Round 1 (18): Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia

2 minutes ago, volcom69 said:

Taking another injury prone player I like him, but man I just hope the guy can stay healthy

Still would have liked the guard.

So maybe another 1st round pick that won’t see the field, it seems to be this way every year.

I mean, he’ll be behind Trent so chances he’ll see the field are good. He just won’t have to start day 1 which is good.

Just now, HoosierCat said:

I mean, he’ll be behind Trent so chances he’ll see the field are good. He just won’t have to start day 1 which is good.

I just hope he can stay healthy I don’t hate the pick at all, just hope he can stay healthy and is the future tackle

I'm always iffy on the "developmental" type OL picks, because I don't entirely trust the Bengals to, well, develop.

But it's good that Trent Brown exists and will allow Mims to learn and grow before being thrown hopelessly into some game against Myles Garrett. The situation should be good for him.

I understand the pick because every tackle after this year except OBJ is a FA.  Jonah Williams and Jason Taylor's of the world are grabbing multiple year deals $15m+.   But this guy was a hard pass for me at 18 and then of course the Steelers take the guy rated higher than him.

Hope it works but it screams tackle bust.   But they'll need tackles and unless you want to spend $15-$20m of cap room on average starter this is the only route.

Now that I’ve read a bunch of stuff and watched that video, I’m even more excited about Mims. 

His coaches said he would go weeks and weeks in practice at Georgia and never once get beat one on one pass blocking.  His physical tools are almost unique even in the nfl.  

He had ankle tightrope surgery.  A new and better way to treat and stabilize an injured ankle .  Brock Bowers had it.  Tua had it.  They used to put in two screws and go in later and remove them.  Long recovery.  The new method is a big step forward and hopefully Mims’ ankle problems are over.

• Like 1

There’s no questioning his talent and ability. When he was on the field he was dominant. It’s just the “on the field” part that’s an issue. If he can stay healthy, I believe that with the usual amount of seasoning, he’ll be a pro bowl-caliber player.

OT's go - Alt, Latham, Fashanu, and Fuaga.

I made the comment before about it's not about whether we think the next OT is the 5th, 6th or whatever ranked OT, but whether the Bengals had them ranked that way.  With Latu, Murphy and Turner all going off the board at 15-17, the Bengals options were dwindling.

So then you go to the next question I always like to ask...  Who else was on the board?
Verse and Fautanu were the next two to go and I didn't really think much of either of them for our team.
The next three were interesting in seeing Mitchell, Thomas and Arnold all come off the board.

I never thought they would really go CB in the first round when considering the roster, which left Thomas, who I had mentioned previously.  When they went on the clock, I guessed they were between Mims and Thomas, with Mims, being the one they probably had ranked higher and filled a need.

Considering all that, I still love the pick.  I wouldn't have minded Thomas in that spot, but really like Mims and again, there's no expectation for him to come in and start day one.  Get him in the program, get stronger, learn and get ready.

Not a fan of grades right away, but all things considered, this is an A- to me.  Solid A without previous injury concerns.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

this is an A- to me.  Solid A without previous injury concerns.

Some dude on nfl network made the point - without the injury last season the bengals have no chance at Mims.  If he’d put a whole season together, as dominant as he was playing, he’d have gone way earlier.  All my faith lies in ankle tightrope surgery.

• Like 1

I give the pick a C.   Taking the 5th tackle over the 1st CB or pass rusher, DT.    The reality is he hasn't played as a 5 star lineman.  He was ranked right behind JC Latham out of highschool.    You can't fault them for taking RT given the fact it has been a rotating FA visit and this year had Becton at Ruby's.   With all tackles except OBJ being FAs next offseason you know they were taking a OT at some point.

However,  where did they really have him ranked?  We'll never know but it seems like they got backed into a corner.

You make a mistake with a OT pick, like Carman, there's very little you can do with them.    5th tackle over 1st CB 3rd DE, 2nd pass rushing DT?  questionable.  Even if those CBs, DTs, DEs never become good enough to start at any point in their career.  There is always reps to be had. 

Hopefully he's a freak and puts all the concerns to rest.   Just got to wonder why this kid was kept on the bench outside of injury.   JC Latham had 27 starts, I think and there's always stud lineman there too.

Hearing Zac and Pitcher speak last night, it sounds like they did due diligence with each of the top rated OT's in the class and really liked how Mims is going to fit on the team and in the o-line room.  I think it speaks a lot to Zac and I'm willing to not knock this, because he has added solid players to this roster that fit what they are doing and the culture he has built here.

It also sounds like they were surprised to get him at #18, which I would guess means they had him ranked fairly high regardless.

He addressed the other really good defensive players on the board and said that Duke Tobin and the team do a great job of setting their draft board and don't scramble things around at the last minute.  Again, it sounds to me like they had Mims rated really high and knew he would be a good fit.  They clearly didn't see things in regards to ranking these players the same way fans and the media did.  This shouldn't be a surprise and why I have mentioned it many times.

If there's reason to be concerned about this pick for me, it's less with Mims and more with Pollack.

I will endeavor to curb my negative feelings on this pick

I am Mr Lineman,  Gimme a Lineman guy.  Luv'em.

and I absolutely wanted an ORT with this pick.

...however...

there was exactly one guy i wanted no part of at 18

and yeah, here he is

I love his athleticism, size, and the fact that his snaps - what few they were - came at ORT

I hope and pray he is the new Big Willy.

But I am expecting the new Ogbuehi, only less productive and more oft injured

I think they need to draft another ORT with one of their day 2 picks

That said, when Alt went unexpectedly at 5, and then the Titans (who wanted Alt) took Latham, I knew things werent going to go well at OT, and I truly expected them to go with one of the DTs, which wouldnt have been optimal from my point of view but would have been better than Mims

It twists the knife in me just a little bit more that the Rapistburgers took the next best option at OT two picks later

Yes Army. 

Love the measurables that were taken

but thats about all he has going for him, imo, but also please note the most important OL measurements were not taken at all....short area quicks

related aside: I'd like to them stop recording 40 times for OL.  I mean, long runs by OLs are virtually nonexistent.  I want to know how long it takes for the OL to get to the other side of the telephone booth, not the other side of the field