Random 2023 Bengals stuff before FA and what not

membengal

On 3/2/2023 at 8:21 AM, TJJackson said:

Bit of a follow-up. Apparently player complaints about the training facilities (they gave them a D- grade) have been heard. Bengals are pouring $3 million into gutting and rebuilding the training room. Good move.

https://www.bengals.com/news/training-room-facelift-mirrors-bengals-efficient-playoff-formula

• Like 1

The NFLPA list was a union bitch fest.   Now we are going to be treated with an update on every facility change just to keep the P-Doc's of the world happy.

If we could just get a weekly lunch menu posted to determine whether or not Mike Brown is doing all he can to win the Superbowl. 

Yes, of course. The state of the training room and the team's health and rehab equipment is exactly as important as the weekly lunch menu and putting the trainers in the best possible position to help players prevent, treat and recover as quickly as possible from injuries is utterly irrelevant to winning a Super Bowl.

I'm concerned about the salt in take of our D-line can P-Doc get to the bottom of this?     Yes they should have the best of the best of the very best.    However, billionaire owner is going to make theirs and millionaire athlete is going to make theirs.   Ever wonder how they pay for their Ultraviolet Hyperbaric Chamber deluxe III they just installed without risking their personal gain? 

Not to dumb this down but Suzanne Somers was working that thigh master decades ago.   No one has figured out that diet and exercise just constantly reinvent the same shit with new words and sell it again?

But by all means continue a sales tax to pay for it.   Move games to London, whatever.     But *** damn it I won't be satisfied until the NFLPA comes out and declares everything is fucking amazing please stop spending money on our players.  

None of this shit worked for Ivan Drago. 

14 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

Honestly, it’s hard for me to envision training and dining facilities for NFL players being anything less than fucking amazingly new and state of the art type shit.

Anything less from billionaire owners really is inexcusable. Well, at least to me.

Old habits die hard and one of them, apparently, is the organization’s penchant for stepping over dollars to pick up pennies. Their biggest expense by far is the players themselves, so a (relatively speaking) tiny investment like state-of-the-art training and rehab equipment will pay for itself very quickly. This is business 101 level stuff but it’s only been in the last few years that it seems to have begun to sink in.

23 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Old habits die hard and one of them, apparently, is the organization’s penchant for stepping over dollars to pick up pennies. Their biggest expense by far is the players themselves, so a (relatively speaking) tiny investment like state-of-the-art training and rehab equipment will pay for itself very quickly. This is business 101 level stuff but it’s only been in the last few years that it seems to have begun to sink in.

Not really.    Suzanne Somers has a thigh master 2023 to sell you and in quick few months you could look like the Hulk. 

Your thesis above is proven false everyday at the youth level sports.    Parents invest in all this crap for their kids.

Sure they get better.   But its the natural athlete that gets the scholarship and pro contract.

A pro athlete is going to do what they need to regardless of equipment.    This is just workplace bitch list and it will never get to the point of wow please stop spending money.   The diet and sports exercise industry reinvents stuff to resell.  

As a paying fan you should be concerned because profits from the owner and player are not going to decrease no matter how much expenditures increase.   It has to come from somewhere and if you compare your experience today vs. yesteryear you'll easily see where it has come from.

I don’t really give a rats ass if Mike Brown gives them a monthly ration of spam burgers and has them walk his dogs to cover exercise and meals.

My point is I think it’s ridiculous these teams don’t have top of the line facilities. Will I lose sleep if they don’t ?? Not a fucking chance.

Im hanging in Chicago’s Chinatown for the next few days and food and alcohol are calling my name…

7 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

I don’t really give a rats ass if Mike Brown gives them a monthly ration of spam burgers and has them walk his dogs to cover exercise and meals.

My point is I think it’s ridiculous these teams don’t have top of the line facilities. Will I lose sleep if they don’t ?? Not a fucking chance.

Im hanging in Chicago’s Chinatown for the next few days and food and alcohol are calling my name…

Consider the source.   The NFLPA is never going to admit things "top of the line" that is not their role.  

Probably in this draft there are multiple players that will be selected that grew up in poverty and earned their scholarship without both parents, adequate nutrition, equipment or whatever.   There's hundreds more that you'll never learn about because they aren't good enough to become pros but were still good enough to earn scholarships or make a college team making them the top percentage of athletes.    There is a very real diminishing returns on investment in facilities, work out equipment or whatever.

None of that NFLPA bitch list was about getting the best out your investment.   It was I want sprinkles on my ice cream cone type stuff.

Just know its the fan that ultimately pays for the sprinkles. 

3 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

Not really.    Suzanne Somers has a thigh master 2023 to sell you and in quick few months you could look like the Hulk. 

I love it when people argue about something without even reading the material. Hint: this has nothing to do with working out. In fact the players rated the weight room above average. Which is kind of odd, I know, since this is a 'bitchfest" and one generally doesn't answer statements like, "hey, you're doing a great job" with "stop bitching." But there it is anyhow.

4 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

Your thesis above is proven false everyday at the youth level sports.    Parents invest in all this crap for their kids.

Really? They buy...

hot and cold tubs, a cryo (cold) chamber, a hyperbaric (oxygen) chamber, float beds and red-light beds.

Well, if you say so.

I'd like to see them improve the facilities for players' families. Whatever biases are inherently introduced by an NFLPA survey, this still gives an impression of player perspective. Ignoring it outright would be foolish for any organization. That doesn't necessarily mean they have to care about having charging outlets in lockers.

17 minutes ago, Stripes said:

I'd like to see them improve the facilities for players' families. Whatever biases are inherently introduced by an NFLPA survey, this still gives an impression of player perspective. Ignoring it outright would be foolish for any organization. That doesn't necessarily mean they have to care about having charging outlets in lockers.

A family room and daycare seemed to score well with players. That it would be fairly easy to do. They would almost certainly outsource it, and could probably get a good deal (or even get it for free) by making whoever it is the official daycare provider of the Cincinnati Bengals in lieu of cash. And the whole organization could use it, not just the players.

5 hours ago, Stripes said:

Yep, we’re not competing with reality or common sense, we’re competing with other nfl teams.  It’s such a small, insular, world in the nfl.  I don’t see much sense in paying a guy ten million dollars a year, but we do it because other teams do it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

I love it when people argue about something without even reading the material. Hint: this has nothing to do with working out. In fact the players rated the weight room above average. Which is kind of odd, I know, since this is a 'bitchfest" and one generally doesn't answer statements like, "hey, you're doing a great job" with "stop bitching." But there it is anyhow.

Really? They buy...

Well, if you say so.

You made the point of this being an investment in the players performance.   It isn't.    There is a very real diminishing returns on facility spend in athletics.   Mike Brown isn't stepping over dollars to save pennies.  The players performance is not harmed by whatever the NFLPA deems to be unworthy or average. 

How do you think these Highschool Indoor practice facilities and training facilities are being built? Without parent money?  What do you think they have inside?    I had access to cold tubs back in the 80s in highschool those weren't funded via  the general school budget.   Do you think the United States has gone backwards in this regard? 

This is all about Johnny has sprinkles on his ice cream so I wan't "M&Ms".    Fans should not look at this NFLPA bitch list and conclude well if we don't give them M&Ms then we obviously aren't doing everything to win a Superbowl.   Its a dumb way to look at it.

Your thesis is proven false at the youth level in just about every sport.   In a couple months time we will watch several athletes that were raised in horrific circumstances reach the top of the sport by being drafted.   Then in another couple months watch a few more overcome not being drafted.   

3 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

You made the point of this being an investment in the players performance.  

No, I didn't. I made the point of this being an investment in the players' availability to play. That's what the team is addressing here, which, again, if you'd bothered to read the story, you'd understand.

8 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

No, I didn't. I made the point of this being an investment in the players' availability to play. That's what the team is addressing here, which, again, if you'd bothered to read the story, you'd understand.

I must of misunderstood.   It sounded like you were making the case of Mike Brown stepping over dollars to pick up pennies and this investment in whatever would pay for itself.   I think that is false.    Its based on an assumption the players have not been doing anything until the team provides it.    Which isn't the case.  

Its the same dynamic as the indoor practice facility.   The Bengals never owned one up until last season but always had the ability to practice indoors either via UC practice bubble and/or the mini indoor turf field they have inside PBS.    Just because UC tore down their bubble and the Bengals built a new one doesn't mean there is any return on investment football wise.  They've had the ability to practice indoors for over a decade.  They just own the facility now.      Maybe the Bengals don't have to charter buses and pay UC a fee now but they always had the ability to practice indoors when the coach wanted to.

The Bengals have had rehab or recovery facilities in PBS since it opened. At one point it was considered league best because of the MRI machine, the underwater treadmills etc.  They've changed/replaced equipment before they are just letting the world know about it since the NFLPA decided to throw up on the owners.    There isn't any monetary gain to be had or any on field gain to be had because these activities were still taking place.   Now they just be taking place with different equipment and theories.

6 hours ago, COB said:

I look at it as an investment in your ability to attract top level talent/free agents.

and since Marvin walked in those doors in 2003 the belly of PBS has been redone multiple times.   The NFLPA comes out with a bitch list and all of sudden its assumed that they have not been doing anything?     But hey, if daycare, hospitality room, charging stations gets the job done so be it.

The next NFLPA report will be about the quality of food in the Hospitality room.   So on and so on.      The overall point I'm trying to make that there is not measurable return on investment (football wise or money) whatever additions they make at this point these are sunk costs that the fan will ultimately pay for.  So don't rally against Mike Brown or for the players on that basis its a false narrative.   Just know this is perception crap...So don't complain about London games or whatever money sucking thing they come up with next and at the same time blame the owners from not having charging stations in the locker cubes, lol.   When the sales tax is extended into forever and the initial bonds aren't paid off just remember those player girl friends can not be expected to use the same restroom as the fans.