Random 2023 Bengals stuff before FA and what not

membengal

Yeah, the Higgins stuff just made me laugh

back to FA/draft tho:  give me an ORT in FA, and a pass rushing 3TDT in r1 of the draft, and another OL to groom in r2

I dont expect Jonah to stay after 2023, no matter how well or poorly it goes....which is weird, as most thought of him after 2021 as the only OL of the five worth keeping, and indeed he was the only one they kept

35 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

Why the hell anyone would think the Bengals would trade Higgins is beyond me.
He's vital to this offense, isn't a free agent until 2024 and the Bengals could (see will) tag him if no deal can be had.
He's a #1 WR on many teams in the league.

Because several teams last offseason traded high profile WRs.   So its the "in" thing to do.    

Given the state of the Bengals and what they have the opportunity to do next year  It would take a record setting bounty for me to feel about trading Higgins.  

My whole viewpoint is they were the best team in the AFC and maybe the NFL the 2nd half of the season.   OL injuries derailed them but barely as they just missed on going back to the Superbowl.   That's despite not have great injury luck among the skill spots through out the season.   Improve on where you can improve but bring as much as that team as back as possible.

7 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Tobin: Bengals not trading Higgins.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35755082/bengals-tee-higgins-trade-rumors-find-your-own-wr

Also in the above link:

Translation: they’re still a ways apart.

disagree for a ton of reasons. I don't have the time to list all the ways I disagree - if you all can listen to the first 15 minutes of the latest HTPG that captures it...

https://theathletic.com/podcast/68-hear-that-podcast-growlin/?episode=398

Here's Dehner's full article so we all have access to the relevant quotes:

https://theathletic.com/4262864/2023/02/28/joe-burrow-contract-bengals-duke-tobin/

Three years ago this week at the NFL Scouting Combine inside the Indianapolis Convention Center, Joe Burrow sat at a microphone and took questions about his future in Cincinnati.

He answered them in the cool way Burrow uniquely does, quashing the retrospectively ridiculous rumors he wouldn’t want to play for the Bengals when they inevitably drafted him first.

For the first time that day, when it came to the Bengals, Burrow proved to be everything they hoped he would be.

Only feet away from that very spot, Bengals director of player personnel Duke Tobin stood Tuesday, again with Burrow’s unique fit with Cincinnati back under the microscope. The topic this time was what will inevitably be Burrow’s becoming the highest-paid player in NFL history.

As he is extension-eligible for the first time, those conversations with Burrow’s side are ongoing. The Bengals have a sense of what the range of total money will be, Tobin said. Figuring out the structure to find what works for all involved is the current work in progress.

In the early stages of this process, Tobin said, Burrow’s sense of how his contract can facilitate winning in how he shapes it hasn’t been lost on the 26-year-old quarterback.

Not surprising.

That’s where Burrow once again — for seemingly the millionth time — has proved to be everything the Bengals had hoped.

“I think Joe understands better than most people,” Tobin said when asked whether Burrow had thoughts about structuring his contract to keep pieces around him. “That’s what makes him a great player. Joe sees the big picture. Not only after he takes the snap from the center but when he’s walking around the locker room and going to practice. Working out in the offseason. Joe sees the big picture. That’s what makes him great.”

The big picture involves the Bengals’ retaining the flexibility to keep as many pieces around Burrow as possible to take the final step toward a Super Bowl title that’s narrowly eluded them two consecutive seasons.

As for where all these talks stand, working on it has lived as the top priority of this offseason.

“Sooner is better,” Tobin said. “We’re going to worry about it first and we’ll see.”

The market rate places the potential contract at more than $50 million per season on average. With a landscape-changing outlay hanging in the balance, knowing the specific parameters of building the rest of the roster would be an advantage. Tobin said the offseason objectives could still go forward without a finalized deal because of what’s already been discussed.

“I think we’ve got an idea of what that deal is going to look like,” he said, “whether it’s done in completion or not.”

There were no predictions on how the timing could play out other than opening with the fact it wasn’t done yet.

“Maybe it’s the first piece to come,” Tobin said. “Maybe it’s the last. But we’ll work towards it. We’re not going to rush the process … It’s of vital importance to us. It’s important to Joe, and we’ll work to try and get it accomplished.”

Burrow spent time in Las Vegas during Pro Bowl weekend but has been a regular visitor to the team facility in the month since the Bengals lost to the Chiefs in the AFC Championship Game.

“He’s a guy who’s around the building a lot, working out there, pops in the office just to catch up and see what’s going on,” coach Zac Taylor said.

There’s a respected distance given in the aftermath of the seven-month grind of the season, but staying in contact has always been important and continues to be ongoing during this critical juncture of negotiations.

“You don’t want to overstep that way, but he’s a big part of what we do and we want to make sure we’re always communicating with him,” Taylor said, acknowledging he leaves the contractual details to the front office. “Again, he’s very valued.”

That value will soon be given a number. One the Bengals will have no problem paying.

A question popping up in conversations at bars, hotel lobbies and, yes, podiums going live to NFL Network in Indianapolis wondered whether the Bengals will pay up.

It sounds silly to anyone with even loose knowledge of the love affair between player, team, city and ownership surrounding the face of the franchise.

Of course they will. Nobody needed Tobin to confirm that at the combine. The Bengals will make Burrow a rich man because it’s what they do. Yeah, you read that right.

Despite the archaic notion that still floats around cyberspace of the Bengals’ being “frugal,” that’s just not been the case with quarterbacks. They paid Boomer Esiason twice. They made Carson Palmer the highest-paid player in NFL history at the first instant they could in January 2006, six days before his knee was torn up one pass into his playoff debut.

They gave Andy Dalton six years and $96 million the August after his third consecutive playoff defeat and first offseason to make such a deal.

As much as Burrow makes everything feel different, much of this for the 52-year-old Tobin and the Brown family ownership is a road they’ve comfortably gone down before.

“The numbers are higher,” Tobin said. “The numbers keep going up. The process is pretty similar. When you have an elite player like Joe, you kind of know the universe you are going to be living in. Then it’s just a matter of maybe getting the structure to where everybody feels good about it.”

There’s plenty to feel good about. Brown loves quarterbacks. He loves this team and this city. Hence why, just like seemingly everyone else in those offices, he loves Burrow.

Brown proved it by taking his father’s name off what’s now Paycor Stadium partly to pile cash into escrow needed to guarantee his future. The CBA dictates cash that’s guaranteed for a player must go into escrow as part of that contract. The deadline for that is the final day of March. Waiting to sign the deal after that day would push the point at which the cash must be paid into escrow to March 31, 2024. More time to collect that much cash, the better, so it could serve as a motivator to wait.

Tobin wasn’t commenting on escrow dates, merely stating “we haven’t put any deadlines on it.”

The most important element is that the contract leaves room to keep most of the core of this team that’s made the final four in back-to-back seasons together. There was no commitment to that eventually involving an extension for Tee Higgins and Ja’Marr Chase, and Tobin merely pointed out that the trade conversation around Higgins is “ridiculous” but that he is under contract for this year and they can talk to him about an extension down the line.

Burrow is the first priority. From there, they see what it all looks like.

“There are some things we can control with the first- and second-year cap numbers and eventually the dollars have to count,” Tobin said. “And we want to be responsible on how we count those dollars so we don’t get into issues as we go along in the out years. I just can’t predict when it’s going to get done but we’re aware of the range it’s going to be.”

That’s where Burrow’s understanding of how all of this complicated process works makes all the difference. And yet another reminder of how he continues to deliver a dream No. 1 selection.

“I don’t have predictions on when something might get done,” Tobin said. “It’s of vital importance to us. It’s important to Joe and we’ll work to try and get it accomplished.”

For what it’s worth, I don’t really think much about the Burrow extension. It will get done when it gets done and the money will be what it is. Whatever the dollar amount, in 3 years it will look like a bargain anyway.

I’d rather it get done sooner rather than later, but that’s really about it regarding his new deal.

Thanks for posting that Mem.

12 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

My whole viewpoint is they were the best team in the AFC and maybe the NFL the 2nd half of the season.   OL injuries derailed them but barely..

Agreed.  I just read Pollack saying they are good with all 5 starters coming back next year, and starting.  Said Collins likely won’t be ready so it’s Adeniji or Carman.  Two years in a row the o-line has cost us the Super Bowl.  Fucking go out in FA and get us another tackle, that’s all I ask.

Pretty much what I expect Pollack to say, especially pre-free agency and draft. Now if that comes to be and Adeniji is the starting RT week 1, I won’t be so happy about that. 

I’ve said it before but there is zero chance Collins plays before the mid point and probably longer. That would be next level healing for a man that big.

7 hours ago, COB said:

Agreed.  I just read Pollack saying they are good with all 5 starters coming back next year, and starting.  Said Collins likely won’t be ready so it’s Adeniji or Carman.  Two years in a row the o-line has cost us the Super Bowl.  Fucking go out in FA and get us another tackle, that’s all I ask.

I don't know what they'll do.   My preference is to have the former 2nd rounder earn the job.   Draft a tackle.  

I don't know what the market will be for the younger FA tackles but its probably going to be 13m+ for the next 4/5 years and that's a lot money considering they won't be elite.    Orlando Brown is the only I would say is near elite and he will be $20m+

So if you don't go that route they are back to the Lewan types which has not worked for a whole season + post season.

Then next year I'm not sure if I want them committing $15m+ for Jonah Williams but they'll be drafting in the bottom of the round.  

If an opportunity arises in this draft I think they need to get one in the top 150 picks. 

Im not sure a rusty Collins coming off a year of inactivity will be a positive at midseason 2023, so shut him down (release or IR) for 2023. 

Get me a solid ORT in FA as top priority in FA.  I dont want a rookie protecting New Guy, even despite the overall-positive Volsen experience.  Adeniji is the backup ORT.

Get me pass rush in the early draft, and draft an ORT no later than r3 to groom to start in a year or two

I am not sure where Carman or D'Ante figure into all of this.  If they dont draft an OL high, that will signal to me that they have confidence that one or both will emerge this year as a Starter.  I don't share that confidence, but of course I am not on that staff

I'd like to see them take an OC in r5 or later, as I dont think Hill is the eventual starter

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

Pretty much what I expect Pollack to say, especially pre-free agency and draft. Now if that comes to be and Adeniji is the starting RT week 1, I won’t be so happy about that. 

I’ve said it before but there is zero chance Collins plays before the mid point and probably longer. That would be next level healing for a man that big.

I think you going to see Adeniji and Carman battle it out at RT.   If they add a T via the draft then Collins or Smith are on the bubble.   Collins could save a roster spot starting on PUP but with $7m cap savings at hand I'm guessing its going going gone for him.

Carman has the most upside of any lineman on the roster but Pollack loves himself some Adeniji.  

4 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

There was something on the radio suggesting IF the Burrow extension is reached after May 1st it changes the amount they'll need in escrow. 

Feel free to read Denher's piece that I linked and pasted in full which explains that. 

1 hour ago, HoosierCat said:

Yup. Mike Brown is a cheap bastard, part the infinity.

https://themorningline.substack.com/p/bengals-gonna-bengal

I thought P-Doc retired?   I guess he'll never pass up the opportunity to drag up the 90s.

This one, though, is undeniably bad:

The players who responded to the survey also complained that there is nowhere warm and safe for mothers and kids to go during the game because the Bengals do not provide a family room, unlike the majority of teams. Players reported that wives have sat on the public restroom floor to nurse their babies.

Huh?  The wife/girl friend decides to go the  game with child and apparently its beneath them to use the same facilities as the paying customer?    Why the hell is the NFLPA so entitled? 

Sure Mike Brown has money to spend.  So do the players.  STFU Paul.  This is neither good nor bad its just NFL players feeling their entitled to more and a typical union boss trying to get public sympathy.

Luxury maybe a standard in the NFL or whatever but I could give two shits about it.   Describing these things as undeniably bad is pearl clutching. 

The scene: Day 1 of the next collective bargaining negotiations between the owners and the players union.  

The time: 8 am.

The speaker: the owners lead negotiator, Alibaster Vanderbilt Rockefeller VI.

Action!!!!

”Gentlemen, first on our list, we’re willing to make a small concession to assure that the results of any further players polls are kept in strictest confidence and become immediate intellectual property of the owners.”

Players Union Negotiator, Malcolm Quadruple X: “We want a billion dollars.”

Alibaster Vanderbilt Rockefeller VI: “Sounds fair, done.”

Glad that was a temporary outage !!

Even if Terry didn't have anything to do with it being back up and running, nothing like offering up a THANK YOU for keeping the lights on around this place !!  After 20 years, I really don't want to find another place.  I don't think I would bother at that point.  Just the end of posting on forums for me.

• Like 1