All things T.O.

agreen_112

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TJ, are you going to whine this much all season?

Asking in all seriousness, as I like to prepare my ignore button ahead of time.

It's day 1, can you lighten up, just a little?

ah yes

team says 'show up on x day at y time' and he doesnt have to do so, despite being paid more this year (even if he earns no incentives) than i will earn in a lifetime

and even though everyone else 'with his job' did so

I forgot

sorry

You do know he hadn't signed his contract yet, right? So, until he signs his contract it's pretty much the same as you telling him to show up on x day at y time. Can we all agree to stop comparing our jobs to playing in the NFL?

Can you imagine what it's going to be like when the Bengals cut Quan?

My fear of that possibility and what it might mean for this board shakes me to my core...

Can you imagine what it's going to be like when the Bengals cut Quan?

My fear of that possibility and what it might mean for this board shakes me to my core...

Back off the ledge, mem. We've been through it before....we'll make it through this time too.

I am hearing more and more about Bryant's knee. I really hope that he just needs a couple of months. We signed him to a pretty hefty contract for four years. I love the TO signing, but i really believe that this tells us a lot about the state of AB. I hope for the best. This is the most hyped I have been for a bengals team in forever.

ML says "no concern" over AB's knee per reedy on twitter...

We've heard this kind of stuff from ML before. If there's no concern then why are they holding him out of practice like they did last night? There's obviously some concern.

What I don't get is why Mike Brown would throw $28mill at a guy who isn't even healthy enough to go two practices a day. If this blows up in his face then MB has no one to blame but himself. He spent bucks on a guy who wasn't healthy enough to play NFL football on the hope that he eventually would get healthy

Another NFL Network video breaking down T.O. to the Bengals:

Scout's Take

Very nice video and agree with the thought of needing to be more balanced especially headed into the playoffs.

Something we were not last year. It was a gret point about us being #26 as a passing offense and it not being enough.

I like the smashmouth ball Benson and the team was playing last year but it wasn't enough.

I think it was 2007 but at about the 3 minute mark of that video TO could be seen beating one Leon Hall to the corner for a TD.

I don't think he's lost that much or at least I hope he hasn't.

Yeah Army. I agree with him that T.O. Probably isn't a true #1, but he's a hell of a #2. Bryant should be a ridiculous #3 (He's been a #1 most of his career)... and if the Bengals should ever choose to use 4 and 5 WR sets, who has enough DB depth to cover Shipley and Caldwell as #4 and #5 WRs? (not to mention TE mismatches with Gresham and Coffman).

After having the passing game be the weakest aspect of the team last year, how can anyone look at what they've done and not think they are the favorites to win the AFC North again? People who aren't paying close enough attention, that's who.

I've made the same comments at work when people ask me what I think about the TO signing. When the Bengals decide to run the large WR sets, who do you cover ?? Haven't the matchup nightmares with Gresham running the middle of the field only be amplified ?? Yeah, I'm still liking this. A LOT !!!

After having the passing game be the weakest aspect of the team last year, how can anyone look at what they've done and not think they are the favorites to win the AFC North again? People who aren't paying close enough attention, that's who.

Let's be fair, Baltimore does look like they will field a very good football team, even if the secondary looks absolutely horrible. What I can't figure out are all the people putting the Bengals in 3rd place behind Pittsburgh.

I think most have said the Ravens and the Bengals will be the two fighting it out in the AFCN this season and their offense should still keep it close. However, their secondary is not just weak, it's f*cking terrible. We beat them twice last season with the #26 ranked passing game and we have made great steps to shore that up with Bryant, TO, and our draft and have Carson's thumb back in one piece. With all those things taken into consideration, I don't see the addition of Boldin being the thing that pushes them ahead of the Bengals in regards to who "should" come out on top of the AFCN.

Let's be fair, Baltimore does look like they will field a very good football team, even if the secondary looks absolutely horrible.

I'm not saying the Ravens are bad. They may win the division... and if they don't, I expect them to be in the wildcard running. But the Bengals should be the favorites to win the division. They swept it last year... and the area that was considered to be the greatest weakness, is now considered by many to be an area of strength.

The Bengals #2 WR at the end of the season was Caldwell. Marvin called him the most improved player on the team... and he's still a 4th or 5th WR on this team. That's a dramatic improvement.

The Ravens area of greatest weakness (the secondary) is now considerably weaker with the loss of Foxworth and the fact that Reed won't be ready to play any time soon. The Bengals are a more complete team than the Ravens, and regardless of what "analysts" have to say, they are the favorites in the division in my opinion.

Some interesting numbers on TO. I didn't realize he ranked that high on the first two categories.

* 14,951 receiving yards, third in NFL history

*144 touchdown receptions, third in NFL history

* 1006 receptions, sixth all-time

*Six Pro Bowl selections and six All-Pro selections.

Some interesting numbers on TO. I didn't realize he ranked that high on the first two categories.

* 14,951 receiving yards, third in NFL history

*144 touchdown receptions, third in NFL history

* 1006 receptions, sixth all-time

*Six Pro Bowl selections and six All-Pro selections.

And if even if the Bengals win the Super Bowl this year, he probably won't be a first ballot Hall of Famer. That's if my quite negative perception of the voters is accurate.

Please stop the stupidity. Bryant is fine.

He hasn't practiced in days, Joe.

And the idea that signing TO is somehow related to Bryant is stupid as well.

He hasn't practiced in days, Joe

Reason listed in every source I have seen: knee.

Further, it was made known that he'd only do one session a day out during two a days, and now, after participating in a limited fashion in the very first practice, he's not practicing at all

I think it's crystal clear to everyone at this point that all is not right in Bryant-ville

To everyone else: he is not PUP-able for the year due to his single practice session at the opening of camp. Heavy sigh ensues.

Well, I still don't think Bryant is going anywhere. I also think once he gets on the field him, Chad, TO, Shipley, Caldwell, Gresham, so on and so on will make Carson a very happy camper. Since we are talking about AB here, this was over on the cincinnati.com site:

Bryant encouraged with recovery

Monday morning’s practice marked the sixth straight that Antonio Bryant has missed, but he seems to have more confidence that his left knee is getting better.

“The best thing I can say is there’s a lot of progress, a lot of things are on the up and up,” Bryant said. “There’s no decline in what I’m doing. I feel very encouraged by that. I’ve been able to do some things with my leg that I haven’t done ever since I’ve been rehabbing it. I feel good about that.”

Bryant is wearing 19 but that has not officially become his number. Once roster moves are made, he’s hoping to get something in the eighties (83 is the only open one at the moment). Bryant wore 88 in Dallas and 89 with Tampa Bay.

About his rehab, Bryant said: “Being in this situation, there’s going to be some things you have to battle through and I’m willing to do that. If I give it some time I can feel better and last a lot longer and be more effective in the end. The only way to make it feel better is running. Doing the natural movement and not putting too much weight on it. It’s more like a sprinter’s injury. The best way to get back into it is stretching, loosening the muscles and strengthening it.”

/>http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2010/08/02/bryant-encouraged-with-recovery-pearls-from-marvin/

So in a scenario where Bryant is cut or put on season ending IR

WRs

--Active-----

1 Chad

2 Terrible

3 Caldwell

4 Shipley (3 and 4 are more or less reversible)

5 Cosby

--Inactive---

6 Purify, Jones, or Simpson (Purify would be my preference)(odd men out are cuts)

--Practice Squad----

7 Briscoe (I think he's the only one who CAN be placed on the PS, and I don't have big worries some others do about him not clearing waivers)

So in a scenario where Bryant is cut or put on season ending IR

Premise rejected.

I'm expecting the Bengals to routinely hold Bryant out of practices for the forseeable future, if not all season, if not his entire career in stripes.

As for the role he'll play? Well, it seems likely Bryant will always be relegated to "other guy" status in the Bengals new "All Wingnuts" formation. But it may help to think of Bryant as a fully equal partner in the Bengals new Two Loon Platoon of Bryant/Owens.