A pact with the Pacman

mgi

We know JJoe and Leon have our corners secure, so this adds serious competition to the nickel spot as well as PR/KR. If he signs league minimum, which I think Reedy suggested was the case earlier today, we have added a solid CB into the fight. Having legit "who's it gonna be" competition will only do good things for the team. If Zimmer thought this dude would be a problem or negatively affect the defense in any way, there's just no way this would be happening.

I totally agree. If he comes in and does well, great signing. If he comes in and is out of shape and pretty much just done, we waive him. Nothing to lose other than listening to some lame Bengals=Criminals jokes, but really...who cares? There were jokes when we signed Benson too.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But Zimmer is not concerned about the PR blowback...

Then why should anyone else be?

Yup even if we didn't sign Pacman people still like to make cracks about the bengals, so IMO Fu*k em...I doubt we sign him if Zimmer didn't want him so if he works out good for us.

He sucks he gets cut he gets in trouble he gets cut and he acts like a douche he gets cut low risk high reward.

I'd hate this signing if we had to rely on him as a starter, but we don't even have to rely on him as a nickel. If he comes in and bombs, gets in trouble, or cops an attitude, we are still set at corner with Ghee and Trent. He'll add great depth, and if he doesn't, we are alright anyway.

From my perspective, the depth on this team is shaping up to be at least top five in the NFL. IMO, the only big question mark we have is Carson, and I have a good feeling another season to heal that shoulder will do wonders for him.

People need to calm down, you would think the Bengals was signing him to some lucrative contract. The contract would be for the league minimum if we signed him, just like Matt Jones he knows that this is his last chance so why in the hell would he come in to training camp out of shape when he knows that the Bengals could just cut him and keep moving. I haven't seen Ghee yet so I reserve judgment on him but those other guys, Jones and Trent are not play makers they are special team type players IMO. I'm not a PR guy so I could care less what the national media thinks, if this guy comes in and plays his butt off they move on to talk about someone else. This guy would be one of my least worries on the team because he knows the Bengals or whomever signs him has his nuts in a sling.

I'd hate this signing if we had to rely on him as a starter, but we don't even have to rely on him as a nickel. If he comes in and bombs, gets in trouble, or cops an attitude, we are still set at corner with Ghee and Trent. He'll add great depth, and if he doesn't, we are alright anyway.

From my perspective, the depth on this team is shaping up to be at least top five in the NFL. IMO, the only big question mark we have is Carson, and I have a good feeling another season to heal that shoulder will do wonders for him.

I agree totally, that's who people need to worry about is Palmer he without a doubt will be the difference this year it's all on his shoulders, they have did an outstanding job of getting him the pieces that he needs just like LBJ said no excuses. QB and safety are the only two positions that the depth is questionable on the team IMO.

From OCNN... Adam "PacMan Jones is officially a Bengal, you heard here first on OCNN News , the rest can #kissdababy

hell may not be a nickle could be dime and even then it's like wow I was happy with trent last year as nickle now he's gonna be fighting with jones for time.

When the Lions were close to signing him, it was just "What have they got to lose?" Now it will turn into an overblown Bengals in stripes mantra, but I don't care. They are signing guys that can help the team for cheap deals. I believe the foundation of this team is high character guys. Saints, Colts, Patriots, Chargers, and even the Jet's with all their new receivers are going to be throwin like crazy. They have to load up on corners. The oddest thing to me is what Mike Brown saw in that 05 draft class.

Shula I hope yer wrong just because I really wanna see JJ resigned but I don't doubt someone on the team now will be seen as his replacement even if they aren't close to the same level of his play...gotta save dollars

PS,OCNN was wrong he hasn't signed the deal but will be a bengal in the next week.

/>http://www.nooooooooooooooo.com/

That's pretty much how I feel.

I hit that button like 10 times, I dont think it worked.

As for this move, I'm 100% against it in every way shape or form. Not just because of the pr, but because he is not a good player. I don't see him doing anything positive for this team.

As for this move, I'm 100% against it in every way shape or form. Not just because of the pr, but because he is not a good player. I don't see him doing anything positive for this team.

Well, assuming he isn't completely shot, he probably becomes the team's best kick returner simply by signing his name. For everyone who craves a big special teams threat, here's your guy.

Interesting note: nfl.com says that Cincy & Pacman are working on a "multiyear" deal. I'd guess a Benson-esque two-year deal; if Pacman shows he's still got some wokka wokka, he's young enough to hope to cash in on one more big deal.

I understand Pacman makes Chris Henry look like a choir boy but let's remember too that hitting on these kind of guys has worked in the past. I would argue that there's no way this team makes the playoffs in 2005 without Chris Henry and Odell Thurman and there's no way they make the playoffs last year without Cedric Benson.

Well, assuming he isn't completely shot, he probably becomes the team's best kick returner simply by signing his name. For everyone who craves a big special teams threat, here's your guy.

Interesting note: nfl.com says that Cincy & Pacman are working on a "multiyear" deal. I'd guess a Benson-esque two-year deal; if Pacman shows he's still got some wokka wokka, he's young enough to hope to cash in on one more big deal.

Shipley could out kick return Pacman in his sleep. And anyone who thought Morgan Trent got beat is gonna get an absolute thrill out of this guy. This guy hasn't played since 2008. And that is the only year he ha played since 2006. So in the last 3 years he has had 21 punt returns for 95 yards, thats an impressive 4.52 yards per return. 7 kick returns for 155 yards 22.1 yards per return.

In comparison Bernard Scott had 16 returns for 504 yards, 31.5 per return. And Quan Cosby had 40 punt returns for 474 yards, 11.4 average. Aka the human fair catch machine had a career low of 5.6 yards per return. and has a career average of 7.1 Pacman jones has had over 10 yards per return only 1 season in his career. Since being drafted in 2005 he has had 1 good year in returns. And that year he averaged less per kick return than Scott last year.

Shipley could out kick return Pacman in his sleep. And anyone who thought Morgan Trent got beat is gonna get an absolute thrill out of this guy. This guy hasn't played since 2008. And that is the only year he ha played since 2006. So in the last 3 years he has had 21 punt returns for 95 yards, thats an impressive 4.52 yards per return. 7 kick returns for 155 yards 22.1 yards per return.

In comparison Bernard Scott had 16 returns for 504 yards, 31.5 per return. And Quan Cosby had 40 punt returns for 474 yards, 11.4 average. Aka the human fair catch machine had a career low of 5.6 yards per return. and has a career average of 7.1 Pacman jones has had over 10 yards per return only 1 season in his career. Since being drafted in 2005 he has had 1 good year in returns. And that year he averaged less per kick return than Scott last year.

I hope Quan makes the team just for his special teams ability. The guy is tough as nails and did a hell of a job for us last season.

Sure, why not?

Why? Because you put yourself in the position of relying on a player who has evidenced no ability to stay on the field because he's a moron. I'd want to see a helluva workout for him to be worth the risk. If he's just a mediocre player, why not get a mediocre player who isn't a dips**t?

I don't think he has the upside you think he does, anymore.

You didn't quote my whole post, for some reason, and then read into the post things I didn't put in there.

IF he's remotely in shape, I said, it gives them an upgrade at CB. And, it would. And in a passing league, going 4-5 deep at CB is kinda essential. So, for a likely minimum incentive-laden contract, they roll the dice on a guy who has to know he is on his last chance. Other than having to listen to REALLY old stale Bengals-as-jailbirds jokes, I don't see the downside. If he can play and is in shape, he helps the team for next to nothing. If he is fat and slow and can't play, or gets another arrest, he gets cut.

I don't see the need for teeth-gnashing myself, but, then again, I've always been pretty sanguine about the moral outrage that some feel the need to have about the Bengals' off-field troubles.

If the Jets do this, after adding multi-dad Cromartie and suspended Holmes, the media creams itself about how they are "going for it". The Bengals do it and there is "oh noes!". I reject that double standard.

Worth a shot. I repeat, why not?

I can't believe we are even having this conversation. Do any of you think maybe there's a reason why 31 other NFL teams have no interest in this guy whatsoever? Do any of you remotely remember what happened the last time somebody thought they could make a reclamation project out of Jones on the cheap?

Yeah, sure, sign him. I honestly do not care anymore. I'm sure SoP has TO on speed dial. Plus I hear we're going to be working out Corey Dillon again and that we tried to trade our first and second round draft picks for Big Ben.

So long.

Greg:

That's simply factually untrue that "31 other NFL teams had no interest in him whatsoever". His former D-coordinator, the very well-respected Jim Schwarz, now the head coach of the Lions, was interested in signing him. As were at least a few others reportedly, including the Jags.

As for everyone else who hates it:

I understand why people don't like it, but it is not as simple as saying that NO ONE else wanted him. And there are scenarios where he can help this team in 2010, providing he's in shape and keeps his nose clean. I acknowledge those last two things are not a certainty, or even necessarily probable. But, for league minimum, again, why not? Other than old jokes being rehashed, I don't see the downside. If he sneezes in the wrong direction at Goodell, he's gone. They would be using him as nickel CB at best, with replacements in house if he f**ks up and gets kicked out of the league, and, perhaps he helps them.

I am not saying this is the best signing ever, just saying that there are levels on which it makes sense, and I trust Marvin and Zim to think he can help. If not, he goes.

Worth a shot.

More importantly to me, it is a signal that Marvin et al think they have a window of opportunity to make a deep playoff run, and they are trying to capitalize on it. I like that.

IF he's remotely in shape, I said, it gives them an upgrade at CB.

If he's got himself in shape, sure. Last I heard, he wasn't in fantastic shape and the teams that worked him out (including some desperate ones) passed. I'm inferring that he's not suitable shape. Could be wrong.

Other than having to listen to REALLY old stale Bengals-as-jailbirds jokes, I don't see the downside.

There are a few I can see.

Downside 1: Pacman comes in and is basically handed the nickel job based on his name. Team comes to depend on Pacman. Pacman gets arrested during the bye week. We waste reps on an important position that could be used to train up someone who won't get arrested.

Downside 2: Pacman plays concierge for our draft picks. There's sort of a critical density of fuggtards beyond which you have problems. I can't recall who said it, but some player (not on the Bengals) said that you can get away with drafting character risks as long as you surround them with high-character vets to keep them in line. That would be sort of the opposite of this move. Basically, I don't want this guy anywhere near the rookies in the same way I wouldn't let him babysit my kids.

Downside 3: Similar to #2, having too many idiots creates problems in terms of keeping the team united. See playoffs, 2005. Moves like this look good on paper but I'd think really hard before doing it. The whole concept of accumulating idiots acquired on the cheap has failed a lot for this reason. Portland in the NBA was famous for it and it always ended in a train wreck.

If the Jets do this, after adding multi-dad Cromartie and suspended Holmes, the media creams itself about how they are "going for it". The Bengals do it and there is "oh noes!". I reject that double standard.

Good comparison with the Holmes example. The difference? Holmes has proven himself to be a damned good receiver. I'd give a 5th round pick for him every day and twice on Sunday. On the other hand, Pacman hasn't played much since 2006 and has shown little ability to get in, or stay in, football shape. Why bother?

Bear in mind, Jeff Fisher and Jerry freaking Jones - who are both very player-friendly - got tired of this guy. This is not a Ced Benson situation, who basically got blackballed in Chicago thanks to Thomas Jones. This guy has had chances in very tolerant organizations.

As I mentioned earlier, if the Bengals have seen a workout that indicates he's in football shape, I'm on board. But if he's in 'Jeremy Johnson shape', forget it. My fear is that Mikey will sign him simply because he's getting a good deal on a former high-first pick.