2022 NFL Draft

HoosierCat

I went ahead and moved it to this section.

While I have given the thought of Metchie in the 2nd some thought, I think there are better moves which would impact us sooner rather than later.
#1, would be making the assumption that Metchie is going to be back at full health.  I would expect that, but nothing is guaranteed.
If he progresses as expected, he could be a cheaper option then bringing back Boyd for another contract.

That being said, a TE like McBride would be a smarter move for the team.  Outside of him, a dynamic returner like Marcus Jones would be awesome.
Maybe a LB to help that corps out with a guy like Chad Muma, who played with Logan Wilson in Wyoming.

Bottom line for me is I think there will be better and smarter options, but I wouldn't be pissed if that's the way they went.

On 3/29/2022 at 10:39 AM, membengal said:

Nice. Here's the TDN I just ran ( I would take this draft 100 times out of 100):

Pick 31 - DeVonta Wyatt, IDL, Georgia (if he slides to there I do think the Bengals sprint to the podium)

Pick 63 - Isaiah Likely, TE, Coastal Carolina

Pick 95 - Abraham Lucas, OT, Washington State

Pick 136 - Cobe Bryant, CB, Cincinnati

Pick 175 - Cade Mays, IOL, Tennessee

Pick 209 - Kaelon Barnes, CB, Baylor

Pick 226 - Micahel Woods II, WR, Oklahoma

Pick 252, Zyon McCollum, CB, San Houston State

I'd say that is an A++++ draft.   Without seeing who was available.   The only knock I could find would be 2 OL picks 95 and 175.   Quality players,  I just don't think you'll get 2 that high this year. 

Fantastic otherwise. 

On 3/31/2022 at 11:11 AM, ArmyBengal said:

I enjoyed reading their take on the players.
Interesting to see how other people (see those that do it for a living) really rank and compare to previous years.
It feeds the point that just because a player goes in the 1st round, doesn't necessarily mean he's a 1st round talent.

I think some of their Tier 3 players may fall to #31.
That being said, there are plenty of Tier 4, 5 and 6 players that I would love to see in stripes.

I know DT/DE Logan Hall from Houston doesn't have a set position and he probably should go between our 1st and 2nd round picks, but that dude is really fun to watch.  I caught a bunch of Houston games this season and the dude is just fun to watch.  A mentality that would fit the Bengals defense.  Personally, there's something about watching a 6'6 DT get after it in the middle of the line.

Yes, thanks Mem for posting !!

Agree.   Thanks for posting Mem.   I think this concept has been a long time missing piece in NFL draft conversations.    This is getting back to college recruiting analysis.     Not that is 100% accurate but it address an inherent reality not all classes are going to be the same.    

Its a fact of life that some draft classes are better than others and I think real NFL personnel people know this and it factors into their draft day decisions.

Agree AMPHAR and why I say it's simply not enough to say something like, "I don't care who they draft, but the first round pick HAS to be an o-lineman."
You can substitute o-lineman with any other position group and the point remains the same.

Maybe when they go on the board, there isn't a player at a position of need worthy of being taken at that point.  Maybe forcing the issue by position means losing out on a far better player at a position that represents less of a need.

Hell look at the draft we took Billy Price.  The Bengals had a need for a Center, but traded down.  In that trade down, they missed out on 4-5 pro bowl level players.  I assume because they thought a player they liked would be there.  Most knew they wanted Ragnow (see pro bowler) but he went one pick before and they selected Price, despite him not being thought to be ready to jump into the starting roll right away.

By selecting Price (who at the time I didn't have a big problem with) they passed on taking one of the other 5 players that have made pro bowls before making their 2nd round pick.  That has really helped solidify my perspective when thinking about who they draft in what round.

I still don't think I will ever forgive them for taking Malik Jefferson when Orlando Brown was sitting there in the 3rd freaking round.
Their trade down was for an aging Cordy Glenn and Bobby Hart was starting on the right side that year.
WHAT THE F*CK !?!?

I did a bunch on PFF today and hated all of them. This was the least bad, as I see it:

1-31 - Zion Johnson, G, Boston College
2-63 - Jalen Tolbert, WR, South Alabama
3-95 - Zyon McCollum, CB, Sam Houston
4-136 - Cordale Flott, CB, LSU
5-174 - Sterling Weatherford, S, Miami OH
6-209 - Daniel Bellinger, TE, SDSU
7-226 - Matt Araiza, P, SDSU
7-252 - Jordan Jackson, DL, Air Force

It seemed the only high-value CB consistently available at 31 was Jalen Pitre, and he's probably a slot guy.

I surprise myself with how open I am to wide receiver. If the Big Four (for me: Linderbaum, Johnson, Elam, and Booth) are all gone, then… fuck it. Go four wide. Elite QB with competent protection and a bottomless Santa’s sack of weapons? I won’t complain.

1 hour ago, Stripes said:

I surprise myself with how open I am to wide receiver. If the Big Four (for me: Linderbaum, Johnson, Elam, and Booth) are all gone, then… fuck it. Go four wide. Elite QB with competent protection and a bottomless Santa’s sack of weapons? I won’t complain.

Add Ojabo, Lloyd and Green and you have my list of hopefuls....

Nope on Ojabo for me as well. He needed further development to make it worth it and now misses critical time with an injury that may rob him of what made him special. I don’t want that risk in round 1.

Regarding Treylon Burks, I just had another one where he was available.
I took him at #31 and here is how the rest of it shook out.

1st Round: Treylon Burks, WR, Arkansas
2nd Round: Troy Anderson, LB, Montana St.  (This represents a reach in TDN, but it won't be)
3rd Round: Marcus Jones, CB, Houston
4th Round: Coby Bryant, CB, Cincinnati (I loved doubling up this position along with Jones as a return guy)
5th Round: Matt Araiza, P, San Diego St. (Dude is always there at the bottom of the 5th and I ALWAYS take him)
6th Round: Amare' Barno, DE, Virginia Tech (I think this guy goes much earlier than this)
7th Round: Smoke Monday, S, Auburn (I like him as a late round prospect and we lost Ricardo what's his face)
7th Round: Neil Farrell, DT, LSU (End of the 7th... why not ??)

• Like 1

New favorite:

1-31 Kaiir Elam, CB, Flordia
2-63 Arnold Ebiketie, Edge, Penn State
3-95 John Metchie III, WR, Alabama
4-136 Cordale Flott, CB, LSU
5-174 Grant Calcaterra, TE, SMU
6-209 Alec Lindstrom, C, Boston College
7-226 Percy Butler, S, Lousiana
7-252 Logan Bruss, T, Wisconsin

4 minutes ago, Stripes said:

New favorite:

1-31 Kaiir Elam, CB, Flordia
2-63 Arnold Ebiketie, Edge, Penn State
3-95 John Metchie III, WR, Alabama
4-136 Cordale Flott, CB, LSU
5-174 Grant Calcaterra, TE, SMU
6-209 Alec Lindstrom, C, Boston College
7-226 Percy Butler, S, Lousiana
7-252 Logan Bruss, T, Wisconsin

The draft has always intrigued me and think it's enjoyable to speculate how players fit on our beloved Bengals team for both current and future needs.
I also find it interesting to see how other people view the players and hear their thoughts.

However, outside of picking up Metchie in the 3rd, there isn't another player in that mock which makes me happy.
Granted, outside of a few things in my life in which I have excelled at, I'm wrong more often than not.