Bubble? BUBBLE?

membengal

I wouldn't bet against a new stadium.   You'll get some politicians playing both sides, maybe even speaking out against it, but they ALL love to collect money and play city planner.   So a new stadium would not shock me in the least.

Bengals don't seem to be pushing for new stadium so, I'm guessing renovation with a medium term lease.

• 3 weeks later...

New car, caviar, four star daydream think I’ll buy me a football team…

Bengals are the 13th most profitable NFL franchise and the most profitable in the division.

https://www.sportico.com/leagues/football/2023/nfl-epl-profits-comparison-1234737931/

oh, and…

The NFL cap was $208 million last year with teams also required to kick in more than $40 million apiece for player benefits, but the check teams received from the league office more than covered that expense. National revenue from media and sponsorship partners was $12 billion last year, or 64% of the league’s $17.8 billion in total revenue, which meant each team received nearly $375 million before selling a ticket, beer or local sponsorship. This season, that check is expected to approach $400 million.

Hey, where’s my universal basic income, too? 

Another mile marker on How Times Have Changed Highway: Delta has added two round trip flights to Jacksonville for fans who want to catch the Jags game in person.

https://www.eaglecountryonline.com/news/local-news/delta-adds-two-flights-to-bengals-away-game-destination/

• 3 weeks later...

New deal means even more ways to get shitfaced at the game!

Diageo, a global leader in premium beverage alcohol, has partnered with the Cincinnati Bengals around its Cîroc, Crown Royal and Guinness brands. The multi-year partnership kicks off with the 2023 season and includes all three brands being served throughout Paycor Stadium, including a dedicated Crown Royal location.

Bengals fans of legal drinking age will now have access to a variety of Crown Royal and Cîroc RTD offerings throughout the stadium, and Guinness will be available on draught at designated locations throughout the building. The Crown Royal brand has partnered with the team to create a branded destination – "The Ruler's Crown" – located on the east side of the stadium.

• 1 month later...

Hamilton County allocates $39M for Paycor Stadium upgrades

The county said the Bengals have already paid about $32 million in improvements in the last 18 months, more than the team has ever invested in that time frame.

The commission said they are investing in the projects that have to get started in the off-season to keep the stadium in good condition.

Commission President Alicia Reece said the taxpayers have been funding 96% of the stadium improvements. Reece said that will change in the new lease and she will not approve more funding until its negotiated.

"I don't want any more piecemealing approaches, it's time to get down to the nitty gritty and that is the lease," Reece said.

According to that assessment done last year, Paycor Stadium will need about $490 million in capital improvements through 2042. This $39 million will begin that process, but the county hopes the Bengals continue to chip in, and they want more help from the NFL and the state. Commissioners said that will all be a part of the lease negotiations.

2042 huh?  So the stadium is expected to last 42+ years at that point?
I have no issue with that, because Riverfront, which was built in 1970, lasted 30.
However, with the push for newer and newer stadiums, that surprises me a little.

I remember watching, what the Bears wanted to do with their new stadium and how it incorporates into the city infrastructure.
I couldn't help but think that would be something cool for them to do here with the banks and maybe incorporate the street car.
Then there's the whole gambling aspect that, as much as I don't like it, is here to stay and could be part of this in a larger way.

Build with the whole city involved and get the draft and more sporting events involved.
Really love outdoor games, but maybe a dome is in the best interest of the whole city.

I will be 72 in 2042, so what do I care?

Yeah, I remember that one. Then t( plan was Arlington Heights. Now the latest plan is a new stadium in a soldier field parking lot. The sticking point always seems to be no one anxious to hand the Bears a giant pot of taxpayer dollars. So round and round they go. So kinda not surprised the Bengals are taking the “stretch out the existing facility” approach.

Agreed.  Although there are still a few (Vegas), the number of cities willing to just hand over a stadium to an owner (and really to all the owners, because all their teams play there) are dwindling.  

This is one facet of the argument that nfl franchise values are at or close to their peak.  Family owned teams should sell.  The current value far exceeds any sane valuation formula.  With the various entities bidding for even one game a week, I think they’ve maximized the tv contract.  

To get a game or a small package of games, you bid against traditional networks like NBC, upstart networks that have made it, like Fox, cable networks, like ESPN, online shopping service that wants to be more, like Amazon, internet streaming organizations like Youtube, and finally the NFL itself and their network.  And most of those outfits are paying way more than they are getting in actual $ return, justifying the deal with the intangible value of just driving eyes to your platform.  I just don’t see how it can go much beyond this.  

Right now the Brown family has all their money in one business.  It’s a great business, for sure.  But cash out of there and diversify that capital across a bunch of sectors and geographic regions.  It’s just so much safer.  Not as fun though, I’m sure.

• Like 1

If I were even a partial owner of a football team and stood to make a shit ton on the sale of the team, I would be hard pressed to sell simply because I think it would be so much fun to be THAT involved with the team.  Even if not a decision maker, just to be around the team, the facility, the draft, practices, games, and all the other things that come along with it.

Dream job !!!

• 2 months later...

Supposedly they were going to get the same stuff Titans/Rams have.   Weirdly those turf surfaces look the best on TV.

But in the press release it appears they went in a different direction.    Hopefully they change the midfield logo.  I'm tired of the "B". 

• 1 month later...

Interesting news out of KC today.

The future of the Royals and Chiefs in Kansas City was thrown into question Tuesday night when residents of Jackson County, Missouri, resoundingly voted down a sales tax measure that would have helped to fund a new downtown ballpark along with major renovations to Arrowhead Stadium.

Royals owner John Sherman and Chiefs president Mark Donovan acknowledged long before the final tally that the initiative would fail. More than 58% of voters ultimately rejected the plan, which would have replaced three-eighths of a cent sales tax that has been paying for the upkeep of Truman Sports Complex -- the home for more than 50 years to Kauffman and Arrowhead Stadiums -- with a similar tax that would have been in place for the next 40 years.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/39863822/missouri-voters-reject-stadium-tax-kansas-city-royals-chiefs

Probably not a good omen for any hopes of the Bengals squeezing more public funds out of Hamilton County taxpayers.

Joisey, you probably dont know this, given that you live in Indiana, but property taxes in Hamilton county went up this year by 50 to 75%.  Some folks are having to sell their houses and move elsewhere. 

so the aforementioned taxpayers are already being drained dry by the County

Agree TJ and add onto that the massive school levy which drove up property tax and I have to wonder who the hell thinks this is sustainable?

I’ve said it before and will say it again. NO WAY I vote to provide public funds from tax payers to billionaires.

I love my Bengals, but will gladly show them the best deals on moving trucks. Might even let them use my Kroger points to fuel up.

15 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

Joisey, you probably dont know this, given that you live in Indiana, but property taxes in Hamilton county went up this year by 50 to 75%.  Some folks are having to sell their houses and move elsewhere. 

so the aforementioned taxpayers are already being drained dry by the County

Sorry to hear that. Here in the great (/sarcasm) state of Indiana, property taxes rates are capped by a constitutional amendment passed a decade or two back. Homeowners can’t be charged more than 1%. Awesome, right? Well, funny that, it turns out that somehow your assessment just keeps going in one direction every year, no matter what. Bought my place nearly 20 years ago for $160k. Haven’t done a thing except for absolutely necessary stuff, and not even all of that, but somehow the bill I just got the other day tells me the place is worth double what I paid for it now! I’d happily cash out now if I could afford a new place anywhere north of (checks notes) Mexico.

2 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

Agree TJ and add onto that the massive school levy which drove up property tax and I have to wonder who the hell thinks this is sustainable?

I’ve said it before and will say it again. NO WAY I vote to provide public funds from tax payers to billionaires.

I love my Bengals, but will gladly show them the best deals on moving trucks. Might even let them use my Kroger points to fuel up.

no fuel pumps at the great wall of Mt Washington