Random 2023 Bengals stuff before FA and what not

membengal

Weird Stats - This last season all 4 AFC North teams split with each other.  Rather odd.  

Also, all 4 AFC North teams have had the same coach for at least 3 seasons.  Only the NFC west comes close, with 3 coaches in place for at least 3 years.  

Stolen from Dehner, because that’s what I do.

12 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

Still can’t figure out how Zac isn’t in the conversation for coach of the year.

Even worse is when national talking heads address "coach of the year" they don't even mention Zac Taylor as a snub.

He's taken a 6-10 2018 team - won 2 divisions, 1 AFC Championship, 1 AFC runner up.     No talking head predicted any of this and a bunch predicted failure.   They have 3 pro bowlers, 0 All Pros, and it was a huge offseason talking point about the 2021 Bengals were a fluke and destined to not make the playoffs.

It really is unbelievable how much this organization is over looked.

It is the same mindset that when national talking heads talk about Carson Palmer they fail to mention or focus in on the Bengals went to 5 straight post seasons after his last season.  

I hope the 2023 Bengals are over looked in August.  I don't think the actual team needs fuel but this just the more fuel for the fan base.    If you look at salary caps.  The Bengals are or should be the team to beat in the AFC.    They are going to return the majority of a team that was the best in the AFC up until O-line injuriesl

CINCINNATI — Bengals offensive coordinator Brian Callahan is expected to return to the team for the 2023-24 season. 

Callahan was in the running for the Colts head coaching job, but was eliminated from contention according to Sports Illustrated's Albert Breer. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/report-brian-callahan-eliminated-colts-head-coaching-search

• Like 1

The Bengals are a very attractive landing spot for free agents this off-season.   There are a number of reasons, Burrow being the most significant.  

There is an one factor that is a little unexpected.  Zac Taylor has earned a reputation for being a coach who takes care of his players.  That is the actual phrasing I heard. They mean a vet knows he’ll be looked after in camp and the pre-season.  Specifically, a vet starter won’t be put through an unnecessarily physical camp and will barely play in the preseason, negating the chance of early season injury guys endure if they play for a team with a different philosophy, like, say, a couple of our division rivals.

Its certainly one factor when guys are weighing multiple offers.

Even before Burrow showed up, Zac showed a real talent for free agency recruiting. It was remarkable how he was able to attract players like Vonn Bell and DJ Reader to a 2-14 team. Now, with Burrow and the organizational culture of Katie and Elizabeth Blackburn, I expect the Bengals to be able to bring people aboard as long as the cap space exists.

I just think the Bengals have been adaptable under Tobin.    After the power struggle in 2010, this team has been better at finding talent, period.   Under Zac they have been way more successful at striking early in Free Agency and signing guys that appear in these top 50 lists.       Prior to Zac they had success in 3rd tier avenues but as they achieved drafting success they shifted gears to compensatory approach.

Post 2010 and whatever front changes went on in that period;  They built some tremendous rosters and to this day have never gotten full credit because they could not win a playoff game.      I don't know what their approach will be but I assume it will still focus on the 2 for 1 model like we've seen the past 3 years.      With big contracts coming up for guys they drafted,  I would not be surprised to see more of a focus on gaining comp picks. 

Schedule speculation.      Bengals will have both Bills and Chiefs on the schedule.    I'm sorry,  but if either one of these match ups lands in September then Zac must alter his club med approach to training camp.

With the Chiefs winning the Superbowl they will host the Thursday kick off.   Given the ratings of the last 2 Chiefs/Bengals match ups that game would be desirable for that slot.    If that is the case they'll have to grind a little more in TC.     

Agree within reason.  I don't mind the approach of Zac with TC "for the most part".
I think last year was a bit of an anomaly in that Burrow had an appendectomy and some of the o-line was dealing with minor dings.
I don't think they had enough time to work on chemistry early and it showed in the first couple of weeks of the season.

Without Zac killing the guys, I would simply like to see them get playing time together earlier.
But again, injuries really dictate how that's going to work out.
What I don't want is a TC like the Ravens where their all out assault approach leads to many injuries, impacting the entire season negatively.

Find that happy space !! 

I dont see the first months set of opponents as mattering....as we need victories whether it is the best team in the league or the worst

We faced Pittsburgh and Cleveland. 

Neither was a playoff team. 

A victory in either game would have netted us a higher seed and possibly playing in the Superbowl

So every victory counts

Training Camp this year does need to make sure that the team - especially the starters - is up to full speed and running by the end of the third preseason game.

It is not realistic to expect Zac to adjust his pre season practices based on who we play weeks one and two.  

He is extremely confident in his approach, and he has results to back it up.  

He’ll keep running “training camp” the way he’s been running it.  

I’m being a little glib with those quotation marks.  There is no more training camp.  Guys don’t show up and run sprints all day to get in shape.  It’s obviously a year round job now, guys are ready and practice, at least official practice, just starts.  

Guys like Zac are stripping away the last vestiges of training camp as it existed years ago.  It’s kind of ironic too, because Paul Brown really created camp as an institution in football. Now the coach of his team is ending it.