Bubble? BUBBLE?

membengal

4 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

I’d happily cash out now if I could afford a new place anywhere north of (checks notes) Mexico.

Dont know what your current interest rate is, but with it being between 6%-7%, it makes it harder. Couple that with the cost of homes continuing to go up and downsizing won’t save much if any.

I got into my new home in the middle of COVID and am carrying a 2.95%. Nope, not moving any time soon.

• Like 2

So why do local officials keep shoveling out money for new stadiums and arenas?

Simple.  It is not their money, period.     When the winds of positive political momentum come about they'll jump at the chance to play power broker of a large pot of money and play city planner.   Create some bullshit "stadium authority" with several well paid government jobs that produce nothing.

The reality is that money spent on sports doesn’t come out of thin air. It is money that fans might have spent elsewhere.

Well NO shit.  That is the case in everything.   Wealth is not created or destroyed it is transferred, period.  

In the case of Cincinnati, its always easy to create the regional financial impact because mostly the Reds draw from several "other" pools of money outside of Hamilton county.  

My vote to provide public funding can be purchased by those who want it.

If a portion of my property taxes are to go into building a new stadium, I want season tickets for the first 5 years free of charge, and not some obscured view shit either.  Lower bowl, sidelines, limit two tickets.  After that time, I will never pay more than half of whatever the going rate is for a face value ticket for any event held at the new stadium.  Again, limit two tickets.

EDIT -- 50% off concessions as well for the duration. 

This offer would only be for residents of Hamilton County capable of voting, so no one under 18.
Sign in with a valid ID, vote "YES", and opt into your tickets.
Any "NO" vote would not be eligible for the tickets should the measure pass.

That's my offer Hamilton County.
Outside of that, they can suck my ass.

15 hours ago, COB said:

I was under the impression that the days of handing these multi-billion dollar entities a taxpayer funded stadium were over.  Makes no sense.

Never.   Its not their money.  As soon as they feel they won't lose their job over it they'll jump at the chance of playing power broker.

As far as Hamilton County.   "Making Sense" is in the eye of the beholder since its a Public venture and there's not Return On Investment to measure for share holders.    Look at the riverfront today vs. 1995.   What they did made a lot of sense.  The riverfront is a huge draw.   Building that new riverfront was a headache in the early days but its something that ended up on the right side.  Its not even completed.    Hamilton County can't afford to not go forward with a major draw.  Same with the Reds.

• 3 weeks later...

Some nuggets from this latest piece:

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/politics/2024/04/23/lease-negotiations-continue-between-hamilton-county-and-the-bengals/73330479007/

The Enquirer in January asked for communications between the Bengals and Hamilton County to see the progress on the negotiations expected to start this year. The county responded to The Enquirer's request April 8.

The exchange showed the Bengals growing frustrated with the county this past summer after the team had made several proposals to the county for lease extensions.

Heh. Maybe it’s not them, Bengals. Maybe it’s you.

Apparently Katie is concerned that there is no “political will” for a deal. But let’s look at what the Bengals want.

Blackburn proposed the county commit $150 million in improvements and repairs to the stadium by the end of 2024 and $150 million by the end of 2025. The Bengals would kick in $50 million. 

Oh, so just $300 million this year and next. Gee, I wonder why things are stalled…

And all that buys the county is a five year lease extension so the Bengals can shake them down again.

2 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Some nuggets from this latest piece:

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/politics/2024/04/23/lease-negotiations-continue-between-hamilton-county-and-the-bengals/73330479007/

Heh. Maybe it’s not them, Bengals. Maybe it’s you.

Apparently Katie is concerned that there is no “political will” for a deal. But let’s look at what the Bengals want.

Oh, so just $300 million this year and next. Gee, I wonder why things are stalled…

And all that buys the county is a five year lease extension so the Bengals can shake them down again.

I don't think that means cash flow.  The article states the stadium needs $493 maintenance and upgrades over the next 20 years.     So I think the Bengals want the capital plan for $300m of that spending with a contractual commitment they'll kick in $50m and 5 years.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

No to public funding.  We are already taxed too much.
I will simply watch other teams on Sunday.

I will stand willingly and smile as I wave goodbye...

Shortsighted and the county playing hard or "fake" hardball is only going to back them into a corner.   There are not leaders on that county board.

The Bengals put pressure on the county starting in 1988 for ultimately became Paul Brown.  They laughed nobody would watch the Jacksonville Bengals.  They pushed it off and pushed it off.  1993 they had a deal then Marge Schott shot it down because she didn't see the value in Baseball having club seats or something stupid.   They never believed Baltimore would want the shitty Bengals.  Then bam the Browns moved to Baltimore. 

Fast forward.   How did that riverfront come about?  Working men and women?  Slave labor? Did they steal the materials or machinery?  No.   That was funded via debt.   That debt remains whether the Bengals play in Hamilton County or not.  The already approved sales tax and that remains whether the Bengals play there or not.

The county has no choice but to get a deal done.  Its a financial disaster if they don't.  No retail tenant can survive the rent without those dates because the rent is high to cover the debt.   Any replacement tenant for Paycor is going to require renovations because that's what it needs.      Just get it done because anyone with common sense knows it has to get done and save the bullshit political grandstanding for more important things like racism.