General Free Agency Thread

HoosierCat

Only dB to play 500 snaps and not miss a tackle?  That’s an amazing stat. 

We grabbed two of Zimmer’s corners from Minny.  He’s going to have to restock a little bit.  

I’ll be very interested to see if he attempts to get Dre Kirkpatrick. 

• Like 1

Glad they got Alexander, likely upgrade (and more reliable) than Dennard.  Yet the o-line and LB's are still hot garbage with little-to-no depth (Sua isn't going to be any sort of game-changer). 

Guess we'll wait and see what else transpires and happens in the draft, with Dalton etc...,   Burrow is going to struggle behind that o-line as-is, they need to do something at RT, LG, and find OT depth.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2020 at 2:46 AM, Stripes said:

Not impressed with early developments.

Hah! When I said this I was somehow not even aware of the signings to that point. My virus isolation has left me clueless, and clearly I didn't read the thread. Don't mind me gang, I'm a goon.

They're given a strong effort so far.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

Glad they got Alexander, likely upgrade (and more reliable) than Dennard.  Yet the o-line and LB's are still hot garbage with little-to-no depth (Sua isn't going to be any sort of game-changer). 

Guess we'll wait and see what else transpires and happens in the draft, with Dalton etc...,   Burrow is going to struggle behind that o-line as-is, they need to do something at RT, LG, and find OT depth.

A better dline will cover some of the deficiencies at LB. Agree that they haven’t done near enough work on the oline, and I’m not confident that the draft will fall in a way that will enable them to address it. All we can do is wait and see.

On 3/18/2020 at 2:55 PM, volcom69 said:

Maybe one day they will value the O-line a little bit, maybe just a little. 

Maybe they will value the LB position as well one day. 

Hopefully there is a trade or something for a OG or LB

Remember that time they drafted Spikes and Simmons in round one?

• Like 1

The impact of the draft on the offensive line is debatable anyway.  Even if you are using first round picks on line prospects.      A lot of these guys aren't playing well until year 3. 

Obviously there will be exceptions but it isn't a cure all for line.   The biggest boost for the line will be the young players they have.   Hopkins, Jordan, Price, Williams, and Johnson some combination of them are going to have elevate their performance big time.  

Would they realistically be able to get an impact RT at 33? 

I'm still of the mindset that an impact LB is the largest need for this team.
Even if I think (which I do) that the o-line is a 1b in regards to needs, the coaches don't.
#33 won't be a lineman unless someone crazy falls to that point.

Even with the way LB's are being talked up, i'm not sure what's left at #33 will be the best value for them.
It wouldn't surprise me to see them add a top WR to pair with Burrow as he's coming up as well.
Well, God knows it will be fun to watch it unfold.

• 3 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

I'd like to see them pick up another FA lb with some speed, coverage talent, and special teams ability

and an ORT

yeah, I can dream....even tho I find it hard to believe there isnt a player who is either better than Hart or just as, uhm, "good" for less money

June 1st cuts. Bet we are active then with first waiver priority.

I think Bill O'Brien hates Texans fans.  It has to be something personal with them that he just wants to piss down their backs...
I wonder if he's still sticking to the story about trading Hopkins being about money ??

What's worse are the Texans fans blinded by O'Brien and defending the move by claiming how stellar their WR corps is.
I like the Texans as my 1b. team and follow their moves fairly closely, but this is just epic stupidity on O'Brien's part.

And here we have been complaining about Melvin...

• 2 weeks later...

Today’s installment of “The Houston Texans have no idea what they’re doing.”

Kicker from the pft story:

Tunsil, who will be under contract through the 2023 season once he signs, acted as his own agent. He negotiated the deal directly with Texans coach and General Manager Bill O’Brien.