All things T.O.

agreen_112

I think Shipley will get every chance you would expect as many thought he was going to be the top slot guy to begin with.

If they really do move Bryant to the slot, it will cut down those chances, but he will still get in there.

If Cosby isn't brought back, Shipley is looking to get all kinds of time in the return role.

Yea i forgot about Shipley and the return game. I do like Cosby not only for the return role, but on special teams period. Wow so many WR and not enough spots, i guess its a good feeling not knowing to to keep.

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please stop the stupidity. Bryant is fine.

And the idea that signing TO is somehow related to Bryant is stupid as well. This was a pretty sudden thing that happened when TO and his people contacted the bengals last minute. He was still available, mike Brown loves WRs, especially at a bargain price, they think they can win it all this year, so they made the move. If the bengals were really concerned about bryant's knee this whole time, they would have pursued something with TO a while ago.

Well sh*t, that sold me. JoePong is never wrong...right? I mean, he said it himself....wacko.gif

I think Shipley will get every chance you would expect as many thought he was going to be the top slot guy to begin with.

If they really do move Bryant to the slot, it will cut down those chances, but he will still get in there.

If Cosby isn't brought back, Shipley is looking to get all kinds of time in the return role.

Yea i forgot about Shipley and the return game. I do like Cosby not only for the return role, but on special teams period. Wow so many WR and not enough spots, i guess its a good feeling not knowing to to keep.

College is not the NFL, but Shipley did average 12.5 yds per punt return for his Career at Texas and have 3 Punt Returns for TD's......I like Cosby, and he's a heck of a special teams guy, but there are only so many roster spots...Anyways, I think we'll see a lot of Shipley returning punts in the pre-season (and yes, teams do actually punt in pre-season) before they make a final decision on Cosby and the 6th WR spot.

What's Antonio Bryant saying about all this?

Since AB has already collected almost $8 million ($7.85 to be exact) through his signing bonus, roster bonus, and workout bonus, I'm sure he's doesn't mind at all. Whether they want to play him in the slot, or place him on the PUP List, he's probably good just counting his paper.

Also, let's not forget, for all of Bryant's physical/athletic ability, he has never been a great route runner. His hands and leaping ability have made up for that though.

I personally could care less where they line up, just so long they're all on the field at the same time....scary.

Trust me, the narrative just changed. In fact, this seasons storyline just changed from a solid core of players slowly changing it's stripes to that of Ultimate Team Diva. And while I can applaud any move that improves the teams odds of winning, and this one does, I still shed a tear or two as I watch the team rather casually discard it's newly earned reputation as bonafied tough guys capable of beating teams like the Ravens and Steelers at their own game.

I don't know that it has. They still have that defense that knocks guys in the mouth. They still have Ced. And I'm guessing that when Marvin talks to Brat about game plans, he tells him to tear up the one that has them throwing 50 times a game.

They'll probably throw a little more than they would have otherwise, sure. But not that much more, because when you have a lead with a good defense you run, period. So let the divas enjoy the first quarter or so, the men are going to he in charge after halftime.

Also, I doubt that the defense wants to shed that image any more than you are to see it go. And I have a sneaking suspicion that training camp might be extra contentious as that hard-nosed D decides to earn their stripes by knocking those divas in the mouth. I'd love to see Hall and Oates - er, Joseph - pop Chad and Owens a few times to let them know who really runs this team. I have a feeling Roy Williams and Crocker won't be having any of this sh*t either. Batman and Robin, indeed.

I really wish this had been our year on Hard Knocks. I think it would prove very illustrative.

What's Antonio Bryant saying about all this?

It's been said that Antonio Bryant is the type of wideout who wouldn't say s**t even if he had a mouth full of it.

Personally, I'm not buying any of it...as I've never heard of a WR who didn't run his mouth constantly.

HOF meet Lavernius Coles.

I know, I know, but you didn't say "a GOOD WR who didn't run his mouth constantly."

Trust me, the narrative just changed. In fact, this seasons storyline just changed from a solid core of players slowly changing it's stripes to that of Ultimate Team Diva. And while I can applaud any move that improves the teams odds of winning, and this one does, I still shed a tear or two as I watch the team rather casually discard it's newly earned reputation as bonafied tough guys capable of beating teams like the Ravens and Steelers at their own game.

I don't know that it has. They still have that defense that knocks guys in the mouth. They still have Ced. And I'm guessing that when Marvin talks to Brat about game plans, he tells him to tear up the one that has them throwing 50 times a game.

It won't matter a bit. Because even thogh the core of this team hasn't changed the perception of who the Bengals are surely will.

For just one example, I just listened to Paul Daugherty on the Dan Patrick show this morning. During the interview Daugherty managed to put down the dick-shaped crackers he was eating just long enough to admit that the signing of Owens was like winning the lottery for every sportswriter, local and national. He further joked that this is the type of easy ongoing storyline that has every sportswriter begging his editor for a few more inches of print space. And he went even further by admitting that lazy sportswriters tasked with covering the Bengals no longer need to look any deeper than the surface for their material. Finally, he and Dan shared a few jokes about the circus coming to town before giving a nod to how entertaining this team will be now.

As if watching anything on VH-1 was entertaining.

College is not the NFL, but Shipley did average 12.5 yds per punt return for his Career at Texas and have 3 Punt Returns for TD's......I like Cosby, and he's a heck of a special teams guy, but there are only so many roster spots

Give me an inexpensive young proven star over an unproven rookie any day

and twice on Sundays

College is not the NFL, but Shipley did average 12.5 yds per punt return for his Career at Texas and have 3 Punt Returns for TD's......I like Cosby, and he's a heck of a special teams guy, but there are only so many roster spots

and twice on Sundays

I'm beginning to be concerned that your obsessive promotion of Quan Cosby just may signal the death knell of his career.

It won't matter a bit. Because even thogh the core of this team hasn't changed the perception of who the Bengals are surely will.

It already has. BTO (Before TO), the perception of this team was that it was a fluke division champ last season and destined to fade to third behind the Steelers and Ravens in the AFCN.

ATO, we're a playoff threat and possibly the most improved team in the division.

I'm not having a problem with this.

and twice on Sundays

Problem is limited roster spots, I love cosby and what he offers but if Shipley does a good job returning in preseason may hurt quans chances of making the team

I'm not having a problem with this.

I wouldn't expect you to. After all, you're a Bastard Son of Paul Brown and selling our collective souls for a WR is something you've advocated doing an average of three or four times every offseason.

Well, if that's true, why would you not expect me to have a problem with TO? After all, the Bengals hardly sold their souls for him.

Do we give one-tenth of a sh*t? As long as the character of the team itself doesn't change, the sportswriters can blah, blah, blah all day long.

Besides, won't it be that much sweeter when Chad and TO are both angels all year and the Bengals win the Super Bowl with a 16 play, 90 yard drive that consumes 10 minutes on the back of Cedric Benson? Then they can go back to eating those crackers you're so fond of.

Do we give one-tenth of a sh*t? As long as the character of the team itself doesn't change, the sportswriters can blah, blah, blah all day long.

I kinda wish they still doubted us so when we blast Ravens & patriots out of the water they couldn't say well we thought there was a chance of it happening :o

I leave you guys alone for 5 minutes... :o

So, he's cheap, which is good. The dude couldn't catch a cold these last few yrs and he's an even bigger asshat than 85. The minute he plays up, easy enough to jettison.

Hope you're all well.

Sup Pidge? One way or the other, I do believe we will be entertained this year...

Good thanks. Did my medial ligament playing rugby a few months back. At least I didn't have any speed to lose. So, my pride is dented a little but otherwise, all is good.

As for TO - catch the rock man. I was looking forward to seeing how the defensive improves after last yr but maybe, just maybe, the O won't resemble a complete and utter f**k up this yr.

My early feelings of a 10 win season might just have to re-evaluated. Can't wait for football season to start again!

and twice on Sundays

I'm beginning to be concerned that your obsessive promotion of Quan Cosby just may signal the death knell of his career.

Like Reggie Myles?

I'm a really big fan of Cosby as well and thought he should have been drafted around the 6th round, but certainly not go undrafted.

When he did and ended up here, I was really happy. I just didn't know how he was going to fit on the team.

Well, he earned a spot and performed very well, making this decision hard for the Bengals coaching staff.

Even with all that being said about me being a fan, I can still be objective about his chances of continuing with this team.

We have greater depth and talent than we did a year ago and have added players that "can" excel in the return game.

I know there is a chance they won't perform as well as Cosby did last year, but I think they take their chances with someone else.

Why ?? Because, as I've said before, you have a real possibility of both Chad and TO being gone next year, leaving us with a 30 year old Bryant.

Caldwell, can also play on the outside, but who else do we anticipate being here to help on the outside next year if those are gone ??

It's not that there's no love for Cosby, rather lack of depth for the outside WR's after cuts are made this season.

I simply think the inactive #6 WR will be an outside type of guy and not a slot WR.

I won't be happy to see Cosby leave though if he doesn't win a spot on the roster.

The idea that signing TO is somehow related to Bryant is stupid. This was a pretty sudden thing that happened when TO and his people contacted the bengals last minute. He was still available, mike Brown loves WRs, especially at a bargain price, they think they can win it all this year, so they made the move. If the bengals were really concerned about bryant's knee this whole time, they would have pursued something with TO a while ago. But the guy went through all the mini-camps, then the OTAs, off-season workouts. The bengals never made any move.

You think the bengals just suddenly woke up this weekend and said, "Hey, I totally forgot that Antonio Bryant had his leg amputated and can't play this year! I can't believe that slipped my mind! We better sign someone now!"

Throw in the fact that carson seems to be a key facilitator in this signing, and the act that they were working out together...that means this may not have happened otherwise. If Antonio Bryant's knee was the issue, they would have reached out to TO and would not have required carson pushing for TO before they were interested.

Holy Sh*t! I agree with JoePong! WTF?!!

I'm not sure what to make of it since anything can happen once. And I'm sure it's just a coincidence... but I can't shake the feeling that I woke up this morning feeling a little stupider than usual.