Zimmer, Gruden Preping for HC Interviews

HoosierCat

I don't think Zimmer would make it as a head coach. I think he's a hell of a coach, don't get me wrong, but he's not the head coaching type.

Zimmer doesn't like to play the politics that head coaches need to do to be successful. I think he'd have alot more chance at being successful if it were the 60's, 70's, or 80's. But not now.

I would root him on if he were to leave. I love the guy.

Gruden could get picked up but I don't think he's ready for a HC position.

I was listening to Mark Schlereth yesterday and he made a great point. Don't try and force success. Master your job/craft first and let success find you.

Gruden is far from having mastered even being an NFL coordinator, let alone an NFL head coach.

Like Zimmer, I'd cheer him on if he left.

Sure a new TE coach, and new QB coach, and a new OC while were at it. Grudens offense is just way to inconsistant, he averages 6 yards a carry and hardly runs the ball. He runs it 1 time on 3 downs then punts. When the other team cant stop the run on 1st down, you run it again, and again until they prove they can stop it, even then you run it more. He promised a power running game, but he fails to run the consistantly when he is actully doing good running it.

So this week when they asked Gruden about the possible head coaching jobs, he said and quote "im just trying to get a first down", yea um, maybe he should keep trying because hes not very good at getting them.

Grudens offense is just way to inconsistant,

Re consistency. let me throw this out just for conversation:

Gruden's most experienced receivers are AJ Green, Andrew Hawkins and Brandon Tate. Tate sucks and Hawkins is what, the first 5-7 receiver with 50+ catches since 1991 or whatever that graphic they showed during the game was?

In two years he's had two different No. 1 and No. 2 RBs.

In two years he's had 7 different interior linemen.

I submit that Bill Walsh would suck in similar circumstances.

Gruden's most experienced receivers are AJ Green, Andrew Hawkins and Brandon Tate. Tate sucks and Hawkins is what, the first 5-7 receiver with 50+ catches since 1991 or whatever that graphic they showed during the game was?

I understand what your saying Hoosier, i just hate how his offense is hot for 5 games, then the next 5 they strugle to move the ball at all. Im sure he is going no where, and ill be here rooting for him to get his offense right, but would just love to the consistancy. I just want to see him stick with the run more, he quits to fast for my liking when it comes to the run. Anyways i dont see any big changes coming.

I don't think annual changes are unusual for any team these days, everyone has injuries and FA defections/replacements and drafts new players. I'm not sure how many "downgrades" they've had on offense in two years, it's pretty much been the same.

Gruden's offense the last month was historically bad and that simply is not a sign of a great offensive coordinator.

Gotta side with hooiser well id be happy see Hue get OC reigns I dont think gruden deserves be thrown out.if we had reggie white on the other side of AJ i see our offense having alot less problems...things started look good once sanu stepped up as 2#...I would like to see change from paul alexander oline looked good at times but after 15-18 years its time for change.

Cards will interview Gruden for their opening.

Looks like Chip Kelly will either take over in Philly or stay at Oregon. Browns are "rebooting" their HC search after not landing Kelly.

well hope the cards take him off our hands!

as for the browns why not take a shot at jim tressel? he's a better coach than kelly and has won at every level he ever coached. tress has been a hc for 25 seasons. he was in a championship game 9 of those 25 season won 5 championships. he has a 241-79-2, overall record. 5-3 in BCS games 23-6 in d1-AA playoff games. if your looking in the college ranks who could be better?

I was hoping Kelly would land in Cleveland as I have no faith that he will be a success at the NFL level.

Never a player, position coach, coordinator, water boy, nothing.

Some may say that can be an advantage, but I'm not one of them.

:huh:

He was the offensive coordinator at Oregon before getting the head coach job. He also has been an O-line coach and a D coordinator:

/>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chip_Kelly

What happened at Cleveland? Was it money or did he not want to work for such a dump of a franchise?

I was hoping Kelly would land in Cleveland as I have no faith that he will be a success at the NFL level.

:huh:/>

He was the offensive coordinator at Oregon before getting the head coach job. He also has been an O-line coach and a D coordinator:

At the NFL level.

Sorry, should have clarified.

:huh:/>

/>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chip_Kelly

What happened at Cleveland? Was it money or did he not want to work for such a dump of a franchise?

You answer your own ? with your last four words, "dump of a franchise".

The last thing the Eagles need is a coach who hasn't even figured out how to be a good coordinator yet.

The two things have little to do with one another. Just because you're a successful coordinator doesn't mean you will make a great head coach. See Shula, David; Coslet, Bruce; LeBeau, Dick, et. al. Jay has been successful as a head coach in both the UFL and AFL. No reason to think he couldn't do it in the NFL.

The last thing the Eagles need is a coach who hasn't even figured out how to be a good coordinator yet.

The two things have little to do with one another. Just because you're a successful coordinator doesn't mean you will make a great head coach. See Shula, David; Coslet, Bruce; LeBeau, Dick, et. al. Jay has been successful as a head coach in both the UFL and AFL. No reason to think he couldn't do it in the NFL.

He just seems clueless to what's going on at times and while he might have success at those other levels, he doesn't inspire confidence in me that he will successful at this level. I do get the other coordinator argument, but it's not like they had teams worth a sh*t.

Please show me where David Shula was a good coordinator anywhere. I'll be anxiously awaiting your answer...

Please show me where David Shula was a good coordinator anywhere. I'll be anxiously awaiting your answer...

Strangely enough he was considered one of the hot young up-and-comers back in the day (not unlike Gruden over the past two years). His stint in Dallas was ugly, but he had no running game and a rookie QB (Aikman) who was horrible early on. But you're right, calling him successful as a coordinator is a stretch, to say the least. If it makes you feel any better you can replace his name with Lewis, Marvin... ;)

Strangely enough he was considered one of the hot young up-and-comers back in the day (not unlike Gruden over the past two years). His stint in Dallas was ugly, but he had no running game and a rookie QB (Aikman) who was horrible early on. But you're right, calling him successful as a coordinator is a stretch, to say the least. If it makes you feel any better you can replace his name with Lewis, Marvin... ;)/>/>

You're getting at the point I'm trying to make. I'm no Marvin fan but the reason I don't rail on him is that he's better than what we've had in the past. In other words, he's no Dave Shula. Unlike Shula, Marvin was once a very good coordinator. I disagree with you that Shula was once a hot coordinator. He was a failure everywhere he went. Marvin didn't get any interviews because of his papa. I would even say that Marvin is a better head coach than LeBeau was. Dick was atrocious . Remember the year he had a three way competition for starting QB? Remember his Press Conferences? It was like he was interviewing himself:

LeBeau: "Do we need to play better? Yes we do. Do we need to tackle better? Yes we do. Do we need to block better? Yes we do..." All the way to a 2-14 season

Be careful what you wish for. We could go back to the days of Shula and LeBeau