Week 6: Seahawks @ Bengals Game Thread

HoosierCat

If the o-line gives Burrow time I can see him doing just fine, but we just saw the Seahawks get 11 sacks against the Giants. Just give Joe sometime!

Defense is what I worry about, they turned it around yesterday after the Bengals offense gave them a big enough lead. Hopefully they continue to grow as a unit and stop missing tackles!

3-3 would be huge at this point 

2 hours ago, volcom69 said:

If the o-line gives Burrow time I can see him doing just fine, but we just saw the Seahawks get 11 sacks against the Giants. Just give Joe sometime!

Defense is what I worry about, they turned it around yesterday after the Bengals offense gave them a big enough lead. Hopefully they continue to grow as a unit and stop missing tackles!

3-3 would be huge at this point 

I think some of that is on Lou. They need to play more aggressively whether they have the lead or not. And yeah, tackling needs to be an emphasis this week.

D-line not getting off blocks makes bad tackling get even worse.   Caskey predicted teams would try to exploit what the Titans put on film and it looks like he's right.

Bengals offense will need to put scoring pressure on the Seattle play callers.   If it gets to a point were Seattle can just pound away then the Bengals D will give up rushing yards.

Don't care how bad Giants line is or isn't.   The 2/3 sack game is becoming the norm with Bengals line.   At this point its unacceptable.  

2 sacks a game would equate to 36 on the season. That more than acceptable in my book. Burrow has taken a fuck ton more than that in a season.

Currently his sack total is at 11 which is middle of the pack in the league. He took 41 last year. 51 the year before.

That being said, I would prefer to not see him get touched, let alone picking himself up off the ground. Make that shit happen o-line.

Its possible to have an explosive offense with 36 sacks, but given who they have up front,  it'd be nice to have a week with 0.  Feels like they are under performing especially at LG and RG.   Alexander threw up multiple sub 30 sack years.   Everyone hated him,  now 36 is acceptable.

1 hour ago, AMPHAR said:

Its possible to have an explosive offense with 36 sacks, but given who they have up front,  it'd be nice to have a week with 0.  Feels like they are under performing especially at LG and RG.   Alexander threw up multiple sub 30 sack years.   Everyone hated him,  now 36 is acceptable.

I know people will hate this but I still feel like Paul Alexander back in the day is much better then Pollack has been. Somehow they keep getting guys to upgrade this o-line, and they are still mediocre at best. The guys they bring in who have had great years with other teams come in and struggle. Not sure if it’s there scheme they run here or what, but what a struggle to find guys to protect Burrow.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

FWIW the Bengals are currently tied for 12th in the league in fewest sacks allowed per game. So not stellar, but they are above average, and that’s something given that Joe has had the mobility of a rock the first few weeks.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/qb-sacked-per-game

14 hours ago, volcom69 said:

I know people will hate this but I still feel like Paul Alexander back in the day is much better then Pollack has been. Somehow they keep getting guys to upgrade this o-line, and they are still mediocre at best. The guys they bring in who have had great years with other teams come in and struggle. Not sure if it’s there scheme they run here or what, but what a struggle to find guys to protect Burrow.

Way better.   Alexander had multiple years allowing under 2 sack average.      Pollack's line the way they are playing is going to get sniped for 5/6 sacks in a game eventually this year.  

It is a different era.  Way better d ends.  It is just damn hard to find competent tackles anymore given what they are facing, and the emphasis on passing.  We are just one of many teams who struggle to find better o line play, but we are demonstrably better.  

As far as any effort to rehabilitate Paul Alrxander’s reputation, keep trying.  Dude sucked.  Couldn’t evaluate talent at all.  He’s so good that the cowboys hired him as their o-line coach and he lasted exactly one season.  Hasn’t been an o-line coach since, and this is a league dying for competent o-line coaching.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, COB said:

It is a different era.  Way better d ends.  It is just damn hard to find competent tackles anymore given what they are facing, and the emphasis on passing.  We are just one of many teams who struggle to find better o line play, but we are demonstrably better.  

As far as any effort to rehabilitate Paul Alrxander’s reputation, keep trying.  Dude sucked.  Couldn’t evaluate talent at all.  He’s so good that the cowboys hired him as their o-line coach and he lasted exactly one season.  Hasn’t been an o-line coach since, and this is a league dying for competent o-line coaching.  

Joe Burrow is dying for competent o-line coaching.

We have the 2nd worst rushing yards per game in the league.  3rd worst in total yardage. Only 1 rushing TD in 5 games.

I'm good with what Mixon brings, but there doesn't appear to be much of a complement for him or they simply aren't making one a priority.
How does Chase Brown have the same amount of rushing attempt as QB Jake Browning?
Williams and Evans only have 7 carries combined, while Mixon is sitting on 84.

I don't have any issue and expect Mixon to have the bulk of the carries, but if all you are producing is 2nd worst in the league, maybe giving the others more than 8 carries combined might result in something different they bring to the table.  I'm sure the o-line plays a part in opening running lanes for them to take advantage of, but they only run nearly half the rushing plays as passing plays.  Is the o-line really THAT much worse at run blocking than pass blocking?  I'm too lazy to go look up any stat which may or may not support such views.

Any one watching the 49er's / Cowboys game the other night could see how the 49er's use the run to set up the pass.
Purdy sure does excel in that situation.  They have 173 rushing attempts to only 137 passing attempts.
Not saying we should do that when we have Burrow, but increasing the running workload would be helpful from my perspective.

Yeah, they’re 31st in rushing yards, which sucks. But they were 29th in rushing yards last season and went 12-4 so…

In Zac’s case I think it’s just a play calling/philosophy thing. He’s an ex-QB who has completely bought into the whole “it’s a passing league” mantra. And it’s the passing that’s failed this year because of the calf.

I get that and it's kind of the point to why not get others involved in the running game.
Damn near everyone here has said, while watching the games, the offense looks vanilla and it's just not working.
Early on in the Cardinals game, they showed a graphic pointing out where Burrow was making his throws from (the pocket) and where the throws are being distributed (mid point throws) which, until that game, rarely went downfield.  They pointed out that's why defenses were able to figure out what the Bengals game plan was.  I thought that was pretty telling.  They could have put more and more time into developing that game plan and results probably weren't going to change much.

So after watching last Sundays game, you want to take the ball out of Burrow’s hands and give it to Charlie Jones?

I get it, they might be more effective of an offense overall if they got the run game and additional sets of legs more involved. But I also think you can look at the above sentence and see exactly why that’s a tough sell.

If I had more confidence in our head coach and OC as playcallers I might go for it. As is, I’m reluctant.

• Like 1

Oh I don’t disagree when thinking of who we have, but doing exactly that might just help everyone in running more.

It’s just more conversational than anything. I don’t know what the outcome would be and it might be worse. It’s just always been true that the run sets up the pass and softens defenses. That excites me personally. 

• Like 1

Final injury report:

Bengals wide receiver Tee Higgins and cornerback Chidobe Awuzie (back) are officially questionable for Sunday's game against the Seahawks. 

Higgins practiced all week and was a full participant on Friday. Awuzie was limited on Thursday and Friday. 

Linebacker Akeem Davis-Gaither (knee) is out. Josh Tupou (toe) and Devin Harper (hamstring) are both questionable.

Myles Murphy is expected to be back with the team and play on Sunday after being out for personal reasons on Thursday and Friday.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/bengals-release-official-game-status-report-week-6-seahawks

• HoosierCat changed the title to Week 6: Seahawks @ Bengals Game Thread