Random 2023 Bengals stuff before FA and what not

membengal

Im not a big Anarumo fan, but I will concede that I want as much carryover from 2022 to go into 2023 as possible, aside from the lack of preparedness in weeks 1 and 2

The defense has at times been championship caliber under Anarumo, but the inconsistency from week to week and even half to half is maddening at times

related aside: one NFL talking head has Bates on the Bengals roster in 2023.  It is a given that anything is possible, sure, but I see his departure as very-near certainty

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/allbengals-insiders-plus/espns-field-yates-predicts-bengals-re-sign-jessie-bates-iii

Injuries suck. We should all be VERY used to that concept. Heading into week one in 2022 was exactly that. I would rather be cautious to start the season, knowing we might struggle than risk further injury extending deeper into the season. Instead of dropping games at the beginning, that could have been extended. It’s an ebb and flow but not something you can pin on the way camp is ran in my opinion.

• Like 1

I think that poop start to the season was part of the team’s natural progression (clearly augmented by the appendectomy and fluke longsnapper things). They needed to be reminded that they weren’t going to just walk over teams.

The 2022 Bengals had a ton in common with the 2021 Chiefs.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

Injuries suck. We should all be VERY used to that concept. Heading into week one in 2022 was exactly that. I would rather be cautious to start the season, knowing we might struggle than risk further injury extending deeper into the season. Instead of dropping games at the beginning, that could have been extended. It’s an ebb and flow but not something you can pin on the way camp is ran in my opinion.

Like it or not if you see the Chiefs or Bills in September or any AFC North team in weeks 1 and2 on the schedule its foolish to let a month of practice go by and not be at their absolute best.     Otherwise you are going to Arrowhead unless that division can pull their head out of their ass and actually hand a loss or two on the Chiefs.

The soft camp was directly related to having to go to Arrowhead.   Just like the Bills got sniped by the Steelers week 1 in 2021 and found themselves on the road.

There is very little room for error.   Need to have less than 3 loses.    AFC North Champs seemingly always have 1 or 2 division loses.

2 hours ago, membengal said:

They would have beat the Steelers even with burrow throwing four picks if Clark Harris doesn’t get hurt. For fuckssake 

LOL.   They have given up 23 sacks in Week 1 and 2 of the 2021 and 2022 seasons.    Yet you don't see a problem, ok.

4 games.   1-3 record.   All 3 point margins; 2 decided in OT.   A Dalvin Cook fumble saves them from being 0-4.

Here's a clue there's always going to be something a number of things to blame in 3 point losses.   But for me its kinda hard to look past 23 sacks.   

The amount of pressure they've given up can improved upon by simply making football players play football during the month of August.   

I kinda want them to get a No. 1 seed.   So its clear there is something that needs to be corrected so they can hit opening weekend ready to pass protect.

Vikings 5 sacks.   OT win

Bears 5 sacks 3 point loss.

Steelers 7 sacks OT loss 3 points.

Cowboys 6 sacks  3 point loss after getting the lead in the last minutes.

Look… injuries…
THAT was the issue. It’s not hard to figure out. On top of Burrow and his appendix, Collins was just cleared to practice right before the 1st preseason game. Out for the 2nd preseason game was Carman, Collins again, and Prince. This is where the rookie Volson starts coming into play more at LG. Then Volson gets dinged in week 2, sitting in week 3, which gives Carman the start and plays most of the game. Karras was getting Veteran rest as well and then week 1 hits. Damn near every starting o-lineman and backup had missed preseason games with minor dings. There was simply no way there was going to be continuity or 100% readiness at this point.

Has nothing to do with a soft camp. At least not when looking at the focal point heading into the 2022 season.

3 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Lack of live reps in preseason for the oline was clearly an issue in the first couple weeks.

However, they’ve now had a whole season together, so I don’t think whether or not they play in preseason this coming August matters.

23 sacks in Weeks 1 and 2 that past 2 seasons.   1-3 record 2 OT games, all 3 point margins.    Something needs to be changed IF you want to entertain getting No. 1 seed.

If KC/Buffalo pop in September or any AFC North team weeks 1 or 2.    It would be unwise to repeat the camp they did last year IF you want to entertain getting No. 1 seed.

It's been a long time since the line as proven to be reliable opening the season.  

11 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

Look… injuries…
THAT was the issue. It’s not hard to figure out. On top of Burrow and his appendix, Collins was just cleared to practice right before the 1st preseason game. Out for the 2nd preseason game was Carman, Collins again, and Prince. This is where the rookie Volson starts coming into play more at LG. Then Volson gets dinged in week 2, sitting in week 3, which gives Carman the start and plays most of the game. Karras was getting Veteran rest as well and then week 1 hits. Damn near every starting o-lineman and backup had missed preseason games with minor dings. There was simply no way there was going to be continuity or 100% readiness at this point.

Has nothing to do with a soft camp. At least not when looking at the focal point heading into the 2022 season.

I don't know.   Every camp the line gets whooped in camp.   The last 2 season they've given up 23 sacks to start the season.  

Turner's last lines in 2020 with a rookie QB only gave up 6 in weeks 1 and 2 (not saying that is good its actually horrible but that's how bad its been 2021 and 2022).    There is clearly something that needs to be addressed if you want to entertain earning the No. 1 seed.

TWENTY - THREE SACKS!   

I'm not a football coach but IF you want to earn the No. 1 seed and IF KC or Buffalo pop up in September....change what you've been doing, because sure Burrow can make it a close game but it'd be nice NOT to give UP TWENTY-THREE sacks.   Ya know?

I mean Turner's last line that was dog shit only gave up 6 to start the season.   That is how bad its been to start the season.   3 sacks seems like an All-Pro performance around here.

Appendix this, Clark Harris that, Veteran rest here, LC blah, blah, blah.  That's complete fucking bullshit.   23 SACKS!  They are not ready to play football giving up nearly 6 sacks a game. 

Over a quarter of Burrow's Ints have happened in Weeks 1 and 2 the past 2 seasons.   By my count he's been available to play more that 1 preseason series vs. Dolphins.

I wonder how many sacks we gave up in the first couple games these last two years?  JK, I see the wall of TWENTY THREE SACKS posts in here.  

What I don’t see is any evidence of cause and effect.  I also don’t see any evidence to support the use of either the word “soft”, or “camp”.  

There is no camp.  It’s over.  The league has evolved, moved on.  Yes, once upon a time players went and played themselves into shape.  Coaches overdid it because it made guys “tough.”  They also deprived them of water because that made them “tough” as well.  Shit’s over.  Guys are ready to practice now.  Practice just starts.  

Soft?  Where is the evidence that anything the Bengals do is “soft” compared to the rest of the league?  Where are the stats showing how many blows to the head our tackle took versus another team’s tackle?  There is no evidence.  

So the “soft” label comes from where?  It comes from media visitors, guys who show up for a day as they tour various NFL practices.  What is our team doing the day they show up?  Who knows, and it doesn’t matter, because the Bengals will always be labeled “soft.”  And “cheap.”  Reality doesn’t matter.  

Paul Brown created the west coast offense.  It was denigrated as somehow being soft.  He loved the forward pass.  That was denigrated as being soft.  We were at the forefront of the hurry up offense, that was criticized as being soft.  

All of those Bengals innovations were met with the idea that “real men line up and play smash mouth football, Paul Brown and the Bengals are too soft and are pussies for finding another way.”  Fuck that.  Paul Brown was just smarter.  Zac Taylor fits right in the Paul Brown mode.  As the game is evolving, he’s right there driving it.  

Go back to the toughen ‘em up camp days?  No thanks.  In fact one of the very last proponents of super physical pre-season practices, John Harbaugh, recently said he’s moving away from that philosophy.  It just isn’t necessary and comes with an unjustifiable cost.  

Who has a “tough” camp?  The Ravens!  They’re tough.  They own the record for pre season wins.  

This last season their starting running back JK Dobbins, tore his ACL in the final pre season game, the game that most teams won’t play a starter in (too soft).  

Harbaugh’s quote afterwards- 

“There are other teams that don't play their guys at all. They don't play their starters for one snap. We are probably as close to that as we've... I know we're farther down that road than we've ever been. We played our guys so little this offseason. It's just been how we've done it. But anytime a guy gets hurt, you ask yourself those questions."

So with even John Harbaugh bailing, where do I have to go to find someone who will be a real man and begin the process of breaking down his players’ bodies weeks before everyone else?  Probably have to find someone with mirror aviators and a stupid look on his face.

The Ravens have been one of the most injured teams for years . I promise you the fans here in Baltimore area have been blaming the way Harbaugh practices them in the off-season and camp for that. 

Again, for however "SOFT" this year's camp was, they do not lose week 1 even with Burrow coming off of fucking ABDOMINAL SURGERY and being so rusty he threw four picks IF clark harris doesn't get hurt. Like, literally, they overcame all that and should have won. Then lost on a last second kick to one of the top defenses in football on the road the following week when Burrow was clearly still not close to 100%.

I know what I don't want. I don't want to get to week 1 of the regular season missing 5 starters due to injuries suffered in camp and pre-season games...

As some of you know, my son is a freshman at Michigan State.  He wasn't near the student union or Berkey hall where those shootings took place, luckily.  Also, according to him, any school shooter better get him with the first shot, or it's on.  Ok Mr. bulletproof.  

Anyway, since school and campus shootings have replaced baseball as our new national pastime, I'm looking for help to get an after school special made.  I know most of you guys work in muffler shops or whatever, but on the off chance that one of the 7 guys in here happens to be a big Hollywood producer, here goes.

Our story begins at a typical midwestern high school.  The usual groups are there.  The jocks laugh and don't pay attention in class.  The nerds wear pocket protectors and talk about video games. The cheerleaders and mean girls alienate and body shame every girl who doesn't have the guts to have a full blown eating disorder.  

But our movie focuses on a group of disaffected loners.  They get stuffed in lockers or cyber bullied or whatever cruel shit kids do these days.  They sort of band together out of necessity.  So most of the movie is them getting kicked in the nuts, getting humiliated at lunch when some neanderthal dumps their lunch on some kid's head, all that standard movie stuff.  

Worst of all, one of the disaffected loners getting picked on is this learning disabled kid.  He can't figure shit out, so the outcast kids kind of take him on as a mascot.  He hangs out with them.  His struggles sort of become the focus of the movie as the audience roots for him not to get wedgie'd too hard when he walks past the wrestling room or whatever.  

So adolescent inhumanity is the theme of the movie.  Then the end of the year arrives.  The final scene begins in the lunch room.  Just a regular day.  

Then WHAM!  School shooting, baby.  Ripped from today's headlines.  The disaffected loners have eaten shit long enough. They show up and just start blasting.  Their parents felt sorry for them, so it turns out they all decided it would be a good idea to buy their disaffected loner kids  AR-15 rifles and get them involved in the "shooting sports."  It's a gory mess in the lunch room as the cruel jocks get their comeuppance in the form of a bullet in the head, all the other kids have their phones out simultaneously trying to avoid getting shot and record the whole thing.  

So anyway this goes on for a while.  It'll have to be super gory, sorry but by the time this airs, most of the kids watching this after school special will have already been through a real school shooting, so there's no fooling them.  

The school shooting goes on for a while.  Then one of the school shooters notices the learning disabled kid off to the side.  He's looking kind of forlorn.  He can't take part in the school shooting because he's too disabled.  

Then something amazing happens.  This one disaffected loner goes, here Corky, take my AR-15.  The whole lunchroom sees what's happening.  The learning disabled kid takes the rifle.  The kids who were running for their lives (but still recording on their phones)  take notice.  They kind of act like they're trying to get away but they're moving real slow and making sure they are a real large and easy target for the kid.  No one thinks he can do anything.  But to everyone's amazement, this kid makes like a 60 yard offhand shot on the school principle who's all the way across the lunchroom.  The crowd goes wild, cheering for this kid.  Everyone thought he was just like this incapable societal reject, but it turns out he's an amazingly accurate school shooter.  So the kid just keeps shooting.  Every incredible long range shot is met with ever louder and raucous cheering.  He finally gets done killing like half the cool kids and his rifle is out of ammo.  The rest of the school rushes the kid in celebration.  It's an incredibly heart-warming scene as this learning disabled disaffected loner is hoisted on the shoulders of his surviving schoolmates.  

Unfortunately the scene ends right then as the school is blown to pieces by a HIMARS from the area School Shooting HIMARS Response Center.  By the time this movie gets made the government is tired of getting cops killed in those school shootings, so they've deployed a whole series of Response Centers.  Every school's coordinates are programmed into a HIMARS center, and once a school shooting is confirmed, the government just blasts it with a HIMARS.  Its not perfect, but the 2nd amendment is the most important thing, and everyone knows that the only thing that can stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a HIMARS. 

The next day on The Today Show they start off with Savanah Guthrie going, "A very touching story out of Grim Post-Industrial Hellscape, Illinois.  A learning-challenged boy surprises the whole school with his incredible skill!"  Then they show all the security camera footage of this kid wasting half his school.  They cut back to Savanah and she's got a tear in her eye.  

The End.

• Haha 2