Round 1 (18): Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia

Yeah, at this point I would say that barring some unpleasant surprise, the Browns, Trent and Orlando, Volson, Karras, Cappa and Mims are locks for the final roster. After that we got:

C: Trey Hill, Nate Gilliam, Matt Lee

G: Cody Ford, Jason Kirkland

T: Jackson Carmen, Devon Cochran, D'Ante Smith

Ford and Smith get you to 8. Does Carmen stick? I think they see him more of a guard and none of the centers seem like potential backups there, so having a swing guy would be useful. How many do they keep? Especially since they are now going RB by committee and have like 57 TEs in the house now. Going to be a very interesting group to watch this spring and summer.

Carman or Smith or both will either be gone or Taxi Squad'ed this year

Id like to see them pick up a veteran backup OG, even if thats Scharping

I am hoping Gilliam or Lee beat out No Knees hill for the backup OC spot

Best case scenario at T for us is that Mims stays healthy all year and is starting at ORT by season midpoint, with Trent Brown then switching places with him and becoming the Swing tackle

God, I'm really trying to stay upbeat about all this.  I have never been less interested in camp.

Since this is a Mims thread, did anyone catch his news conference?
Dude, just steady smiling and a booming deep voice.  Makes you want to like him personally.

1 hour ago, HoosierCat said:

Yeah, at this point I would say that barring some unpleasant surprise, the Browns, Trent and Orlando, Volson, Karras, Cappa and Mims are locks for the final roster. After that we got:

C: Trey Hill, Nate Gilliam, Matt Lee

G: Cody Ford, Jason Kirkland

T: Jackson Carmen, Devon Cochran, D'Ante Smith

Ford and Smith get you to 8. Does Carmen stick? I think they see him more of a guard and none of the centers seem like potential backups there, so having a swing guy would be useful. How many do they keep? Especially since they are now going RB by committee and have like 57 TEs in the house now. Going to be a very interesting group to watch this spring and summer.

Carmen or Smith will have to beat out Ford at tackle.  I doubt they will but they did cut loose Adeniji which was the primary player off the bench 2022 year.  Then whoever loses out will have to make a living at Guard which both Carmen and Ford have experience.      

I think they'll keep 2 Centers.  To keep all 3 will involve Practice squad. 

I believe it will be 10 total. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

God, I'm really trying to stay upbeat about all this.  I have never been less interested in camp.

Since this is a Mims thread, did anyone catch his news conference?
Dude, just steady smiling and a booming deep voice.  Makes you want to like him personally.

Bengals are easily one of the best rosters entering the draft.   If you go back to first off season discussions there was not a whole lot of room for rookie coming in and playing.  Its possible but it would be through injury or flat out beating someone out.   The latter case is a good situation to have.

It makes your point of trading up more valid but they didn't.   Maybe they should have for a safer RT prospect?

Dehner's early thoughts on the OL roster battle:

Starters: LT Orlando Brown Jr., LG Cordell Volson, C Ted Karras, RG Alex Cappa, RT Trent Brown

Backups: OT Amarius Mims (1st), OL Cody Ford, IOL Matt Lee (7th), OL Jackson Carman

Outside the 53: IOL Trey Hill, OT D’Ante Smith, G Jaxson Kirkland, IOL Nate Gilliam, OT Devin Cochran

Analysis: Look for the offseason and preseason to be all about loading up Mims with reps. The only thing he lacks is game experience so expect the Bengals to give him just that. If he dominates and impresses, there is certainly a world where he beats out Trent Brown as the starter on opening day. More than likely, they’d prefer to run the veteran out there early, but Brown also needs to arrive to the opener healthy.

The interior depth chart is anybody’s guess. Karras, 30, comes away a winner from this draft as the Bengals balked at picking a potential replacement for him in 2025. It wouldn’t be surprising to see another year added to his deal considering how effective, beloved and integral he’s become to the entire franchise. The embattled 2021 line class of Carman, Smith and Hill will all be fighting for jobs with challengers everywhere.

With even a few more undrafted free agents expected to enter the equation, everything beyond the top seven here looks like a battle royale for two or three spots.

https://theathletic.com/5455756/2024/04/29/bengals-post-draft-roster-reset-offense/

Yes, please extend Karras for at least another season and do that NOW.

My dream scenario is that some team decides to move in another direction with a player and we can swoop in and make a nice pick up.  Who that would be, I have no idea, but an IOL would be nice.

Speaking of all that, I am curious where their cap number is at this point?

• Like 1

according to https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/cincinnati-bengals

we have 23M available, and thats including the tag on Higgins

(related aside: havent spoken about this much, but I love TEEEEEEEEE and do want him extended before the deadline)

Rookie pool is about 11M according to https://overthecap.com/draft

The "underpaid" Hendrickson has a cap number of about 20M.

Interesting nugget out of KC.

The Bengals reportedly snagged the first-round talent Kansas City wanted before taking wide receiver Xavier Worthy with the 28th pick.

The Athletic's Nate Taylor reports the Chiefs originally targeted Amarius Mims.

"Midway through the first round, (Brett) Veach and (Mike) Borgonzi began calling teams to find a trade partner that would allow them to move up more than 10 spots," Taylor wrote. "The first prospect the Chiefs targeted was Amarius Mims, the tackle from Georgia. Although Mims played right tackle in college, many teams believed he had the talent to be a starting left tackle. The Cincinnati Bengals selected Mims with the 18th pick."

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/report-kansas-city-chiefs-wanted-to-trade-up-for-cincinnati-bengals-amarius-mims

So we signed Orlando Brown Jr away from them, then we drafted the tackle they wanted?  Sorry KC!  I guess they’ll just have to console themselves with their consolation prizes, their Super Bowl wins.

KC tackles suck.   They basically hold and line up in the backfield and dare the ref to call it every play it happens.    The lining up in the backfield was called some on them during the year.   I think holding got called in the regular season but not 1 call in the Superbowl.

Goes without saying P. Mahomes greatness in the playoffs covers up a lot of bad personnel decisions.  Because their WRs haven't been great.   

If they would have gotten beaten by the Bengals in 2022 and by whoever in 2023 in the playoffs it be a completely different view on their front office.    But they caught the Bengals with 3 major line injuries, a few bad luck and missed calls.    Then next year they whoop Buffalo as usual and Lamar Chokes.