Week 4 (TNF): Dolphins @ Bengals

HoosierCat

I was in on and off the board tonight. Pissed at the play calling, but happy to see them continuing to build.

They have got to come up with something more creative than what Mixon is offering. Not sure what his deal is not breaking a single tackle.

Yes the defense was good tonight again. Made the comment earlier about being jacked up on my thoughts of the defense. Happy to Bell get 2 picks.

This reminds me of the Jags game on Thursday night last year and then really using that game as a spring board. While Joe looked sleepy at times, he got fired up at the end and I was happy to see that.

Get rest !!!

• Like 2

I’m happy to be proved wrong, but it looks to me like Mixon is just done. He hit the wall. It happens to all of us. One day we wake up and this and that part don’t work quite like they used to. He’s just a guy now. Maybe he’s hurt and they’re hiding it or something but absent that, other guys need more touches. Perine, Evans, etc.

There’s Mem. Figured work was keeping you busy. Yes, agree. I made the comment that with little playing time in the preseason, they are basically in week 1 form. I know that not exact but apparently not far off.

They have more to do, but now they have a little extra time to prep for the Ravens. This week is going to be crucial for the team, but they appear up for it.

7 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

I’m happy to be proved wrong, but it looks to me like Mixon is just done. He hit the wall. It happens to all of us. One day we wake up and this and that part don’t work quite like they used to. He’s just a guy now. Maybe he’s hurt and they’re hiding it or something but absent that, other guys need more touches. Perine, Evans, etc.

This is me right now I turned 40 now I’m 41, and my back will not heal it sucks!

Tell me how you feel when you turn 52 and while turning a screw driver, you simultaneously rupture your biceps tendon, tear your rotator cuff, and detach the ligaments holding the back of your shoulder together.  5 weeks out of surgery and when it rained the other day, I almost had to put myself in a Percocet induced coma to deal with the pain. I feel you Volcom !!

I don't know how it will grade out, but Volson seemed to have a better game as well.  Yes, continued improvement, much like everyone else, but there were times where you can see why he beat out Carman.  On the Wilcox catch, you can see him run nearly 25 yards downfield, get in front of the play and continue blocking.  Had Wilcox broke the tackle, that would have gone for more.

When looking at the Mixon run, where he was basically pushed into the end zone, you can see Volson get moving and slam into the pile, which pretty much pushed it the rest of the way.  I'm not calling the guy an all pro, but it's nice to see him continue grinding out there on a line that has struggled.

14 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

They had Veteran volunteers placing the white Pom Poms on each seat today. Afterward they got a light dinner and a free ticket to the game for volunteering.

For those that may be Veterans or know someone who is, this is a local group that gets tickets for Veterans to the Bengals, Reds, FC Cincinnati and other events in the city for free.

https://www.afta-cincinnati.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=cms.home

Additionally for any Veteran here or those that may know Veterans, there is another favorite of mine that I use with a lot of frequency.  https://www.vettix.org/

Once registered, you can set two default areas and a radius for those areas and then select the different types of events you are interested in.  You can set alerts for any event and if they get tickets, they will send you a text or email to let you know.  Sometimes the tickets are free and are always less than full price if you happen to have to pay.

I have been going to Ohio State games and have gotten up to 4 tickets at a time and never paid more than $14 per ticket.  We are going this weekend for free.

Really good stuff !!

• Like 1

I think run blocking has some more heavy lifting to go,  without checking the individual runs it seemed the 1 yard or less carries had diminished.   Not a whole lot of pressure from the Phins.     I would think run blocking grades from PFF won't be great. 

Another top defense performance.    Won the TO battle again.    Really great job keeping Cheetah and Waddle in check (out of the endzone) and under 400 yards total offense.

I didn't like the 4 and 1 play call (first half) and I think they should have had more than 3 points out of their first 2nd half drives that could have sealed the game instead of losing the lead.     They really need to work to get that offense potential into offense production.   But they won by 15 on the road and then an undefeated AFC team by 12.  Not ugly wins by any means but probably 1 to 2 finishing drives from being dominating.

I think the line needed time (duh) and it will keep getting better from here. I am super encouraged about Volson - I think we found a pro there and he will be the answer at LG for a long time. 

I don't know what is up with Mixon - it literally looks like he is missing burst. the play which laid that bare was the run late after the second Bell INT when he cut it back to the left and had it wide open and had only one guy to beat and completely couldn't make him miss.

Maybe he really has hit the Zeke wall too. Could be it's just gone. Happens.  Wouldn't surprise me to see him with a bit more bounce after this mini-bye.

Seriously, I generally have no complaints. This last five days was crucial and saved the season (as in, made it meaningful going forward). I expect that next year ZT will be a little more aggressive in getting some run for the regulars in at least one pre-season game. I give him a bit of  a pass for this year b/c of Burrow's ill-timed appendix rupture. I think that made camp weird.

Regardless, happy to see the team I more recognize. Happy. 

• Like 1