A pact with the Pacman

mgi

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the record, pacman jones record is only a portion of why I want him out of here. Going back, watching his play in Dallas, this guy was aweful. Those who say they are only concerned with on the field, be worried with this guy teaching some of our young cbs hes horrific techniques. He was bad on defense, he was average at best on kick returns, and he had one of the worst punt return seasons of anyone in nfl history. We would be better off with Kiewan Ratliff out there on punt returns than what this go showed in dallas(which he should of realised had a shot to be his last chance just like now).

This move is nothing more than a GM move that has served Mike Brown well as of late. He's buying low.

He has bought low regularly in the draft, taking talented players who have fallen for various reasons. He has had more than his share of success with that strategy, even in spite of the noteworthy busts that go along with such a strategy. Just looking at the current roster will bring to mind the pages of debate that occurred over draft picks like Andre Smith, Bernard Scott, Frostee Rucker, and even Chad Johnson.

Recently he has chosen to buy low in free agency more aggressively. Many Bengal fans met the signing of Cedric Benson with rolling eyes, knowing the kind of negative PR move it was. The same can be said about Tank Johnson, Larry Johnson, and Shaun Smith. Despite the negative PR, none of the terrible things predicted when these guys were signed ever came to fruition.

The recent signings of Matt Jones and Adam Jones are nothing more than MB hoping to get a bargain when a player's stock is down. Is it a sound strategy? Time will tell, but other than the negative PR, there isn't a ton of risk involved when you buy as low as he been doing recently.

Now, if only someone could have convinced him to learn to sell high (Chad Johnson - '08)

This signing will happen if for no other reason to add another Jones to the roster. (Matt Jones, David Jones, Dhani Jones, Pac-Man Jones?) The Bengals sure like saving money by having guys with the same last name on the roster. If it wasn't for the OchoCinco name change there would still be 4 Johnson's on the roster!

P.S. I like this move because it simply adds depth to a position that has become overly important in a now pass happy league. Now if the Bengals can only find someone that cover TE's they would have something!

It's official.

joereedy

Adam Jones will sign the contract on Monday in Cincinnati. Two years at the league minimum with incentives #bengals

4 minutes ago via TweetDeck

I like the incentives part in contrast to the league minimum.

The more I read about this move from Zim and ML's perspective, the more I am happy with my initial reaction. And, at the least, Jones is saying the right things. If he has grown up a bit, and is in shape, I feel a lot better about a season where they have six games against teams with 4000 yard passers last year with the CB depth where it is now as opposed to where it was before his signing. If he is ready to be the dime or even nickel corner, that is huge for this team.

Perthe .com Wilson also in, put a wrap on our preseason we are done unless they want to pull a TO out of the hat.

One more move to make, sign JaMarcus Russell next for a bargain contract. Stop trying to fool us with Jordan Palmer on the roster and put somebody that actually has talent in that spot and that we can develop to be a future starter. JaMarcus is not a bad person (criminal) he has all the tools but is just lazy, but just like A. Jones you stress to him that if you have to speak to him about his weight his next move will be packing his stuff. Another high reward low risk situation for the team. Carson is not getting any younger, it's time to start developing someone.

Carson is not getting any younger, it's time to start developing someone.

He's still 4 years younger than Peyton Manning.

Age is not the concern with Palmer. It's having weapons and time to throw. Two things that Manning has always had plenty of, and the reason no one ever discusses the fact that he's 34 and entering his 13th NFL season.

We've got a good 5 years before we need to discuss Palmer getting too old.

The more I read about this move from Zim and ML's perspective, the more I am happy with my initial reaction. And, at the least, Jones is saying the right things. If he has grown up a bit, and is in shape, I feel a lot better about a season where they have six games against teams with 4000 yard passers last year with the CB depth where it is now as opposed to where it was before his signing. If he is ready to be the dime or even nickel corner, that is huge for this team.

I'm still not a big fan of this pick-up. He will have to behave himself and play well for at least the first year of the contract before I will admit that this might have been a good move.

Sure. But it's pretty damn low risk. If he doesn't behave well, he's gone. And it's not like the Bengals are expecting him to fill a starting CB role. If he is in shape, and wins a job in camp, it will be as depth. And given that the team opens against Brady and Flacco, I will be thrilled if he can play his way into the 3rd corner or dime corner role.

I sure would not bet against Zim and Coyle on this one.

Age is not the concern with Palmer. It's having weapons and time to throw. Two things that Manning has always had plenty of, and the reason no one ever discusses the fact that he's 34 and entering his 13th NFL season.

Carson doesn't have time to throw? Let's wave the bulls**t flag on that one, go look up the sack numbers of the quarterbacks that made the playoffs and let me know where he falls. Of course Manning has less sacks he gets the ball out faster then anybody else, the left tackle (Tony Ugoh) for Indy is one of the worst in the league. Garcon & Collie would equal Coles and Caldwell if they were on the Bengals, Manning puts the ball on the spot vice throwing three feet over there heads. I was trying to be nice and use the getting older excuse but I should have said was regressing, we will see this year though no excuses, I hope he smacks me in the mouth with the season that he has this year.

Carson doesn't have time to throw? Let's wave the bulls**t flag on that one, go look up the sack numbers of the quarterbacks that made the playoffs and let me know where he falls. Of course Manning has less sacks he gets the ball out faster then anybody else, the left tackle (Tony Ugoh) for Indy is one of the worst in the league. Garcon & Collie would equal Coles and Caldwell if they were on the Bengals, Manning puts the ball on the spot vice throwing three feet over there heads. I was trying to be nice and use the getting older excuse but I should have said was regressing, we will see this year though no excuses, I hope he smacks me in the mouth with the season that he has this year.

I will second this, Carson has shown less and less ability to accuratly deliver the ball to his recievers. Hopefully this is his comeback player of the year award season and he can channel some Kenny Anderson completion % numbers.

I will second this, Carson has shown less and less ability to accuratly deliver the ball to his recievers. Hopefully this is his comeback player of the year award season and he can channel some Kenny Anderson completion % numbers.

Well, this isn't really the thread for this argument... but if you want to look up stats, look up how the Bengals interior O-Line fare against that of the Colts. And that's where the pressure has been consistently coming from. Palmer has always been one of the best QBs in the NFL at throwing the ball away rather than taking the sack. Palmer was only sacked 17 times in '07 (Bengals record), despite Ghiaciuc starting 12 games, so sack numbers aren't a great representation of the O-Line problems.

Palmer wasn't on target. It's true, but if you watch the Jets/Bengals game, and then watch the Jets/Colts game, you'll see a very different story.

Peyton Manning was sacked twice and had two inaccurate pass attempts in their first 2 series (both punts), because the Jets defense was getting great pressure. After that, there wasn't another sack in the game. The O-Line adjusted, and Manning had more time. Something Palmer never had against the Jets. He was never able to get comfortable, because they simply weren't able to handle the pressure the Jets were bringing.

If you think Palmer is done, fine. That's your opinion. But don't act as if he's been given every luxury that Manning and Brees have had over the last few years.

Exactly, and I'd say AT LEAST 5 years.

Well, this isn't really the thread for this argument... but if you want to look up stats, look up how the Bengals interior O-Line fare against that of the Colts. And that's where the pressure has been consistently coming from. Palmer has always been one of the best QBs in the NFL at throwing the ball away rather than taking the sack. Palmer was only sacked 17 times in '07 (Bengals record), despite Ghiaciuc starting 12 games, so sack numbers aren't a great representation of the O-Line problems.

Palmer wasn't on target. It's true, but if you watch the Jets/Bengals game, and then watch the Jets/Colts game, you'll see a very different story.

Peyton Manning was sacked twice and had two inaccurate pass attempts in their first 2 series (both punts), because the Jets defense was getting great pressure. After that, there wasn't another sack in the game. The O-Line adjusted, and Manning had more time. Something Palmer never had against the Jets. He was never able to get comfortable, because they simply weren't able to handle the pressure the Jets were bringing.

If you think Palmer is done, fine. That's your opinion. But don't act as if he's been given every luxury that Manning and Brees have had over the last few years.

Good post, and I concur. QB's just don't all of a sudden "lose their accuracy" unless they are truly injured, which I don't think is the case with Palmer at this point. He's having to deal with breakdowns across the line and a rotating RT tandem last year that was up and down depending on who they played, along with the weak interior line (which probably won't get much better this year).

It's a vertical passing system (or it was) dependent on timing, coordinators over the last few years have adjusted to Bratkowski's stale system as well, so they simply went to the run more often.

Better WR's will help, a dual threat TE will help, but a very average to below average interior line will probably have us cursing at the offense's ineffectiveness again this year.

It's the one area the Bengals' really didn't address at all, which I don't understand. Hope for the best.

Actually, they addressed that need by drafting two UDFA's, Hudson and Kelly.

How does one "Draft" an UDFA ?

It's easy. All you have to do is burn a draft pick on a prospect who wouldn't be drafted otherwise. And in the examples of Hudson and Kelly, both players, and their agents as well, admitted they didn't expect to be selected in the draft, and were hoping to be signed afterwards as UDFA.

Crumbs.

It's easy. All you have to do is burn a draft pick on a prospect who wouldn't be drafted otherwise. And in the examples of Hudson and Kelly, both players, and their agents as well, admitted they didn't expect to be selected in the draft, and were hoping to be signed afterwards as UDFA.

Crumbs.

poop

Crumbs.

Well, they had the talent to be drafted IMO... hudson is instantly our backup RG... and one can argue you can get a 3 year starter in the free agent system... but i wouldnt push my luck,.. we got em in the right spots...