Offensive Line Draft Talk Thread

membengal

5 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

So the point isn't moot then is it?   Just give the NFL coaching staff highly drafted players?

I don't know if Turner is a joke or not and the non sense is believing you can just change a coaching staff and give them guys like Hart and everything will be fine.

Thus bringing us back up to the current portion of discussing who they should draft, duh!

As I said It don't matter. As long as Turner is there. There will be no inor has there been any improvement. This line is worse than last season.  Jim turner is terrible and is known for being pure shit as a coach and human being. . Has been fired for being pure shit more than once. The man has no business having this job. Just more proof Zac is a damn idiot as well for bring Turner here. Jim couldn't coach an all pro line. Let alone.devople young players. Jim Zac and Lou are the issue. 

22 hours ago, Wraith said:

Slater is a beast.

Putting my money on Sewell though.....I seriously doubt we are going to win any of the up coming games with Ryan Finley as our starting QB especially with no Joe Mixon.

Start Sewell at LT, move Williams to RT,  with Spain at RG and you have something special brewing.

. Rashawn Slater, Northwestern

Northwestern hasn’t had a player drafted in the first three rounds since 2005. There’s a strong chance Slater ends that skid in 2021. He earned an 89.9 overall grade last season, making him the ninth-highest graded tackle in all of college football. With three years starting between right and left tackle under his belt, the experience is there, as well. While he got protected a bit in Northwestern’s offense — especially against Chase Young — Slater still fared extremely well on true pass sets this past season with an 84.9 grade. He’s got terrific balance and lateral agility that should serve him well in pass protection.

The biggest problem area for Slater projecting to the NFL may be something entirely out of his control. Listed at only 6-foot-4, Slater lacks the ideal height and length scouts covet in the NFL. That showed up in the Iowa game last year with the ease in which A.J. Epenesa got into his pads. There’s also no reason to think he couldn’t be an excellent guard though if he kicked inside.

2020 Outlook

Slater will get tested early on in the season when athletic Penn State edge rusher Jayson Oweh lines up across from him. He misses out on the loaded edge groups from Michigan and Ohio State, which is unfortunate, as Slater already proved he could dominate a lackluster slate in 2019. The Senior Bowl looks like it will be his biggest chance to boost his stock this upcoming season.

PFF's pre season tackle write up.   They were high on last year's class and think this one is a good one too.   Slater comes in at No. 6

They have Sewell No. 1 and Leatherwood No. 2

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2021-nfl-draft-preseason-offensive-tackle-rankings

Good reading.

The League is going to significantly lower the cap next season due to COVID-inspired revenue drop.

They agreed to spread this year’s shortfall over the next 3 seasons.  Assuming the normal growth of the cap, which teams take into account when signing guys to multi-year deals, next years’ cap would have been about 210 million.  That projected increase is baked into deals that guys signed last year, the year before, etc.

Instead of 210 which is what everyone planned for, it’s going to be about 186 million (it’s 198 this year).  

The effect?  Guys who you would never expect to get cut, are going to get cut.  Guys who deserve to be re-signed will not be re-signed. 

It actually aligns perfectly for a team that is desperate for capable vets at a specific position.  

There will absolutely be good veteran offensive linemen available.  We don’t have to wait for a rookie tackle or guard to develop, nor should we.  

A very elderly man in his McMansion in Indian Hill currently perusing a catalog for sock garters and ear hair trimmers may or may not notice this truly one time opportunity.

21 minutes ago, Stripes said:

I won't hold my breath for Willie, but it would be great and well-deserved.

I'm looking forward to next season when Penei Sewell tears his achilles in week 3.

Week 3? Wow, you’re an optimist all of a sudden. I’m betting rookie minicamp.

• Like 1

I’m still in the camp of sign best FA linemen you can find, frees us up to do BPA in first few rounds.  BPA is a strategy that has worked for the Bengals.  Backing ourselves into a corner and being forced to pick for position is what got us Ougbuehi and Fisher.

6 hours ago, membengal said:

Raw and inexperienced is the absolute opposite of the book on Sewell.

well, he's only played 2 years of college, the junior year sadly lost to COVID whereas many players lost their SENIOR year only or only part of a year. 

He also missed 7 games of his freshman year due to injury

so really, he's played 1.5-ish years of college ball

thats what I mean by inexperienced

given his many accolades, he may well still be the best player we can select with pick 1.3 through 1.5 -- but I think the Bengals should do a lot of homework on this guy before selecting him

Yes, I want linemen......but I want the right ones.  His size, speed, and other physical attributes are all awesome, but those arent the everything of what it takes to be a starter, much less a HoF player.  Bodine could lift a car,,,,,,,but he couldnt play football. well, not well.  Etc Etc.

I wonder when we can bring him in for a looksee?  He's not playing NCAA football right now and has a lot of free time

If I am on the FO -- and yeah, I know their rep isnt very good  --- I want to know with as near certainty as possible that this guy will (at minimum) start and play well IMMEDIATELY at one of the two tackle spots, hopefully at ORT so that Williams isnt moved inside or ORT himself

Leatherwood is generally considered a “safe” player to take.     He rarely gets beat the knock on him is that he doesn’t have the crushing blocks on film you expect given his natural talent level. 

Leatherwood is in the same mode as Jonah Williams, obviously the Alabama link but like Williams he has been the No. 1 tackle of his class since high school which includes some already 1st NFL picks.  

So there’s something to say about a kid that’s delivered on high expectations. 

But there is also Alabama to worry about because a lot of their players need an “off” year it seems to recover from the grind that is Alabama. 

Mem:  I get what you're saying here and have read many superlatives from many sources about Sewell......but can you address the specific point of his experience or lack thereof?

Let me also explain why I focus on this: the guy we pick in r1 has to be an immediate starter, day 1, and those that lack experience often need time to get ready. 

Trust me, I am 100% aware that he checks all of the "physical attributes" boxes and then some....you will get no argument from me on any of that

I also like the photo of him as a kid with a Bengals helmet :-)

We should NOT pass on a potential HoF talent on the off-chance he won't somehow be ready day 1. Period.

As for not playing this year, I promise you he's spent the entire year getting ready for his NFL career. Pull up ANY footgage or film of his 2019 at Oregon and you will be chill. It was widely noted that he would have been OT #1 if he had been allowed to be in last year's draft - a draft that was deep in OTs.  He's unreal in skill set. Quick feet, massive, never off-balance. He's a lock All-pro at either T position, but I would put him at LT and move Jonah to RT and call it a day for a decade. 

Read this:

How good is Penei Sewell, really? 3 former Oregon Ducks offensive linemen and an NFL scout examine his potential greatness (msn.com)

Ive now read the article you linked, and I will keep reading about Sewell over the months prior to the draft.

Let me be very clear, since I tend to piss you off at times with perceived disagreements: I like this guy.  I REALLY like this guy.  He is one hell of a lineman, and If you know one thing about me, it has to be that I love me some linemen.

All that said, for right now the "experience" checkbox is unchecked...I am not sure why you said "Raw and inexperienced is the absolute opposite of the book on Sewell." and I hope you explain that at some point.  My understanding right now is ~1.5 years of college ball.

I also dont know if moving Williams to ORT so Sewell can play OLT is the best move.  I want the best combo for the longest period of time.  If Williams gets pissed over a perceived "demotion" to ORT, will he stay or leave?  I know Williams played his freshman and sophomore years at ORT, so he CAN do it, so there's that.  Is it possible having Sewell at ORT and keeping Williams at OLT would be the best combo?  Lots of questions I want to explore

I think the only thing I disagree with you about (and only partly disagree, btw) is "We should NOT pass on a potential HoF talent on the off-chance he won't somehow be ready day 1. Period."  I want hall of fame players as well.  I do, really, I dont know why any Bengals fan wouldnt, so credit me that at least.  However, and this is the specific spot I break from you, the above statement tosses aside the now entirely and solely embraces the future.  Me, I want my (and your) future HOF QB protected N O W.  If Sewell can do that and do it well from day 1 better than all the others, and the allocation of OLT and ORT is amicably worked out between Williams and Sewell, I am with you 100%.  No, a thousand percent.

Here's a question: could we trade down a spot or two and still nab him? 

Same question as above, but then let's assume Jacksonville somehow manages to win 2 games and we pick second

Um, he's ready now. From day 1. You have latched onto the one thing that could be described as a question and are using it to advocate passing on him. That's...weird. It would be like not having wanted Burrow because he only played two seasons with one transcendant. If THAT is the only thing that can be pointed to, well, then it isn't a thing. That article quoting former offensive lineman gushing over his footwork, his balance, and his speed are all anyone should need. 

If they can trade down to 5 and get him, fine. But make no mistake, if Burrow's injury put them into position to get him and they pass on him, that will be as dumb as I have ever seen from this franchise. He's that good. 

I get your point, and I appreciate not only that you are chatting with me on Thanksgiving afternoon but we're talking two of my favorite subjects: OL, and the draft

so you have my thanks on Thanksgiving, my brutha from another mother

Its interesting that you brought up our conversation about Burrow before this past draft......yes, I had similar "experience" concerns as well as a slight arm strength concern.  You were absolutely right about Burrow and I am damned glad we drafted him.  I honestly see Burrow as the next (or one of the next) superstars at the QB position....another Manning (P not E),  Rodgers, or dare I say Brady)and I hope and pray that if we draft Sewell, he is of similar quality and production at his OT regardless of whether it is ORT or OLT.  I dont think there is any harm in doing due diligence on this aspect of Sewell, and I'd say the same thing in any year and with any candidate.  You dont know what you got til you put them on the field. 

AFAIK Washington and the Chargers need help at OLT, and they draft pretty high so I'd guess we couldn't slide down below either of those two.  If Jacksonville won 2 games (Jets are going winless, I am sure of it) and we select second that'd be perfect, as there is a QB who many teams want even with Trevor Lawrence off the board, and teams definitely trade up for THE qb they feel will become the franchise.

You've made it clear how you feel about Sewell, but if we could turn the pick into the second best OT (whoever you think that is atm) plus 4-5 day 2 picks this year and/or next.....would you at least consider it?  I ask because I take it as assumed that while it'd be better to trade down 1-2 spots and still get Sewell, this other scenario will be facing the Bengals FO on and before draft day, especially if we rise to selection number 2.  Plus we need a lot more than just one guy.  Even if that guy will be a future HOFer.