Zimmer, Gruden Preping for HC Interviews

HoosierCat

Per Muckraker Mike.

For example, in Denver we’re told that offensive coordinator Mike McCoy and defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio are each getting their ducks in a row, in the event that they are asked to interview for jobs during the upcoming bye week (if, of course, the Broncos earn a bye).

In Cincinnati, the same thing is happening with offensive coordinator Jay Gruden and defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer. The earliest they’ll be available to interview, however, would be after wild-card weekend.

No real surprise I suppose. If Gruden leaves I have to think that Hue would be a prime candidate (assuming he doesn't get HC interest as well).

On a related note, there was some speculation that Andy Reid might end up in Cleveland, but the latest report has him eyeing the San Diego job.

Yeah, no real surprise at all. There was a point earlier in the season when the team was doing poorly that it might affect them.

With them getting back to the playoffs, that no longer appears to be the case. If it was at all.

I would be really curious who would be brought in to replace them should they leave.

Andy Reid to the Browns would suck. Andy is a guy that i would love to have coaching here. I remember he took over a horrible Eagles team, and has had 1 losing season. He gave the eagles hope year in and year out. He did that with not so great of teams as well. So im hoping Andy gets his shot somewhere, just not the browns please.

Losing Zimmer will certainly suck, but he's going to get his shot eventually so long as his defenses continue to perform at this level. I don't quite understand why Gruden is mentioned in the HC discussion though, and I didn't get it last year either. I haven't had a problem with his handling of the offense, but I wouldn't say I consider him essential either.

Reid is one of the few in the league who can compete with Marvin in the area of bad clock management. Also, his teams tend to throw the ball way too much even when a talented running back is in place. Go ahead and do that, Cleveland.

Really Andy Reid the guy who took over a horrible Eagles team in 1999, and had 1 losing season along the way, no way would I want him to coach in the division. His teams had no talent for the longest time, but he still took his team to the NFC championship games, and made the playoffs, he at least gave his team a shot every year, unlike alot of coaches in this league. Sure he has flaws, but he is the one guy who could take an awful team, and make them a playoff team in no time.

Reid is one of the few in the league who can compete with Marvin in the area of bad clock management. Also, his teams tend to throw the ball way too much even when a talented running back is in place. Go ahead and do that, Cleveland.

Really Andy Reid the guy who took over a horrible Eagles team in 1999, and had 1 losing season along the way, no way would I want him to coach in the division. His teams had no talent for the longest time, but he still took his team to the NFC championship games, and made the playoffs, he at least gave his team a shot every year, unlike alot of coaches in this league. Sure he has flaws, but he is the one guy who could take an awful team, and make them a playoff team in no time.

I won't argue the true facts that you stated, but you are leaving out the last few years. When everyone thought they were SB contenders at the very least and didn't make the playoffs. Has the game passed him by?

Losing Zimmer will certainly suck, but he's going to get his shot eventually so long as his defenses continue to perform at this level. I don't quite understand why Gruden is mentioned in the HC discussion though, and I didn't get it last year either. I haven't had a problem with his handling of the offense, but I wouldn't say I consider him essential either.

I can think of three reasons why Jay would be in demand. One, he has a track record of success in three leagues, NFL, UFL and the Arena League. Two, his last name makes him an easy sell to the fan base. Three, he woul be a boatload cheaper than a coach like his brother or Bill Cowher. He already turned down offers to interview last year. Really, I will be surprised if he doesn't leave after this season.

I won't argue the true facts that you stated, but you are leaving out the last few years. When everyone thought they were SB contenders at the very least and didn't make the playoffs. Has the game passed him by?

I don't think the game has passed him by, but I do think he needs a change of scenery. The team has lost alot of management, and coaches as well, I just think he needs a new team. Now I will admit I don't like some things he does as a coach, but to only have 1 losing season since 1999, is pretty crazy. I live near Philly, and it's crazy how the Eagles fans are calling for his head, as a Bengsls fan I think how great it would have been to have only 1 losing season after that many years. Just saying if he goes to Cleveland I can see him taking that team pretty far.

To be fair, I think the offense is a consistent #2 WR and a change of pace RB shy of being much better. Between Sanu and Jones, they may have covered the first problem in the long term. We'll see how big a priority they feel RB is after a slightly above average season from Green-Ellis.

I'm not terribly worried about the offensive line. The sacks are frustrating, but I blame the receivers and Dalton himself as much for those as the line.

Lots of overreaction in here. Dalton threw for 27 tds this year, and under Gruden is only behind Marino and Manning for most tds in his first two NFL seasons. They did that last year coming off the strike awfulness with no camp and this year with remaking the interior of their line in the last week of the pre-season by necessity, and then having to try and remake the passing game during the year after they found Sanu and he got hurt.

All in all, I think the offense has made nice progress and is poised for big things next year. Particularly given the passing game and a return to health from the o-line (I would like to get Wharton back, myself).

In any event, not as down on the offense as a lot of the rest of you seem to be.

Don't forget injuries to Scott, Pressley and Peerman that sabotaged the run game as well. I agree, Gruden is squeezing a surprising amount of blood out of stones.

Right, all that, I am certainly not trying to minimize what they are trying to overcome.

Let's just say I suspect a Carson/Brat team folds their tents weeks ago and this is a 5-11 season. Gruden/Dalton have done a lot with a whole bunch of handicaps this year, I would submit.

I will certainly be hoping for more consistency next year, but health, Dalton's third year, and hopefully a healthy running game and Sanu should be a big help toward that.

All i'm saying is, that something needs to give to get more out of these guys.

Stats for one guy or another aside, the offense as a whole is lacking.

If Gruden is or isn't to blame for that I don't know.

They had Dalton, Green and Gresham in the pro bowl last year. Whit is always in that conversation.

Andre Smith has been more than solid at the RT spot.

While the issues they faced in the interior of the o-line were certainly a challenge, most already felt Boling was an upgrade to what Wharton was going to bring, as he wasn't a highly rated OG to start with. Zeitler was a given and has lived up to his draft spot and some. The center position was in flux with the injury to Cook and while in one breath I can certainly admit that, in another you can make the argument that Robinson (an UDFA rookie) has filled in better than anyone ever thought possible.

With all that being said, why does the offensive unit still lack so much overall ??

I would say the running game, but very rarely do you see them changing things up in that aspect either.

I have another thought but will wait until the offseason, as not to get roasted for being a downer headed into a playoff game.

Again, maybe it's Gruden, maybe it's not, but they need to get more consistency out this unit.

Simply put, consistency at WR beyond Green. It's a passing league and Dalton has had five No. 2 WRs this season. That, I believe, is why they used today to force-feed Jones. They need him to grow up fast.

I have no doubt that when this offense can put Green, Jones and Sanu on the field at the same time they will destroy teams left and right.

Simply put, consistency at WR beyond Green. It's a passing league and Dalton has had five No. 2 WRs this season. That, I believe, is why they used today to force-feed Jones. They need him to grow up fast.

I have no doubt that when this offense can put Green, Jones and Sanu on the field at the same time they will destroy teams left and right.

Co-sign.

Don't forget about Lattimore @ RB he might drop to our natural pick in the 2nd

I'd forget about him, because after that horrific injury, most think he will be sitting on IR for the next season.

He would have to fall much further for me to be interested. It's a shame he's been injured so much.

That being said, the RB spot should have been addressed with more then BJGE and a 7th rounder last season.

If they can get that speed back to help Dalton that would be great regardless of who the OC is.

Don't bring up Bernard Scott either. I didn't like him heading into last season and I like him less now.