Training Camp and Preseason Thread 2023 - News and Obs

membengal

15 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Media day for Mike! From baby:

Bengals president Mike Brown: “We have some good players that need to fed. That’s a challenge.” Equates it to a bag of corn to feed hogs and said there’s only so much corn to go around.

https://www.threads.net/t/CvFf3ZLLsjO/?igshid=NTc4MTIwNjQ2YQ==

lololol

Now we have someone upset in the comments because he used the word "hogs" to make his analogy.
Jesus... if hogs was the worst word I have been called in my life, I would consider that a huge win.

That aside, it goes back to that saying of, "You can't pay everyone".
For anyone not following, the team has already experienced this.
Jessie Bates, Vonn Bell, Hayden Hurst and Samaje Perrine all left this year alone.

Every team (especially the good ones) goes through this.  Our Bengals will be no exception.
Honestly though, we haven't had players of this caliber, needing market setting deals in some time.
I will be curiously waiting to see how the team handles it moving forward.  God knows their philosophy has already changed dramatically.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

Now we have someone upset in the comments because he used the word "hogs" to make his analogy.
Jesus... if hogs was the worst word I have been called in my life, I would consider that a huge win.

That aside, it goes back to that saying of, "You can't pay everyone".
For anyone not following, the team has already experienced this.
Jessie Bates, Vonn Bell, Hayden Hurst and Samaje Perrine all left this year alone.

Every team (especially the good ones) goes through this.  Our Bengals will be no exception.
Honestly though, we haven't had players of this caliber, needing market setting deals in some time.
I will be curiously waiting to see how the team handles it moving forward.  God knows their philosophy has already changed dramatically.

Alternatives:

Only so many miles in the Lumina’s gas tank.

Only so many rounds you can hover before the battery is out of juice.

Only so many ditches you can get the oxcart stuck in.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Alternatives:

Only so many miles in the Lumina’s gas tank.

Only so many rounds you can hover before the battery is out of juice.

Only so many ditches you can get the oxcart stuck in.

Only so many bottles of Gatorade you can hand out for free.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Media day for Mike! From baby:

Bengals president Mike Brown: “We have some good players that need to fed. That’s a challenge.” Equates it to a bag of corn to feed hogs and said there’s only so much corn to go around.

https://www.threads.net/t/CvFf3ZLLsjO/?igshid=NTc4MTIwNjQ2YQ==

lololol

Incredibly inartful phrasing by Mike there.  

If possible, it would be helpful if Mike were to somehow take an even further step back from day to day operations.  And take about ten steps back from the next microphone he sees.  

• Haha 1

Little nugget in Trags’ media day wrap up re Collins and Chido. While both start on PUP, Chido is expected to be a short-term situation, while Collins is a more long-term situation. Nothing we didn’t expect but good to hear Chido should be back soon.

There is a whole thread on a Ravens forum dedicated to Mike Brown calling players hogs.

Really?  That's what's stirring up the football world at this point.  An analogy?
Are the players upset? Are they threatening a hold out over this?  Or are they getting ready for another Super Bowl run?
But hey, lets continue the narrative of Mike Brown being cheap as a way of explaining the analogy he used.
That sounds like a good use of time.

39 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

The only good SoaG is an entirely silent and entirely absent SoaG

Well, in the .com story he’s basically all “I’m gonna die soon” so…

But he's disappointed he won't go to next month's Pro Football Hall of Fame induction in Canton, Ohio, celebrating Bengals Ring of Honor member Ken Riley. He calls the late Riley, "a friend," and is sad his friend is not alive to see it. It's a long, hot day in Tom Benson Stadium.

"I don't travel well anymore," Brown said. "I don't fly well. I don't bus well. My family is all going up by bus together (to Canton) and we will be fully represented."

His personal goal is to make every game he can. Eight days after he turns 88, the first one on the road is in Atlanta.

"That's the one thing that I want to give up last," Brown said of the road games. "As long as I can get up the steps to the aircraft, I'm going."

The AFC North doesn't display the incompetence you see in the AFC West.   No team in the North has won it 3 times in row, meanwhile KC is on a 7 year run with a record of 31-5.     

We'll see who plays and who doesn't in the preseason, but I'm confident who ever wins the RT job won't do it off 2 practices like last year.

If the AFC West doesn't get its act together then in reality you can't afford more than 2 division losses because KC won't have more than 1, if that.   The saving grace is the AFC East appears tougher so maybe the Bengals can host a division round.    Its going to be a fight to win the North 3 times in a row.  There's been some monster Bengal, Raven and Steeler teams from the past that couldn't do it.

Schefter:

Sources: Justin Herbert’s five-year extension includes $133.7 million fully guaranteed, $193.7 million with the injury guarantee and springing potentially to $218.7 million guaranteed.

https://www.threads.net/@adamschefter/post/CvI3R2op7Yv/?igshid=NTc4MTIwNjQ2YQ==

They will obviously being paying Joe more than Herbert and Joe is saying they think they will be able to keep everyone.
I am VERY interested to see how they are going to structure his deal to make that happen.
I don't have a reason to doubt him, but his confidence in this matter intrigues me greatly.

Make it happen front office !!!