Summer chatter leading up to training camp 2023

membengal

They telegraphed this about 5 different ways so I doubt anyone in here is surprised.  What I think is very surprising is that it was done before Burrow’s extension.

They kind of also telegraphed the message that it was Burrow first then everything else gets done.  Not in Mixon’s case!

I can’t tell you how happy I am to see this happen. This is yet another departure from how this front office has always operated in the past. I love that the Bengals are known for their loyalty to players, but when that is to the detriment of the team, I’m not sure that is something to love anymore.

Nothing personal against Mixon and I will be rooting for him just as much this year as any other, but this needed to happen.

Yes, looking forward to the specifics.

• Thanks 1

“Mixon was scheduled to make more than $10 million this season and had a $12.8 million cap hit. The 26-year-old agreed to a significant pay cut. Mixon will make just under $6 million in base salary and could make up to $8 million with incentives according to Pro Football Talk.”

14 hours ago, COB said:

They telegraphed this about 5 different ways so I doubt anyone in here is surprised.  What I think is very surprising is that it was done before Burrow’s extension.

They kind of also telegraphed the message that it was Burrow first then everything else gets done.  Not in Mixon’s case!

Actually, I think Mixon taking a pay cut sequentially had to go first as an accounting maneuver to get ready for Burrow’s extension.

Mixon in all likely hood read the tea leaves and realized he probably could get the full $10.1 this year and nothing next ($20.4m left on his deal) or get something greater than sum these next 2 years vs gambling on the open market next March.  It sounds like this deal increases the chance of him avoiding being a cap cut next year.

One of the websites I take a look at leading up to the draft is The Draft Network (I believe others here do as well).

Anyway, I popped back over there this morning simply because things were slow and I look in from time to time.
I glanced at their final consensus of the top 100 players heading into the 2023 draft.  I was a little surprised.

Myles Murphy is #7 overall.
DJ Turner is #30 overall.
Jordan Battle is #34 overall.

While understanding these guys aren't working for an NFL organization, a few of them have done college recruiting that work through their drafts.
Aside from TDN in general, I am still really happy when looking back at the Bengals draft haul for the defensive side of the ball.
Adding additional pieces on the offensive side of the ball and a shiny new punter and this will be an interesting camp this year.

While I don't expect these guys to step into starting roles, I think there might be some guys who lose their spot on the depth chart.

1 hour ago, ArmyBengal said:

One of the websites I take a look at leading up to the draft is The Draft Network (I believe others here do as well).

Anyway, I popped back over there this morning simply because things were slow and I look in from time to time.
I glanced at their final consensus of the top 100 players heading into the 2023 draft.  I was a little surprised.

Myles Murphy is #7 overall.
DJ Turner is #30 overall.
Jordan Battle is #34 overall.

While understanding these guys aren't working for an NFL organization, a few of them have done college recruiting that work through their drafts.
Aside from TDN in general, I am still really happy when looking back at the Bengals draft haul for the defensive side of the ball.
Adding additional pieces on the offensive side of the ball and a shiny new punter and this will be an interesting camp this year.

While I don't expect these guys to step into starting roles, I think there might be some guys who lose their spot on the depth chart.

I expect CTB to take another step this year and become a high-quality starter, and Turner has a lot in common with him. I feel really good about the cornerback room right now, and we're better positioned this time if someone gets hurt again. The Battle pick has looked better every day since it was made too, because even if the safety "weakness" actually is a "weakness", he is such critical insurance to increase the odds of getting someone out there that can play.

If Murphy plays like a first rounder in the rotation, Lou is going to have a hell of an arsenal out there.

Even if the Bengals returned the entire secondary it would have been hard to repeat the improvements from 2020>2021>2022.   I think in the longer view the secondary has more athleticism and they solved some future roster problems beyond 2023 in exchange for experience.    How this secondary comes together is a critical piece along with development of 3 d-line rotation pieces.   Ossia, Murphy, and Cater.   It would not be a shock if they allow more yards and points per game vs 2022.  

In the end its probably the offense that is going to need to show a big jump.  They've been good hovering around 360 yards and 26 points per game.  The talent is there to press those numbers upward.  The assumed approach towards the cap mandates that it happens.    Hopefully better health and better line can get them near top 3 in the league.  Can't say goodbye to Bates and sign Brown along with cap conservation for impending Higgins, Burrow extensions and not get a jump up in offensive production.

Need to be adding about 30 yards and couple points per game.   

2 hours ago, membengal said:

Ok, while I am no Mr. Olympia, I have lifted throughout my military career and still dabble with it when I decide to get off the couch.

That being said, I see absolutely ZERO benefit to have that much weight slung onto your shoulders uncontrollably.
Looks like some Cross Fit action going on there.  250-300 pounds just slamming into your shoulders like that?
It's like a barbell clean, gone horribly wrong.  I don't know, but go get after it Ossai and stay safe !!