Training Camp and Preseason Thread 2023 - News and Obs

membengal

40 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

They will obviously being paying Joe more than Herbert and Joe is saying they think they will be able to keep everyone.
I am VERY interested to see how they are going to structure his deal to make that happen.
I don't have a reason to doubt him, but his confidence in this matter intrigues me greatly.

Make it happen front office !!!

The Bengals pointed to Mahomes’ deal with its rolling guarantees a while back so I expect it will look a lot like that.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/07/09/patrick-mahomes-explaining-guarantee-mechanisms

Basically this structure provides confidence to Burrow that he will actually get paid (because they would have to pay an astronomical sum to get out of it early and he would be a FA on top of that) while getting the Bengals out of the guaranteed money escrow trap (where thy would have to pony up nearly all the guaranteed coin at once).

8 hours ago, Stripes said:

I don’t believe it (assuming “everyone” includes Boyd), but whatever I love the spirit of it.

Yeah, kind of where I'm at.  "Everyone" certainly has to have a limit.

I think Boyd is on the wrong side of that limit.  The Charlie Jones pick is their stab to cover that loss.
He will be 29 toward the beginning of next season and still have at least another 3 year deal to expect.
It wouldn't surprise me to see his contract exceed his last 4 year deal despite closing in on 30.

Couple that with massive deals for both Higgins and Chase and it gets dicey at the WR position.
Maybe I'm looking at it wrong and they find a way.  God knows that would not upset me a bit.
Tyler Boyd is a Cincinnati Bengal through and through.  Love that dude.

• Like 1

If you are any competent agent you don't let Joe Burrow touch a practice field without a new deal.   Joe is set to make $5.5 in cash this year.  Another $29m next.     Even if they keep him in line with the recent QB deals he's looking at $80m or more in his pocket this year.

Considering there has been no mention of hold outs or media games.  I take it this extension is coming soon. 

Look at what AJ Green lost going up to that Dayton practice.   I'm sorry, can't be on the field without a new deal IF I was that agent. 

Keeping Joe on top is going to involve finding pieces to fill in around him.    If you look at Big Ben, he started out as game manager, then had Plexico, Ward, Randel El, then morphed into AB, Bell.   That key rush LB spot the Steelers have had for decades has featured a number of All-Pros, Pro bowler types during Ben's run.

Guys get paid; move on.  Get injured.  Get worn down.  Whatever.    To keep Joe a constant in the Division round which seems like where HOF QBs live; Tobin will have to do the same.

45 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

If you are any competent agent you don't let Joe Burrow touch a practice field without a new deal.   Joe is set to make $5.5 in cash this year.  Another $29m next.     Even if they keep him in line with the recent QB deals he's looking at $80m or more in his pocket this year.

Considering there has been no mention of hold outs or media games.  I take it this extension is coming soon. 

Look at what AJ Green lost going up to that Dayton practice.   I'm sorry, can't be on the field without a new deal IF I was that agent. 

Yeah, that’s a valid point. Neither side has any reason to delay any longer. Honestly this should be done, like, today. If there isn’t an announcement by Friday I’ll be surprised.