Bengals Draft

Scottishbengal

Army, I think the Pitt QB Savage reminds me out of Romo, though some could even say he looks a but like Carson, or even Luck. I think he could be a nice r5 or r6 project. His footwork is sloppy and his mechanics are raw. But the arm is there, his vision is good and he's big and decently mobile.

There is something about Garapalo that appeals, too. He has a toughness and athletic edge that gives him some upside. He has a better arm than Dalton and seems very solid. He reminds me a lot of Wilson, maybe with a slightly weaker arm.

As for the r1 pick at 24, I'm beginning to think they might trade out of the spot depending on who slips. Picking up a couple of picks might make more sense, if they can get another r2 and r3. Plenty of attractive CBs and Oline in that range.

Might be the smartest options in addressing the known weaknesses.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see those comparisons, but now go look at some highlight clips of Ben Roethlisberger.

I will agree there are things that he needs to work on for the next level, but I see a lot of Big Ben in Savage.

With Campbell in place, I would have no issue seeing them use a 6th or maybe even a 5th on Savage.

I would much prefer that to a guy coming off an ACL, having character concerns, or is considered Dalton Jr.

Give me a guy that could be a huge difference if developed.

If both of the top two CB's are gone by #24 (which I expect) I would have no issue in seeing them trade down and grab a guy like Fuller or Verrett.

I'm not good with either of them at #24 however and would prefer a versatile OL at #24 if they can't make a move.

I finally took a swag at a mock in the other forum, but was thinking about the alternatives (I believe there are many) and who falls.

I'm not talking about QB's either, because anything short of Bridgewater falling to #24 and I hope to see a trade down.

I will be watching to see if a guy like Zack Martin or Calvin Pryor falls a little further than they think.

I had indicated a draft might go like this one

/>http://thebiglead.com/2014/04/02/2014-nfl-mock-draft-five-weeks-to-the-draft/

Note at 19 one of the quarterbacks is still there, only to be grabbed (as I said) by Arizona at pick 20

I think the Bengals need to look at a scenario like that and maybe even approach Miami in advance of draft day with a "if this happens" trade agreement proposal

If they can come away with pick 19 for our 24 plus a our 4 and 7....i think thats got to be the way to go, if it nets us one of the 4 QBs

I know there are needs at other spots. I know we need a corner and a C and (etc etc) but a quality QB will improve this team much more than any of those other position players can

Given that draft, I would be MORE than pleased taking Gilbert at #24 rather than giving up draft picks for any of these QB's in the first round.

Especially when considering they would get zero production from them this season.

I would be totally on board with giving up a butt load in 2015 if Dalton isn't extended.

2014 ?? Give me a player in the first that improves their chances at winning now instead of sitting the bench.

If one FELL to #24, then that would at least give pause to consider it.

Unless contract negotiation have basicly reached Carson Palmer 2010 levelsthe Bengals should not and will not grab a QB in the first 3 or 4 rounds, if someone falls to them in the 5th that is where it would be reasonable to start thinking of QBs IMHO.

Say what you want about Dalton but most of the league would take him in a heartbeat.

I very much doubt the Bengals will pick a QB, other than maybe a late-round candidate for the No. 2 job. But there's no sense in doing a deal with Dalton before the draft. Why tip their hand?

Rang's mock doesn't annoy me because they don't take a QB. It annoys me because it would be another example of churning in place: let's let a proven tackle and a proven DE go and draft an unproven tackle and an unproven DE to replace them. SSDY.

Rang is annoying in that each week he changes things for each team and then gives reasons why that player will get the nod.

I don't see it as anything more than a way to get people to look.

He's literally had the Bengals taking 5 or 6 different players at #24 over the past 3-4 weeks.

Verrett, Roby, Fuller, Su'a Filo, Ford, Ealy and probably more.

And I agree with that assessment.

On an unrelated topic.

One of the more aggravating things about the Bengals coverage in this Draft period is the assumption that because we lost a DE and a Offensive Tackle in free agency we have to Draft those positions early. Specifically with DE that position is still one of the deepest on the team and the Bengals did a fine job of planning for the departure of MJ with the selection of Hunt and most Draft experts are too lazy to research the teams roster to figure it out.

I've made the same comment myself Wraith.

They only way they take a DE early is if the positions they would rather take don't present good value at that spot and DE is clearly the BPA.

Outside of that, they could wait until the later rounds to address the position.

I still would have rather seen them address it through free agency (at no cost to the comp pick of course TJ) then wait.

Then again, there are still more cuts to come and you never know who might be out there in days/weeks to come.

Phil Simms isn't real high on any of the top QB prospects. He does single out two late-rounders he believes have potential, Virginia Tech's Logan Thomas and Pitt's Tom Savage.

Reports have the Pats as one of the teams sniffing around Thomas. His cbs sports write-up paints him as a guy with plenty of physical tools but needing lots of polish and projects that he could go undrafted.

The Hair raised some eyebrows for rating Savage as a third-rounder. CBS says 5. NFL.com says 6-7. The write-ups make him sound a bit like a poor man's Carson Palmer.

I'm not high on any of the top QB prospects and why i've been so vocal about not wanting to see them trading "up" if they wanted one.

Nothing would piss me much more than seeing something like that happen.

I would rather them sit and wait and look at any of the other QB's to be had after the first handful are off the board.

My mock has them taking Savage late and I would LOVE that, but I see a poor man's Big Ben, not Palmer.

Hokie had good insight on Thomas, so i'll conceed to his thoughts.

Speaking of QBs, the developing story of booze, pot, possible sexual assault and Colin Kaepernick.

Man, who hasn't woken up in a hospital with no idea how you got there?

By now, if you are a young lady with questionable moral values who enjoys casually getting penetrated by a pro athlete or two, you should just about expect this to happen. I'm not saying I endorse it, or that I think any crime should go unpunished. What I'm saying is caveat emptor. Also, the Niners should be outraged by Kaepernick's conduct and shove him out the door, publicly shaming him in such a way that he is an unwanted pariah in the NFL. A broken man. A man in need of... that's right, redemption. (Preferably in a stadium along the Ohio River. On the north side of the Ohio River, that is.)

Man, who hasn't woken up in a hospital with no idea how you got there?

Yeah, I hate when that happens.

The situation is worth watching, though, since Kap is after a big-bucks deal that was certain to impact whatever Dalton is offered. Now you have to think that the Niners at least wait for the dust to settle, which probably means no progress for Andy and the Bengals.

Just a revisit on what the pundits are thinking our first round pick will be :-

Timmy Jernigan ....NT...Florida State (Daniel Jeremiah)

Ryan Shazier ...OLB .....Ohio State (Bucky Brooks, Mike Huguenin))

Dee Ford ....DE....Auburn (Charles Davis)

Bradley Roby ....CB....Ohio State (Chase Goodbread, Bryan Fischer, Matt Smith)

Being a Buckeyes fan and if I had to take either Shazier or Roby, I would take Shazier.

There are still so many different ways they could go in the first round it's crazy.

Those that say it "HAS" to be one position or another (CB, DE) might be in for a shock.

Someone always falls that you didn't think would be there. ALWAYS.

Being a Buckeyes fan and if I had to take either Shazier or Roby, I would take Shazier.

There are still so many different ways they could go in the first round it's crazy.

Those that say it "HAS" to be one position or another (CB, DE) might be in for a shock.

Being not a buckeye fan, can you explain Shazier to me a bit? Is there a particular game I should watch? Seems like a lightweight Caleb Miller-type. In my limited viewing, he seems to get pushed around quite a bit. Bad if that's happening at the college level...

Being not a buckeye fan, can you explain Shazier to me a bit? Is there a particular game I should watch? Seems like a lightweight Caleb Miller-type. In my limited viewing, he seems to get pushed around quite a bit. Bad if that's happening at the college level...

Lightweight Caleb Miller ?? That's a tough comparison right there and not one I could find my way to agreeing with, but one sees what one sees.

That being said, Shazier is just one of those instinctive LB's that is always around the ball. He has the speed to play pass coverage and is great when watching him sent in on a blitz. While I will readily admit that he might not be the biggest player on the field, the guy just knows how to play and makes big plays in every game. Seriously, there wasn't a single OSU game where Shazier wasn't making a big play. He just has a knack for it. Put him in behind our d-line and team him up with Burfict and it's certainly something I would enjoy watching.

I still can't say as I know which spot they would utilize him in the LB corps, but there are still questions concerning everyone coming back opposite Burfict. If Porter is 100%, i'm really excited about what he could bring. Lamur has always been more than capable and was looking at a ton of snaps last season until he went down. Then there are the other guys in the mix as well. If I read a recent article correctly, even Vinny Rey was going to get a look on the outside.

I don't know what to make of our LB at this point or how Guenther might move things around, but I could see a situation where the players most thought we would take at #24 are gone and Shazier would present as the best player available. Then again, as I mentioned earlier, some player most thought wouldn't be there when your team goes on the board, falls. It happens every draft.

Wish we didn't have to wait an additional two weeks this year.

Hate that change.