A pact with the Pacman

mgi

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carson is not getting any younger, it's time to start developing someone.

He's still 4 years younger than Peyton Manning.

Age is not the concern with Palmer. It's having weapons and time to throw. Two things that Manning has always had plenty of, and the reason no one ever discusses the fact that he's 34 and entering his 13th NFL season.

We've got a good 5 years before we need to discuss Palmer getting too old.

Carson doesn't have time to throw? Let's wave the bulls**t flag on that one, go look up the sack numbers of the quarterbacks that made the playoffs and let me know where he falls. Of course Manning has less sacks he gets the ball out faster then anybody else, the left tackle (Tony Ugoh) for Indy is one of the worst in the league. Garcon & Collie would equal Coles and Caldwell if they were on the Bengals, Manning puts the ball on the spot vice throwing three feet over there heads. I was trying to be nice and use the getting older excuse but I should have said was regressing, we will see this year though no excuses, I hope he smacks me in the mouth with the season that he has this year.

I will second this, Carson has shown less and less ability to accuratly deliver the ball to his recievers. Hopefully this is his comeback player of the year award season and he can channel some Kenny Anderson completion % numbers.

Well, this isn't really the thread for this argument... but if you want to look up stats, look up how the Bengals interior O-Line fare against that of the Colts. And that's where the pressure has been consistently coming from. Palmer has always been one of the best QBs in the NFL at throwing the ball away rather than taking the sack. Palmer was only sacked 17 times in '07 (Bengals record), despite Ghiaciuc starting 12 games, so sack numbers aren't a great representation of the O-Line problems.

Palmer wasn't on target. It's true, but if you watch the Jets/Bengals game, and then watch the Jets/Colts game, you'll see a very different story.

Peyton Manning was sacked twice and had two inaccurate pass attempts in their first 2 series (both punts), because the Jets defense was getting great pressure. After that, there wasn't another sack in the game. The O-Line adjusted, and Manning had more time. Something Palmer never had against the Jets. He was never able to get comfortable, because they simply weren't able to handle the pressure the Jets were bringing.

If you think Palmer is done, fine. That's your opinion. But don't act as if he's been given every luxury that Manning and Brees have had over the last few years.

Good post, and I concur. QB's just don't all of a sudden "lose their accuracy" unless they are truly injured, which I don't think is the case with Palmer at this point. He's having to deal with breakdowns across the line and a rotating RT tandem last year that was up and down depending on who they played, along with the weak interior line (which probably won't get much better this year).

It's a vertical passing system (or it was) dependent on timing, coordinators over the last few years have adjusted to Bratkowski's stale system as well, so they simply went to the run more often.

Better WR's will help, a dual threat TE will help, but a very average to below average interior line will probably have us cursing at the offense's ineffectiveness again this year.

It's the one area the Bengals' really didn't address at all, which I don't understand. Hope for the best.

Palmer did not just lose his accuracy. He has sustained repeated injuries, that have left him rehabbing more often than he is training. He needs to have a good offseason and get his mechanics back to where they were, when he was accurate. This can all be traced back to his injury in his first playoff game, he has been struggling to stay healthy and get all the pieces back together at the same time, ever since that horrible injury to his knee. So far this offseason, he has been healthy and I would assume he has been working on his throwing mechanics everyday. I'm sure he wants to put last year behind him more than most of us fans do.

I'm hoping for a return to dominance from Palmer. With the new weapons and, hopefully, a great/new Offensive scheme from the brain of

Brat, he will be able to help the team repeat as AFCN Champs.

WHO-DEY

Bringing in Pacman was "hardly unanimous" decision

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on May 9, 2010 5:08 PM ET

Pacman Jones will officially become a Cincinnati Bengal Monday, ending a three-month process that began with a workout in February alongside Matt Jones.

The decision to bring Pacman in was not well received throughout the Bengals organization, though. ESPN's Len Pasquarelli writes the decision was "hardly unanimous" inside the front office, and it wasn't a "slam dunk" among the coaches either.

Bengals front office translation: Mike Brown really wanted Pacman, and he's the boss.

If nothing else, the Bengals are getting Jones with little relatively risk. He will "cut himself" with one misstep and he's going to be the team's third cornerback at the very best. He's a role player, and even a roster spot can't be assured.

Sounds like This type of stuff may be what drives Marvin to another Organization...Overall as a Depth perspective I don't mind the move but we all know son of a genius is just looking for a Bargain deal so he can let Joseph walk next season.

Well Hobnob seems to bespinning about how Top Flight cornerbacks just cost to much...even though zimmer & Marvin both said your defense is only as good as your cornerbacks.

Well there's your first problem. Reading what Hobson puts out as alleged writing.

Wow, read through all 6 pages of this one and find some things interesting.

While I can understand the objections in the signing of Adam "Don't call me Pac Man" Jones, it's at the league minimum with incentives. If nothing else, he provides another person to challenge for playing time at the position. Is that really a bad thing ?? If he screws up, he's gone. No if, and's, or but's about it. Where's the downside without being all dramatic ?? He's provides exactly the same situation to our secondary that Matt Jones provides our WR corps and some think he's going to be a starter, but if not, he's gone as well.

Maybe he provides another person to push our return people, maybe not, but when was the last time there was actual competition at those spots on the roster ?? How nice is it that we are now in a position to have to worry about who the 3-5 CB's on the roster are or who is our return guy if the starter goes down ?? It's a cheap move that the Bengals will get bashed for because they are the Bengals. If the Lions had signed him, it would have been the "continued effort of the Lions to improve their team" and nothing more.

If you are one of the ones that can't grasp it, here's one last thing. It's simply what this team does. I bitched about Foschi last year for the same reason and the PR hit, but I was wrong and he had a better season than I would have hoped for. If the team benefits from the move, great, if not, there are plenty other players there and Adam Jones will again be looking for employment.

If none of that works for you, we have 5 preseason games...

Well Hobnob seems to bespinning about how Top Flight cornerbacks just cost to much...even though zimmer & Marvin both said your defense is only as good as your cornerbacks.

Well there's your first problem. Reading what Hobson puts out as alleged writing.

Indeed tend to take what he says for a grain of salt but when it seems like hes doing prep work to soften the blow of mike browns cheapness :P

Mike Brown letting a first rounder walk so he doesn't have to pay the second contract price? I'd be pissed.

Then again, when the Patriots do it, the press swoons and waxes poetically how Bellicheck is a genius that thinks outside the box.

Mike Brown letting a first rounder walk so he doesn't have to pay the second contract price? I'd be pissed.

I'd be pissed too... if that's the reason. But I'd be more prone to believe that Joseph might not actually be worth the contract he'll demand.

Yeah, he had a better than expected rookie season. And last year he was great... but he hasn't exactly been the model of consistency. Is it so easy to forget how bad he was in '08?

If he has another great season this year, he'll deserve to have '08 stricken from memory... and he'll have earned the big paycheck he'll receive. But I'm not convinced the Bengals are plotting to let him walk just yet. It seems far more likely they are planning ahead for the fact that he's been bad almost as often as he's been good.

If he has another great season this year, he'll deserve to have '08 stricken from memory... and he'll have earned the big paycheck he'll receive. But I'm not convinced the Bengals are plotting to let him walk just yet. It seems far more likely they are planning ahead for the fact that he's been bad almost as often as he's been good.

I can get that for sure...but I'd really rather that Pacman doesn't become the JJ backup plan. Hopefully that 3rd-round pick we have pans out.

Related question - are Hall and JJ seen potentially as an either/or for a long-term deal? Is signing both feasible?

From the thread Icehole posted with the interview of Mike Zimmer there was one question that struck me

Asked if "AJ" can make the team, Zimmer responded by saying:

"We don't know if that's the case".

So, for everyone thinking "AJ" is going to step into the 3rd CB spot by default, they might want to guess again. I also liked Zim's comment about not drafting a nickel CB, but drafting players they think can actually come in and start if one of the starters go down. With that comment, I think Ghee and not "AJ" would be the one being viewed as JJoe's replacement, if and when he doesn't get resigned.

Once again though, the signing of "AJ" was on the cheap, so no harm no foul...

• 2 weeks later...

From the OTA today.

What did it mean that the Bengals gave you another shot after you sucked so bad in your first workout?

AJ: It was a blessing. I was excited. I had a couple of more teams with interest, I felt like I made the best decision for me and my family. And I like it here, you know what I mean? I like the coaches. I like the way Zimmer coaches. I like my DBs coach. I do not… I don’t… wait a minute, how do I say it? I do not don’t want to be a part of this, you know what I mean, so I’m going to do whatever I need to do to be a part of this. My talent speaks for itself. I’ve just got to keep working. If I keep working, I’ll be all right.

LOL - Adam - Just say you 'Want to be a part of this" You confused me there.(to his credit he did answer a lot of question..probably tired of talking)

He did look quick out there on the field.

Then again, when the Patriots do it, the press swoons and waxes poetically how Bellicheck is a genius that thinks outside the box.

Ya but Patriots haven't won one in quite some time so maybe they should kept those players instead of getting worse and worse...

I'd be pissed too... if that's the reason. But I'd be more prone to believe that Joseph might not actually be worth the contract he'll demand.

Which I don't think he should be payed as top 5 CB but top 10? would be fair but it does take two to tango and he just may not wanna extend because he knows he probably get get a much bigger deal in FA ala Nate Clements

From the OTA today.

What did it mean that the Bengals gave you another shot after you sucked so bad in your first workout?

AJ: It was a blessing. I was excited. I had a couple of more teams with interest, I felt like I made the best decision for me and my family. And I like it here, you know what I mean? I like the coaches. I like the way Zimmer coaches. I like my DBs coach. I do not… I don’t… wait a minute, how do I say it? I do not don’t want to be a part of this, you know what I mean, so I’m going to do whatever I need to do to be a part of this. My talent speaks for itself. I’ve just got to keep working. If I keep working, I’ll be all right.

LOL - Adam - Just say you 'Want to be a part of this" You confused me there.(to his credit he did answer a lot of question..probably tired of talking)

He should be a great pickup for us,. I really think dallas was a fluke... He didnt have his mind right... Now he does,.. He's rested bigtime. And humble and wants to learn... You know who carson compared him to???

TROY POLOMALU!

From the OTA today.

He should be a great pickup for us,. I really think dallas was a fluke... He didnt have his mind right... Now he does,.. He's rested bigtime. And humble and wants to learn... You know who carson compared him to???

TROY POLOMALU!

He definitely is a good athlete.

Troy Palumalu? C'mon Carson. If we can get half of what Troy does Ill be happy.

BUt I think you are right. He seems focused on football.

The part about that article that struck me is remembering the fact he wasn't reinstated immediately and didn't have all the time in Dallas to prepare and learn their system as he does now in Cincinnati. Couple that with a renewed outlook on life with his fiancee and I think we have someone that can VERY easily compete for the 3rd CB spot as well as provide depth if either JJoe or Hall were to get injured.

I'm simply hoping for the best from AJ, but understand it's still early on in the process...