2022 NFL Draft

HoosierCat

Linderbaum is my #1 hope for our first rounder.  I'm just now of the line of thought that he won't be there.
It's possible if the needs of the others teams don't include a Center.
One of the things I think that helps us in hoping that happens is that he is strictly a Center.
He's not one of those guys that has played multiple positions and teams can plug in elsewhere on the line.

For what it's worth, my best mock drafts are when Linderbaum falls to #31.  The outcomes always make me smile.

21 minutes ago, Stripes said:

After every single PFF mock simulation has tried to shove Cordale Flott in my face for a month, I kind of hope he goes undrafted. It's his fault.

right there with you. I now loathe him for the same reason. 

My top 5 in order right now is

1) Linderbaum and yes I would trade up into the low 20's to get him.

2) Devonte Wyatt, 3 tech, Georgia.  Would take a team captain on a national championship team who put up great numbers and plays a position of great need for the Bengals if he is there, would fit nicely next to Reader

3) Andrew Booth, CB, Clemson. I just like how he plays....any other year we would be talking about him as a top 2 CB but with Sauce and Stingley he might fall....tall-ish, good hands, scheme versatile....good fit for Cincy's d.

4) David Ojabo, DE, Michigan.  He just jumps off the screen, raw, like Ossai, but he would be long gone by #31 without the freak Achilles.  I am collecting talent in this draft, I would take him at the end of the first.

5) George Karloftis, DE, Purdue.  Might be a bit of a tweener without the agility you normally find in an edge so might slide inside.  Reminds me alot of Justin Smith.

Mel time again. Just put out his 2-rounder. Good news for all you Linderbaum fans: he drops to 31 and gets picked! Bad news:

Projected trade: Jets move up for ... a center?

How about a third first-round selection from the Jets? In this scenario, with a glaring hole at center and the top guy still on the board, they deal No. 35 and a Day 3 pick to get back into Round 1. And crucially, they keep their pick at No. 38, which allows them to get more help.

The Bengals would move down just four spots and pick up an extra fourth-rounder. They signed center Ted Karras in free agency among other moves to upgrade their O-line, so their need isn't as big.

31. New York Jets (via mock trade with CIN)

Tyler Linderbaum, C, Iowa

Could Linderbaum be the Jets' new Nick Mangold? They took Mangold at pick No. 29 in 2006 and have been trying to fill that void at center since he left the team after the 2016 season. Some NFL teams are putt off by Linderbaum's short arms, but just watch the tape. He has the physical traits to be an All-Pro and is exceptional as both a run and pass blocker. He's exactly what the Jets need, and this is tremendous value.

I can just imagine the screams from Bengals fandom if that were to happen. You'll be able to hear them in the next galaxy. So who do we take four picks later?

35. Cincinnati Bengals (via mock trade with NYJ)

Kaiir Elam, CB, Florida

Cornerback is the position the Bengals should target if they keep the No. 31 pick, and they should be thrilled with Elam here. He locked down receivers for the Gators and then ran a 4.39 40 at the combine. He could be a Day 1 starter for Cincinnati.

And finally at 63 he has us passing on Trey McBride for...

63. Cincinnati Bengals

Greg Dulcich, TE, UCLA

Let's end this projection with the top tight ends in the class. Dulcich averaged 17.3 yards per catch last season, lining up mostly next to offensive tackles. He ran some routes out of the slot, but if the Bengals want to replace C.J. Uzomah with a similar tight end, that's Dulcich.

He goes on to give McBride to the Broncos with the next pick and more or less says he's the better player, but the Bengals take Dulchic because "he's like CJ".

I think I would pretty much hate this draft. Fuk you, Mel.

I think Dulecich is better than McBride, fwiw.  But I want him in round 3.

If you would like a good draft news and notes read -Tony Pauline has a good one up today:

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-draft-news-and-rumors-travon-walker-kyle-hamilton-and-others/

This is from that and will make you happy, Army:Tyler Linderbaum as

Tyler Linderbaum as a first-round pick and other offensive line updates

No surprise to me at least, but no team I spoke with had a first-round grade on Iowa center Tyler Linderbaum. It was all early second round.

College tackles Darian Kinnard of Kentucky, Sean Rhyan of UCLA, Luke Goedeke of Central Michigan, and Cordell Volson from North Dakota State are listed on the guard boards for most teams.

My personal Big Board at 31 in rough order of preference:

Linderbaum
Z. Johnson
D. Wyatt (on off-chance he falls)
K. Elam
A falling d-end (Karlaftis? J. Johnson?)
A. Booth (kinda - I really am bothered by the core muscle surgery dealie)
Whichever S is there who can cover deep as opposed to restricted to box

2 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Mel time again. Just put out his 2-rounder. Good news for all you Linderbaum fans: he drops to 31 and gets picked! Bad news:

I can just imagine the screams from Bengals fandom if that were to happen. You'll be able to hear them in the next galaxy. So who do we take four picks later?

And finally at 63 he has us passing on Trey McBride for...

He goes on to give McBride to the Broncos with the next pick and more or less says he's the better player, but the Bengals take Dulchic because "he's like CJ".

I think I would pretty much hate this draft. Fuk you, Mel.

I would love the trade down. 

I don't see the Bengals taking IOL in the top 100.   The path to playing time is a lot more difficult.    Its likely a similar prospect at another position would be available and represent a better chance to contribute.  

I do think there is an outside chance of T in the top 100.  Collins is on a team friendly deal and Prince could be upgraded and there usually is minor snaps available for a swing tackle. 

Linderbaum starts immediately at C with Karras at LG. No path to playing time impediment there.

Z. Johnson would start immediately at LG with Karras at C. No path to playing time impediment there either. 

• Like 1

Ian Kenyon
@IanKenyonNFL
·
1m
I think I'll end up rolling with
1. Dulcich
2. McBride
3. Jelani

But it's difficult to argue between the three. McBride is the safest. Dulcich is a jumbo WR/TE hybrid. Jelani is the highest upside.

1 hour ago, membengal said:

Linderbaum starts immediately at C with Karras at LG. No path to playing time impediment there.

Z. Johnson would start immediately at LG with Karras at C. No path to playing time impediment there either. 

I agree from the "what does Stripes want?" perspective. I do wonder, however, if the Bengals are going to avoid this approach just because Jackson Carman exists.

Here's Brugler's first round of the 7-round mock he just posted:

Putting together a seven-round mock draft can feel like an exercise in futility, because a few trades on draft night will completely blow it up. But it is still a worthwhile exercise because it is more than simply matching player with team. I am focusing on scheme fits, organizational trends and reported interest level (30 visits, formal meetings, etc.) to make sense of all 262 selections.

To make things easily digestible, I included the team-by-team hauls at the bottom of the article, which helps show how each team did in this mock.

First Round
1. Jacksonville Jaguars: Aidan Hutchinson, Edge, Michigan

Georgia’s Travon Walker should not be ruled out here, but Hutchinson remains the favorite around the league to hear his name called No. 1. Though not on the same level as past No. 1 overall picks, the Michigan pass rusher wins with quickness, power and skilled hand play, which should translate well to the NFL game.

2. Detroit Lions: Travon Walker, Edge, Georgia

I certainly understand the apprehension of drafting Walker this early when he is unproven as a high-level pass rusher. But his usage in the Georgia scheme didn’t allow him to fully blossom as an outside rush threat, and his freaky traits (athleticism, power, length) are worth betting on.

3. Houston Texans: Ikem Ekwonu, OT/G, NC State

Houston is wide open at this spot. Cincinnati cornerback Sauce Gardner would not be a surprise here. A pass rusher like Oregon’s Kayvon Thibodeaux will be part of the discussion. But the idea of fortifying the offensive line with the top blocker on the board feels like the most realistic option. The bigger question might be, which offensive lineman?

4. New York Jets: Kayvon Thibodeaux, Edge, Oregon

I originally put Sauce Gardner here, but I think head coach (Robert Saleh) and general manager (Joe Douglas) are aligned as they prioritize pass rush more than the corner. Thibodeaux won’t be for every franchise, especially in the top 10, but the Jets are one of the landing spots that make sense.

5. New York Giants: Evan Neal, OT, Alabama

Regardless of what happens with the first four picks, the organization and first-year general manager Joe Schoen have to feel good about what will be left for them at No. 5. Neal offers outstanding flexibility, both as a 340-pound blocker and with his versatility to play right tackle or guard.

6. Carolina Panthers: Kenny Pickett, QB, Pittsburgh

There is zero consensus around the league on where the run on quarterbacks will start, so it is tough to feel confident about this projection. There’s a decent chance I won’t have a quarterback here in my final mock draft, but the Panthers haven’t been coy about their interest in the quarterback prospects in this class.

7. New York Giants (from Chicago): Sauce Gardner, CB, Cincinnati

If the Giants are unable to trade back and add draft assets for next year, a plug-and-play blocker at No. 5 and shut down corner at No. 7 feels like the ideal scenario for Schoen and the Giants. Gardner has the length, speed and confidence that should translate well to the pro game.

8. Atlanta Falcons: Malik Willis, QB, Liberty

The Falcons are officially a rebuilding franchise, and the No. 1 priority in either this draft or next draft is to find the quarterback of the future. Next year’s quarterback class may be more promising, but this comes down to Atlanta’s projection of Willis. If the Falcons believe he can be a high-level quarterback, then they shouldn’t pass.

9. Seattle Seahawks (from Denver): Derek Stingley, CB, LSU

Another rebuilding franchise, the Seahawks could go in a number of different directions such as offensive tackle (Charles Cross) or pass rusher (Jermaine Johnson), and quarterback should never be ruled out. But Stingley is another logical option both in terms of talent and team need.

10. New York Jets (from Seattle): Garrett Wilson, WR, Ohio State

The Jets have been aggressive this offseason in their pursuit of a legit No. 1 receiving threat. But with options like Tyreek Hill not working out, Douglas turns to the draft to land a versatile receiving weapon who will directly impact the scoreboard and help the development of Zach Wilson.

11. Washington Commanders: Kyle Hamilton, S, Notre Dame

Hamilton is universally liked across the league, but not every franchise is going to be on board with drafting a unique 6-foot-4, 220-pound safety with a top pick, which is why it shouldn’t be surprising if he falls out of the top 10. I think the Commanders want a receiver here to help score more points, but I also think it will be tough for Ron Rivera to pass on a talent like Hamilton.

12. Minnesota Vikings: Trent McDuffie, CB, Washington

The lack of length (29 3/4-inch arms) is the main concern with his projection, but McDuffie has the football IQ, athleticism and toughness required to be a team’s top cornerback and the debut pick of first-year general manager Kwesi Adofo-Mensah.

13. Houston Texans (from Cleveland): Jermaine Johnson, Edge, Florida State

The Texans might go pass rusher at No. 3 overall, but in this scenario they opt for the offensive lineman and still land one of the draft’s better edge rushers at No. 13. Johnson has the length, agility and active hands to be disruptive as both a pass rusher and run defender.

14. Baltimore Ravens: Devin Lloyd, LB, Utah

I don’t think anyone would be surprised if the Ravens drafted an offensive tackle (Trevor Penning), edge rusher (George Karlaftis) or defensive lineman (Jordan Davis) here. But a versatile linebacker like Lloyd will also be an appealing option with four-down skills that would be a great fit in Baltimore’s scheme.

15. Philadelphia Eagles (from Miami): Jordan Davis, DT, Georgia

Plenty of league evaluators have reservations about Davis sustaining his high-level athleticism on a higher snap count and becoming more than an early down run defender. But plenty of league evaluators picking in the top 15 are ready to bet on his rare blend of size, power and athleticism. And I bet Howie Roseman is one of them.

16. New Orleans Saints (from Indianapolis): Charles Cross, OT, Mississippi State

Cross is a top-10 player in this draft class for me and many others, but if he were to slip out of that range, the Saints would be eagerly waiting to scoop him up as they fill the void at left tackle (I wouldn’t be surprised if they traded up for him, either).

17. Los Angeles Chargers: Trevor Penning, OT, Northern Iowa

The Chargers drafted a foundational piece on offense last year with Rashawn Slater at left tackle. They might be able to do it again at right tackle with Penning, who will compete for the starting job from day one and could also provide depth at guard if needed.

18. Philadelphia Eagles (from New Orleans): Drake London, WR, USC

From the production to the way he wins, London would be a great fit with Philadelphia. The former dual-sport athlete at USC can play in the slot or outside as the X, providing a supersized target for Jalen Hurts.

19. New Orleans Saints (from Philadelphia): Jameson Williams, WR, Alabama

Another no-brainer fit with player and team, Williams would give the Saints’ offense more of a vertical threat on the outside. Even with his ACL surgery in mid-January, several teams view the former Alabama receiver as one of the best offensive players in this draft.

20. Pittsburgh Steelers: Desmond Ridder, QB, Cincinnati

The Steelers have spent a lot of time and resources evaluating this year’s crop of quarterbacks, and they won’t be shy trading up to get “their guy” if they need to. But “their guy” might be Ridder, who impressed the Steelers’ key decision-makers, including ownership, during pre-draft meetings.

21. New England Patriots: Dax Hill, CB/S, Michigan

This is where we might see the first interior offensive lineman off the board, but Hill offers the position versatility and athleticism that will really appeal to Bill Belichick. Hill can step in at corner or nickel from day one and possibly be a long-term answer at safety. That versatility is a luxury in Belichick’s secondary.

22. Green Bay Packers (from Las Vegas): Chris Olave, WR, Ohio State

The moment I heard that Davante Adams was traded, Olave to the Packers was the first thought that came to mind. Olave doesn’t offer the same physicality or after-the-catch skills as Adams, but his ability to create pockets of separation and be in the right place at the right time should establish instant chemistry with Aaron Rodgers.

23. Arizona Cardinals: George Karlaftis, Edge, Purdue

Karlaftis is a tough prospect to mock because there are several front office decision-makers who believe he will fall to the second round. That would surprise me, especially with the long list of teams, including Arizona, looking to improve their pass rush. If Karlaftis is gone, Georgia’s Devonte Wyatt might be plan B as Arizona looks for upgrades on the defensive line.

24. Dallas Cowboys: Zion Johnson, OG, Boston College

I’ll be surprised if this pick is anything other than an offensive lineman or wide receiver. Treylon Burks will be an enticing option for Dallas, but I’m giving the edge to the plug-and-play left guard who will help bring stability to an inconsistent unit.

25. Buffalo Bills: Treylon Burks, WR, Arkansas

A prevailing draft misconception is the first round is reserved for a team’s top needs on the roster. But smart teams focus on value and adding assets that best impact the roster. Wide receiver isn’t the top need for the Bills, but adding a big slot like Burks who can be worked into the rotation only creates greater conflict for defenses.

26. Tennessee Titans: Kenyon Green, OG, Texas A&M

From the Titans’ need at left guard to their specific interest in Green, this projection checks a lot of boxes. Green was asked to do a lot on the Aggies’ offensive line last season, including taking snaps at four different positions, but he spent most of his time at left guard.

27. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Devonte Wyatt, DT, Georgia

There is a good chance this pick will be on the interior of the line, either offensive or defensive. Wyatt is older than ideal for a first-round player, but he is also ready to step in from day one and give Tampa a disruptive presence. Vita Vea and Wyatt would be a daunting duo to block.

28. Green Bay Packers: Travis Jones, DT, Connecticut

The Packers will add defensive line help on draft weekend, and if they go that direction in the first round, Jones makes the most sense (with Jordan Davis long gone). Jones has the explosive power to be a force vs. the run while also offering upside as a pass rusher.

29. Kansas City Chiefs (from San Francisco): Kaiir Elam, CB, Florida

I think most are assuming one of these back-to-back Chiefs picks will be a wide receiver, but it wouldn’t be a surprise if they go with a pair of defensive players. Elam is a big, physical corner with 4.3 speed, and his best football in front of him. He has the profile that Kansas City covets on the outside.

30. Kansas City Chiefs: Boye Mafe, Edge, Minnesota

I still have concerns about Mafe as a run defender and why he wasn’t more dominant in college. But pass rushers with his athletic profile (4.53 40-yard dash, 42.5-inch vertical at 260 pounds) don’t last very long on draft weekend.

31. Cincinnati Bengals: Tyler Linderbaum, OC, Iowa

I know, I know. The Bengals added three key pieces already this offseason on the offensive line. The idea of using a premium resource for a fourth seems unlikely. But Linderbaum might be too good to pass up. Load up on blocking talent and sort it out in training camp.

32. Detroit Lions (from Los Angeles): Jahan Dotson, WR, Penn State

The sixth wide receiver drafted in the first round, Dotson to Detroit would be another ideal match of receiver and offense. The former Penn State pass catcher is undersized, but he might have the best combination of catch radius and ball skills of any sub-5-11 receiver I have ever evaluated.

And here were his total picks for the Bengals (I have not heard of the last three) (this draft leaves me kinda meh but I do co-sign on Linderbaum) (also, he gave the punt god to the Eagles in the 4th):

Cincinnati Bengals
1 (31) Tyler Linderbaum, C, Iowa
2 (63) Cam Taylor-Britt, CB, Nebraska
3 (95) Bryan Cook, S, Cincinnati
4 (136) James Mitchell, TE, Virginia Tech
5 (174) Kyle Philips, WR, UCLA
6 (209) David Anenih, Edge, Houston
7 (226) Keaontay Ingram, RB, USC
7 (252) Cal Adomitis, LS, Pittsburgh