Bengals Draft

Scottishbengal

If there was a CB that I would bet on falling, it would be Verrett.

I think teams will shy away from his height and would rather not take the chance until the 2nd.

I would be more than happy with him in the 2nd, but not so much in the 1st.

2 RB's with Burkhead sitting in reserve ?? No point in that.

With one of those two RB picks grab another OLB.

I agree with taking 2 CB's and 2 O-linemen.

With the probable two comp picks, give me another o-lineman and a QB.

2 Comp picks? who did we lose last year? Comp Pick's for MJ & AC won't be until next year I thought.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All accounts i've seen say we are looking at two late round (5 or later) comp picks.

AC and MJ won't have anything to do with this year's comp picks.

Depending on what they do the rest of the way, we should be looking at two thirds and at least a third and forth.

All accounts i've seen say we are looking at two late round (5 or later) comp picks.

AC and MJ won't have anything to do with this year's comp picks.

Depending on what they do the rest of the way, we should be looking at two thirds and at least a third and forth.

ahh okay and makes sense

I think teams will shy away from his height and would rather not take the chance until the 2nd.

2 Comp picks? who did we lose last year? Comp Pick's for MJ & AC won't be until next year I thought.

here is who we lost/signed last year:

CINCINNATI BENGALS:

Lost: Andre Caldwell, Nate Livings, Mike McGlynn, Frostee Rucker, Jerome Simpson

Signed: Jason Allen, Jamaal Anderson, BenJarvus Green-Ellis

We ended up with 2 comp picks in the 7th round last year.

here is who we lost/signed last year:

CINCINNATI BENGALS:

Lost: Andre Caldwell, Nate Livings, Mike McGlynn, Frostee Rucker, Jerome Simpson

Signed: Jason Allen, Jamaal Anderson, BenJarvus Green-Ellis

We ended up with 2 comp picks in the 7th round last year.

This looks like 2012, not 2013. BJGE signed in 2012.

Things Hobson Says That Make No Sense, Part The Infinity:

The Bengals are on course to keep three quarterbacks for the first time since Dalton became the starter in 2011. Despite Thursday's signing, it is believed the Bengals are still going to be perusing the May 8-10 NFL Draft for a quarterback that can be groomed with extension talks for Dalton expecting to heat up at some point before the start of this season’s contract year.

Huh? IF they are going to extend Dalton this year, what would they want a young QB to groom for? I guess maybe the backup spot?

I can't say as I get that thought at all if they truly desire to extend Dalton THIS offseason.

I would rather them keep Campbell around longer and worry about the 3rd QB later ??

I have little concern with Josh Johnson as the #3 or even McElroy for that matter.

I guess if they just have to have a QB sitting on the practice squad, then fine, but seems like a waste of a pick.

With Campbell now on board, I don't want to see a QB drafted until the 4th or 5th at the earliest unless someone falls they weren't expecting.

With Campbell now on board, I don't want to see a QB drafted until the 4th or 5th at the earliest unless someone falls they weren't expecting.

Yeah, I think that if they are going to extend Andy, a QB before the 5th at earliest would be a waste. OTOH Hobs also says he thinks they will carry 3 QBs, which would suggest taking one early enough that he might be picked off the PS. Maybe they are trying for a Favre/Rogers type thing but it seems like a luxury pick given all their other needs.

Yeah, I think that if they are going to extend Andy, a QB before the 5th at earliest would be a waste. OTOH Hobs also says he thinks they will carry 3 QBs, which would suggest taking one early enough that he might be picked off the PS. Maybe they are trying for a Favre/Rogers type thing but it seems like a luxury pick given all their other needs.

If they carry 3 QBs AND a FB (not Orson Charles), I will be very surprised.

They will carry at least 3 TEs, Gresh/Eifert/Blocking TE, so now that's 7 spots burned minimum.

With 6 WR (Green, Jones, Sanu, Sanzenbackup, Whalen, Tate), 4 RBs (Gio/BJGE/Rex/Cedric)

Now we are at 17, add at least 10 Oline, now at 27.

Things Hobson Says That Make No Sense, Part The Infinity:

The Bengals are on course to keep three quarterbacks for the first time since Dalton became the starter in 2011. Despite Thursday's signing, it is believed the Bengals are still going to be perusing the May 8-10 NFL Draft for a quarterback that can be groomed with extension talks for Dalton expecting to heat up at some point before the start of this season’s contract year.

Huh? IF they are going to extend Dalton this year, what would they want a young QB to groom for? I guess maybe the backup spot?

Something tells me they will not be offering Dalton a record setting contract. Nothing like what Flacco/Ryan/Stafford dollars... No way.

I do hope they go after a QB in r3-5. Maybe Mettenberger or Thomas?

From NFL.com draft rumours for the Bengals :-

First-round spot: 24

» Bengals' 2014 draft picks | Draft history

The AFC North champions have a talent-laden roster, and that has resulted in three consecutive playoff appearances. However, the Bengals are still chasing that elusive first-round playoff victory, and shoring up some areas on defense could make that unit among the NFL's best. The secondary and linebacking corps could be areas of focus in the draft.

2543748.jpgCaraun Reid, DT, Princeton

March 21: Bengals coach works out Reid

Bengals defensive line coach Jay Hayes put Reid through his positional drills at Princeton's pro day. Defensive line is the top area of need in the draft for the Bengals, according to NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah. Reid, meanwhile, could give Princeton a player picked in the draft for the second consecutive year.

2543847.jpgJohn Brown, WR, Pittsburg State

March 21: Bengals coach puts Brown through punt drills

A special teams coach from the Bengals put Brown through punt return drills at Pittsburg State's pro day, where Browns was challenged to catch the punts one-handed from the JUGS machine while at the same time throw a ball in the air and catch it with the other hand.

2543673.jpg2543674.jpgAnthony Denham and Jake Murphy, TEs, Utah

March 19: Bengals TE coach works out Utah duo

Bengals tight ends coach Jonathan Hayes worked out Denham and Murphy at Utah's pro day. With Jermaine Gresham -- a two-time Pro Bowl pick -- as starter, tight end isn't a position of need in the draft, but the team could always be on the lookout for depth.

2543587.jpgAaron Murray, QB, Georgia

March 19: Bengals among 12 clubs most interested in Murray

A dozen NFL clubs have shown more interest in Murray than others, and not surprisingly, the Bengals are among them. The club's reported interest in Murray as a potential successor to starter Andy Dalton, however, is just one of many possible destinations for one of college football's most prolific passers.

2543705.jpgWeston Richburg, C, Colorado State

March 13: Bengals coach works out Richburg

Bengals tight ends coach Jonathan Hayes worked out Richburg at Colorado State's pro day. While Richburg doesn't fill an immediate need in Cincinnati, any team would be wise to check out the CSU center. NFL Media senior analyst Gil Brandt said that if a team is looking for the next Alex Mack, Richburg is that guy ... he'll be your starting center for the next 10 years.

2543650.jpg2543651.jpgAaron Lynch and Tevin Mims, DEs, South Florida

March 11: Bengals DL coach gets good look at USF duo

Bengals defensive line coach Jay Hayes was among the representatives from 13 different NFL teams on hand for South Florida's pro day. Lynch and Mims each worked out, and each figures to be third-day selection possibilities in the 2014 NFL Draft, according to NFL Media senior analyst Gil Brandt.

2543493.jpgJason Verrett, CB, TCU

March 7: Bengals DB coach watches Verrett

Bengals defensive backs coach Vance Joseph attended TCU's pro day, when Verrett posted a 39 1/2-inch vertical jump and 19 reps in the bench press. NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah lists cornerback as one of the Bengals' three biggest draft needs. Verrett is currently Mike Mayock's No. 5-rated cornerback in the 2014 draft, and all four NFL.com mock drafts have Verrett going in the first round.

Interesting bit on WR Brown retruning punts ...can't see this spells the end for Tate if it happens, more likely he'd get more snaps at WR .

Maybe looking at TE's with a view to Greshams contract being up after this season ....or maybe even his level of play ??

Not sure about QB Murray either now we've signed Campbell and invested a comp pick in him. I think we need an older head behind Dalton rather than another rookie.

Also surprised there's only one CB showing (i think we could take two in the draft) and no Safety which I believe we also need to look at

All I got from the above is that Daniel Jeremiah isnt a very good analyst

I agree with that thought TJ.

I still don't know how anyone can think CB is a solid position for us at this point.

That being said, I can't say as they "have" to address it in the first and it could wait until the 2nd depending on who's there at #24.

If both Gilbert and Dennard are gone (probably) before we pick, I guess I would be ok with either Fuller or Verrett, but I don't really want them there.

I don't want to force the issue when there will surely be other players that could make an impact.

With knowing Whit is going to be back at LT, I want an OG for the left side in whichever of the first two rounds we don't take a CB.

Drafttek's latest mock turns out pretty well for the Bengals...

/>http://www.drafttek.com/2014-NFL-Mock-Draft-Round1.asp

#24 - Justin Gilbert

Oklahoma State

CB

#55 - Cyrus Kouandjio

Alabama

LOT

#88 - Chris Smith

Arkansas

DE43

#119 - Robert Herron

Wyoming

WR

#152 - Caraun Reid

Princeton

DT43

#183 - Jimmy Garoppolo

Eastern Illinois

QB

#216 - Bennett Jackson

Notre Dame

CB

Oh, I think they are going to take a LT as well, but my thought is that taking an OG in the 2nd would pay larger immediate dividends.

I just think an early round OG could actually win the starters role and that's what I want with the early picks.

From a position the rookie could actually earn the starter's spot.

a wide receiver? really?

(ok, yeah, I know Marvin has a disease-like need to have 2 or three of them every draft, but still)

Gimme a S or LB at that spot instead

Oh and Army - gimme a OT over an OG if all else is equal every time

easier to find good guards than good tackles

I agree with the sentiment. A DB would be my preference at that spot with the mandatory WR pushed to the 7th. That said, if I could lock in these draft results today, I would take it.

I don't know that we'd want to draft Cyrus Kouandjio at all, regardless of the round

/>http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000328001/article/cyrus-kouandjio-failing-club-physicals-at-combine

Ew. "Botched" knee surgery sure doesn't sound good.

I'm still so up in the air about what they do in the draft, it's hard to even take a guess about how this might fall.

My new favorite developmental QB is Tom Savage from Pitt.

Anyone have any insight that was gained by actually watching him ??

I've read the reports and watched some of his games that were posted on youtube, but can't say as I watched him play live much, if ever.

I do know when I was watching some of the Pitt games that were posted I got the feel for another QB in the league right now.

Does he remind any of you guys of a starter in the league right now ??

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSfhpmeRmY0