Offensive Line Draft Talk Thread

membengal

6 hours ago, membengal said:

Just. Wow. Wow that he has to say that - much less think it.

By the way, no way that guy is getting "Bengalized". He may die, but he won't ever stop being who he is. He's so damn good. 

Agreed. I don't think Klingler or even Palmer experienced their trajectories because of organizational failings predominantly (even if that played a role). Klingler just plain sucked ass, and Palmer proved he had the mindset of a quitter. And he was always a bit turnover-prone even when he was good.

I'm not worried about that with Burrow. I'm worried about the integrity of his fucking skeletal structure.

That sound year hear is the scraping of the bottom of the barrel.

The Bengals signed G Keaton Sutherland from the practice squad to the active roster, and waived G Shaq Calhoun.

Sutherland (6-5, 315), a second-year player out of Texas A&M, originally was a college free agent signee of the Bengals in 2019. He began last season on Cincinnati's practice squad, and then signed with Miami, where he played in three games (two starts). He was waived by the Dolphins at final cuts this season, and then signed with the Bengals' practice squad on Sept. 8.

Calhoun, a second-year player out of Mississippi State, joined the Bengals on waivers from Miami on Sept. 6. He was inactive for Game 1, and an active/DNP in Games 2-3.

https://www.bengals.com/news/bengals-sign-keaton-sutherland-to-roster-waive-shaq-calhoun

• Like 1

Love how they think they can fix the RG issue (as if that's the only problem on the o-line) with these street bums.   Typical Taylor/Turner stuff. That said, I don't know what these coaches do either, now that I think about it, there's no talent and for all I know they're forced to re-sign guys like Hart, and draft WR's, TE's and RB's every year in the first 3 rounds.  

On 9/29/2020 at 12:16 PM, Wraith said:

Is it bad that every time I watch the Chiefs I have Eric Bienemy envy?

No.  That would have been a cool hire.   Chiefs are so good right now.  

I hope Zac can get this offense like that one day.    Bienemy would have been so cool (former Bengal) and I was surprised it didn't happen given Tobin's Colorado roots. 

I wouldn't let the Jags atrocious DL fool anyone into thinking this o-line is magically that much better.  I figured they'll improve, because they can't get much worse, but with all of the Jags injuries and having the fewest sacks in the league coming into the game, I'm guessing Baltimore will send us back into reality.  I just hope they can limit the hits on Burrow, really all I care about this season, let it be his extended training camp with less pressure in front of a few fans and no real stakes.  Get him connecting with WR's downfield more, as he's only 1 for 23 on passes over 20 yards in the air (not really his fault sans a few inaccurate throws, guys just aren't getting open downfield and he lacks a good pocket and protection on most of those plays).

I have no illusions that this game represented some kind of leap for the oline. That said, there were clearly better with Redmond in there, which begs the question of why they cut him in the first place. My guess is that the oline coach has no freaking clue but hey, that horse is quite dead now, no sense beating it any more.

As for Joe’s long ball game, it seems to me like a mix. Receivers are struggling to get open, yes. And when they do either they muff the catch or the throw is just a fraction off. Sometimes both. I’m not super concerned about it at this point because it’s game four, for heaven’s sake, but it does bear watching. If it turns out that Joe’s arm is best suited for a short to intermediate game, well, hey, Montana didn’t have a cannon either. As long as he stays as accurate and mistake free as he’s been, he can throw all the 7, 10, 15 yard stuff he wants.

Redmond went and got hurt in the off-season doing some wrestling/UFC stuff per Lap. Missed all of training camp. Given his past history, coaches kinda were at wits end and cut him. Redmond expected to get picked up when cut, then his phone didn''t ring. So, when Bengals went to bring him back, hope is that he buckles down now and takes this seriously and that the Bengals let him do his thing at RG where he is effective when he isn't committing awful penalties. 

• Like 1

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-week-4-pff-team-of-the-week-key-takeaways-weekly-awards-and-more

5. JONAH WILLIAMS IS TURNING OUT TO BE A BRIGHT SPOT ON THE CINCINNATI BENGALS’ POROUS OFFENSIVE LINE WHILE JOE BURROW CONTINUES TO PLAY LIKE A TOP-10 QUARTERBACK

As bad as Cincinnati's offensive line has been, one lineman is starting to hold his own: 2019 first-round pick Jonah Williams. The Alabama product didn’t play a single down last year as a rookie due to an injury. He was plugged in as the starting left tackle right away in 2020 for the Bengals and performed good, not great, in his first time seeing the field since 2018 in college; he allowed seven pressures over his first two games. 

However, Williams has performed exceptionally well in pass protection in his past two games against Philadelphia and Jacksonville, surrendering only three pressures while earning pass-blocking grades above 80.0 in each outing. In Week 4, Williams was the fifth-highest graded tackle in pass protection.

Hypothetical: 

Bengals cut every starter tomorrow.  Would you agree with the future:

Williams:  Easily has multiple claims and finds himself starting by seasons end with new team. 

Jordan: Gets claimed off wavier wire.  Doesn’t start for new team unless injury

Hopkins - becomes FA. Signed to cheap deal resigned to back up.  Maybe cut in two years; starting a cycle of journeyman

Redmond - out of football

Hart - becomes street FA.  Signed as back up.  Will be out of football shortly afterward

10 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

Hypothetical: 

Bengals cut every starter tomorrow.  Would you agree with the future:

Williams:  Easily has multiple claims and finds himself starting by seasons end with new team. 

Jordan: Gets claimed off wavier wire.  Doesn’t start for new team unless injury

Hopkins - becomes FA. Signed to cheap deal resigned to back up.  Maybe cut in two years; starting a cycle of journeyman

Redmond - out of football

Hart - becomes street FA.  Signed as back up.  Will be out of football shortly afterward

Sounds about right.  I don't know how they replace 4 guys in one off-season, or even 3, which is more likely.  Top needs in order: OG, OG, RT, DE/DT, C