A pact with the Pacman

mgi

Greg:

That's simply factually untrue that "31 other NFL teams had no interest in him whatsoever". His former D-coordinator, the very well-respected Jim Schwarz, now the head coach of the Lions, was interested in signing him. As were at least a few others reportedly, including the Jags.

As for everyone else who hates it:

I understand why people don't like it, but it is not as simple as saying that NO ONE else wanted him. And there are scenarios where he can help this team in 2010, providing he's in shape and keeps his nose clean. I acknowledge those last two things are not a certainty, or even necessarily probable. But, for league minimum, again, why not? Other than old jokes being rehashed, I don't see the downside. If he sneezes in the wrong direction at Goodell, he's gone. They would be using him as nickel CB at best, with replacements in house if he f**ks up and gets kicked out of the league, and, perhaps he helps them.

I am not saying this is the best signing ever, just saying that there are levels on which it makes sense, and I trust Marvin and Zim to think he can help. If not, he goes.

Worth a shot.

More importantly to me, it is a signal that Marvin et al think they have a window of opportunity to make a deep playoff run, and they are trying to capitalize on it. I like that.

Ok, technically a couple, at least according to you, recognzied NFL teams are/were interested in Jones, although apparently not enough to sign him/make him an offer, as I've not heard one offer being floated to Jones except, well, by us. I'm shocked you didn't throw in the Browns, Raiders and Rams to complete the circle of NFL-in-name-only teams that had interest.

Any teams that shouldn't be in the UFL express interest in him?

Just askin'.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At first I was all mad about the Bengals and their legal problems, but now I just roll with it. What else can you do? Complain all the time? Love the team worts and all. And yeah, I think if Pacman adds some depth at CB that's fine. Agreed about Cosby. Vital ST player and I hope he makes the team.

More importantly to me, it is a signal that Marvin et al think they have a window of opportunity to make a deep playoff run, and they are trying to capitalize on it. I like that.

Good thinking there. Now I hate the signing, but I love what it says about the mindset of our FO.

Like I said, folks, I get the discomfort. A lot of you are posters whose opinions on such matters I respect, and it gives me pause to see the unanimity amongst a bunch of you. I am not here screaming that any of you are wrong for such opinions or concerns.

My point remains, we, unfortunately, are a bit in the dark as to what the Bengals know about his conditioning and his commitment to getting back on the field and trying not to be a borderline felon and his commitment to giving a damn about his teammates and winning. Marvin and Zim worked him out twice at PBS, once in January, and once very recently, and Jones had that weird "pro" day down in New Orleans late in March. So they have certainly, I would hope, have laid eyes on him enough in that process to have some idea if he can help them. From an espn.com article about the March workout for several NFL teams:

Schwartz said Wednesday at the NFL meetings that the Lions were gathering more information about Jones' level of commitment and how he could fit in Detroit's system.

The Lions were among a few teams that worked out Jones last week in New Orleans. Savage said Jones worked out earlier in the year for the Bengals "and we're hopeful that we'll be back in Cincinnati here in the next week. And we're trying to coordinate with San Francisco to get out there and meet with them."

In the meantime, trainer Duke Rousse is putting Jones through two-a-days in New Orleans. Rousse said Jones has put on 13 pounds -- he's now at 181 -- and still clocks in the sub-4.5-second range in the 40-yard dash.

"He looks awesome," Rousse said. "Physically he's ready" to play in the NFL next season, but "the big question is not his speed or what he can do on the field."

I do understand the concerns. I don't reflexively dismiss them. But this team rolls dice. It just does. Worked with Benson. Didn't work with, say, Henry. Although it may have been working, people might argue. For better or worse, the laundry we root for sees itself as somewhat redemptive. As long as that works, great. If it doesn't, not so great.

I am bit of a dick, myself, and if it helps them win, than I am not all that bothered by it, frankly. But that's just me, perhaps.

I just like to see my favorite laundry win.

Paul Daugherty HATES this looming signing. HATES it:

/>http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/paul_daugherty/05/05/pacman/index.html

So...I am even more content with my take, since it does not leave me on the same side as Paul Daugherty.

So, apparently, is not having a fresh take.

Shocked the si.com has found and allowed Joe Posnanski a column on the baseball side. He's great. And quite by himself in his competence.

Everyone take it easy. Pacman might not even make the team. He still have Trent, Jones and Ghee in front of him. I say... big him in and see what we can do on the field...

While I don't think the detractors (including myself) are particularly passionate about this issue, I can say that the fact that he might not make the team is more of a reason he shouldn't have been signed in the first place then an indication of what a great idea the signing was. (BTW - has he even technically signed yet?)

What is interesting is that we now have 3 first round selections from what is generally considered the worst draft in the last 20 years, 2005. Ironically our own selection in the first David Pollack is not one of those three players. Pac-Man Jones was the 6th overall selection, Matt Jones was #21 and Cedric Benson was #4.

Here if my concern, we now have Pac-Man, Cedric Benson, Matt Jones, and Rey Maualuga who have a history of substance abuse problems to varying degrees. What happens if we do have an exceptional season and get to the Super Bowl which is a party masquerading as a game, can we trust these guys with success, I have no doubt that Pac-Man will be a saint during the regular season because he has had a taste of life without football and he realizes he is one screw up from being homeless and living in a park, but people with substance abuse issues often revert when thrown into situations when surrounded by temptation. Are we setting ourselves up for another Stanley Wilson?

Greg:

That's simply factually untrue that "31 other NFL teams had no interest in him whatsoever". His former D-coordinator, the very well-respected Jim Schwarz, now the head coach of the Lions, was interested in signing him. As were at least a few others reportedly, including the Jags.

As for everyone else who hates it:

I understand why people don't like it, but it is not as simple as saying that NO ONE else wanted him. And there are scenarios where he can help this team in 2010, providing he's in shape and keeps his nose clean. I acknowledge those last two things are not a certainty, or even necessarily probable. But, for league minimum, again, why not? Other than old jokes being rehashed, I don't see the downside. If he sneezes in the wrong direction at Goodell, he's gone. They would be using him as nickel CB at best, with replacements in house if he f**ks up and gets kicked out of the league, and, perhaps he helps them.

I am not saying this is the best signing ever, just saying that there are levels on which it makes sense, and I trust Marvin and Zim to think he can help. If not, he goes.

Worth a shot.

Ok, technically a couple, at least according to you, recognzied NFL teams are/were interested in Jones, although apparently not enough to sign him/make him an offer, as I've not heard one offer being floated to Jones except, well, by us. I'm shocked you didn't throw in the Browns, Raiders and Rams to complete the circle of NFL-in-name-only teams that had interest.

Any teams that shouldn't be in the UFL express interest in him?

Just askin'.

And no one wanted Cedben either,I'm not saying pacman will help our team but it's not costing us anything to give him a looksie if he can still play great for us if he can't back to the curb he goes.

Here is my concern, we now have Pac-Man, Cedric Benson, Matt Jones, and Rey Maualuga who have a history of substance abuse problems to varying degrees. What happens is we do have an exceptional season and get to the Super Bowl which is a party masquerading as a game, can we trust these guys with success, I have no doubt that Pac-Man will be a saint during the regular season because he has had a taste of life without football and he realizes he is one screw up from being homeless and living in a park, but people with substance abuse issues often revert when thrown into situations when surrounded by temptation. Are we setting ourselves up for another Stanley Wilson?

I don't see this being a problem Rey seems to have gotten it,Cedric you haven't heard a peep from (all he did was drink on a boat who doesn't do that :P) then pacman who may mess up but think even his dumb ass realizes if he messes up one more time hes out of the NFL.

Downside 2: Pacman plays concierge for our draft picks. There's sort of a critical density of fuggtards beyond which you have problems. I can't recall who said it, but some player (not on the Bengals) said that you can get away with drafting character risks as long as you surround them with high-character vets to keep them in line. That would be sort of the opposite of this move. Basically, I don't want this guy anywhere near the rookies in the same way I wouldn't let him babysit my kids.

I don't really see that as a potential problem. PacMan doesn't really have any "clout". I think everybody pretty much knows he's a knucklehead, who's one miscue away from being banned for life from the NFL.

I strongly believe the rookies (i imagine you meant Ghee) will look to emulate Leon Hall and Johnathan Joseph, as they have had much more productive careers, and are widely regarded as one of the best CB tandems in the league.

Also, keep in mind that Pac Man was a knucklehead with his own crew. I don't recall any of his other teammates getting in a ton of trouble because of his dumbass.

I don't really agree with this signing(if it happens), but I'm not going to b*tch about it either. I'll just trust Marvin and Zim to do what's best for the team.

The talk of a multi-year deal does actually make more sense if it's structured right. You have to figure he's not in game shape, and probably will take the better part of a season to reach that level. So, if he does compete for the nickel spot it probably won't be until later in the season.

If this team is looking to make a strong playoff push....you can never have too many defenders.

For the record, I keep trying to set the pee-soaked mattress on fire, but so far it has refused all attempts to set it ablaze.

Too much pee, no doubt.

In retrospect I should have let the pee dry a bit before wasting all of those matches.

So yeah.

Waiting.

You are either very persistent, or very stubborn...or maybe just a Pyromaniac....The jury is still out....

Reedy: final details being hammered out now.

Details include:

Who should be contacted when the player is allowed to make only one phone call?

How much should a one-legged stripper be tipped?

When is it appropriate to shoot everyone and then sort it all out later?

And finally, can any bystander in a strip club really be considered innocent?

Reedy: final details being hammered out now.

Details include:

Who should be contacted when the player is allowed to make only one phone call?

How much should a one-legged stripper be tipped?

When is it appropriate to shoot everyone and then sort it all out later?

And finally, can any bystander in a strip club really be considered innocent?

Tryin to figure out which is funnier? You're hilarious details? or that they may actually be real details in the contract?

What happens if we do have an exceptional season and get to the Super Bowl which is a party masquerading as a game, can we trust these guys with success, I have no doubt that Pac-Man will be a saint during the regular season because he has had a taste of life without football and he realizes he is one screw up from being homeless and living in a park, but people with substance abuse issues often revert when thrown into situations when surrounded by temptation. Are we setting ourselves up for another Stanley Wilson?

While I was clearly (although not particularly adamantly) against this move, I can easily file the above concern under "Problems I Would Like to Have."

See me after we win the AFC.

/>http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/paul_daugherty/05/05/pacman/index.html

So...I am even more content with my take, since it does not leave me on the same side as Paul Daugherty.

How he works Ben Roethlisberger into the article is a piece of work. :rolleyes:

How he works Ben Roethlisberger into the article is a piece of work. :rolleyes:

That was exactly my reaction. Jones had just had an extensive conversation with Detroit media in which he said, among other things:

“My whole message is, I know about my past,” Jones said. “I’m not really here to talk about my past. I’ve made some dumb decisions in the past, but I’ve grown from that. I’m focused as a person. You ain’t got to worry about no phone calls at 3, 4 in the morning. I’m here to play football.

“It’s going to be the same pressure that’s on me right now,” Jones said. “If I get a speeding ticket or whatever I get, it’s going to be (news), with a team or without a team. That’s been known. I just got to keep doing what I’m doing and make sure things like that don’t happen.”

except for an incident with his bodyguard that triggered his ’08 suspension -- Jones has been free of trouble for three years. Jones was 21 when drafted. Now he is 26 with a daughter and a fiancée who is expecting.

“I don’t do the things that I used to do,” Jones said. “I don’t hang out with the crowd that I used to. I’m a grown man now. I have a little girl. I have a fiancée with another baby on the way. So them days are over with, the kid days. It’s about my family now.”

If Jones gets a lot of money, will he slip into bad habits again?

“No,” Jones said.

Why not?

“You get older,” Jones said. “I was a kid straight out of college. Partying was what I liked to do back then. I’m pretty much partied out now.”

Now, maybe Pacman is full of crap, but can Doc at least pay attention to what he says, not what Ben Rapistburger's lawyer wrote to the commish? Sheesh.

I love this quote from Tank Johnson, "There is a small fraternity of bad boys who turned to good boys. When you come in here, keep your mouth shut and decline all interviews and that’s it."

A sound(less) policy.