB and guys who can get to the QB. Lou will have him on the field from day 1.

Hendrickson, Hubbard, Ossai - it's not like the cupboard was bare - so noteworthy to me that Lou is straight to "oh yeah, he gonna play"

6 minutes ago, membengal said:

Hendrickson, Hubbard, Ossai - it's not like the cupboard was bare - so noteworthy to me that Lou is straight to "oh yeah, he gonna play"

Rotation can’t be strong enough. If you can fling fresh heat seeking missiles at the QB every snap you do it all day long.

Myles Murphy - 6’5, 275 40 time : 4.71         1st Round 

Lindy’s Sports Annuals 

Strengths:

Former top-five recruit largely lived up to expectations as a dominant end with great traits, earned freshman all America honors in 2020 while starting six games as a true freshman and locked down the starting job full-time as a junior. failed to draw all America honors or put up elite numbers as a sack artist. but tools have helped him remain a consensus top 10 target. would be a surprise if he falls on draft night giving the boxes he checks and his complete game strengths, borderline perfect build for a defensive end enormous and Long limbed with perimeter size to set The edge.  gets out of stance well and has burst to threaten offensive tackles around the arc. Workmanlike hands are powerful and accurate, strong, run defender with an ideal anchor for holding ground and redirecting ball carriers, good engine to run down plays and win with effort. experience with both a hand down and standing up. easy power, handles to step up and weight class easy strider, feel for playing through contact and asserting his physicality jumps off the tape. 

• Like 1