2022 NFL Draft

HoosierCat

Got bored, did one on pff.

1 Elam, fine, all that was left really

2 G Dylan Parham, Memphis, RG, potential RT maybe

3 Jones, surprised he was there, usually gone on pff by this time. Probably the guy I want most in this draft.

4 HB Kyren Williams, ND, eh, not impressed with my options here, at least has a rep as team leader & hard worker

5 S Tycen Anderson, Toledo, again a bit surprised to see him here

6 Punt God

7 WR Jalen Nailor, Michigan State, best wr left, its the Bengals, have to take a wideout

7b T Austin Deculus, LSU, eh at this point who cares

22 minutes ago, membengal said:

Peter Schrager’s first mock - it’s a bit different. He tries to craft these based on his convos with teams around the league.

I would be very surprised to see Kaflaftis fall that far, but still wouldn't be thrilled with that pick.
The only way I could get on board with a DE at #31 is if the Bengals feel Ossai will never make it back.

There is also no reason for Seattle to trade back up with KC, seeing as how the Bengals won't be taking a QB.
I feel if that particular instance were to occur, the Bengals would be the target and they would probably bite.
Dropping down to #40 and picking up #72 would still keep them in a nice position.

I think Karlaftis could be there.    I was trying to get a sense on where his prospect grades were after I caught the NFL network segment on him.   His "athletic" score was better than 49er Bosa (can't remember the first name).

While edge rusher may not appear to be top priority.   I still think pass rush in any form right now is among the top needs along with coverage personnel.  With Georgia DTs off the board along with my favorite Burks off the board.  I would like this pick but probably not my first choice.      

I would be very surprised to see Kaflaftis fall that far, but still wouldn't be thrilled with that pick.
The only way I could get on board with a DE at #31 is if the Bengals feel Ossai will never make it back.

I echo Hoosier here - YOU CAN NEVER HAVE ENOUGH RUSHERS

There is also no reason for Seattle to trade back up with KC, seeing as how the Bengals won't be taking a QB.

The reason teams might trade back into the 1st round at 30, 31, or 32, say, and grab a QB, is to get the QB on the 5th year option. 

If I had to rank the three position groups most likely to be the first round pick, based on what I know of the Bengals and who figures to be available:

CB > Edge > S

If someone like Karlaftis is there, I think they’ll pull the trigger.

It occurred to me today that, to my memory, the Bengals haven’t taken an interior defensive lineman in the first round since Dan Wilkinson. I could be forgetting someone (and Justin Smith ended up IDL eventually). I also don’t think OL is likely unless Linderbaum drops.

5 minutes ago, membengal said:

The reason teams might trade back into the 1st round at 30, 31, or 32, say, and grab a QB, is to get the QB on the 5th year option. 

I think the point was they could easily just trade with Bengals as there is no need to get in front of them for a QB.     Yes,  if these QBs are legit there would be a need to get in front of Detroit or maybe Detroit moves up a spot if they desire a new QB.  I have no idea how much they like Goff but that offense was not very dynamic last year.

5 minutes ago, Stripes said:

If I had to rank the three position groups most likely to be the first round pick, based on what I know of the Bengals and who figures to be available:

CB > Edge > S

damn.  my preference is 3TDT then ORT then CB

add FS here if they already know that Bates wont be back, and are keeping that quiet

DE wouldnt be horrible, but low on my list

1 hour ago, membengal said:

Oh, I get that part Mem and agree. 
My point would only be that the less far a team has to trade up to get their target, they less it will cost in draft capital.
Understandably, maybe the Bengals wouldn't want to trade down and they would have to jump up to the Chiefs.
My contention is that it wouldn't be the case, as I see the Bengals as always being willing to trade down.

As long as this team has Bailey (who I like) listed as a starter, the team should make every effort to improve the LB corp.

Minus 3rd round takings, they simply don't do it.  I love Logan Wilson and have always been lukewarm at best with Pratt.
ADG has been hurt and everyone else, regardless of how much I like them (and I do) are depth guys.
Clay Johnston ??  Joe Batchie ??  Yeah, depth guys.

A second round LB make all the sense in the world depending on who else is still on the board.
At least that is my take.

I consider linebacker a need in that I am not entirely sold on the depth (I think Wilson and Pratt are quality starters). ADG is probably fine, but not more than fine. I haven't seen enough from Bailey or Bachie to truly trust them in a pinch. The best argument against taking linebackers early is that the value of the position has significantly diminished with 5+ DB defenses taking over, but I would still support them grabbing one somewhere along the way not including the first round. As always though it depends upon how things fall.

I think my attitude in the approach to the draft has changed over the past 5 years.

Once upon a time, I wanted to know what the definitive team needs are and wanted to see them draft accordingly.
I no longer see it so black and white.  Now there are gray areas (and probably always have been) with who is available when they go on the clock.
I've mentioned this previously... don't reach for a need that equates to a perceived less valued (talented) player.

An example would be not to reach for Kyler Gordon at #31 (who I still love) when LB Devin Lloyd falls to you because CB is a bigger need.
Especially considering the depth of that positional draft class is a little deeper.  Take the more talented player and make a reach in the later rounds.

That's kind of where I am with (especially) 1st and 2nd round picks.  Take talent.

Anthony Treash
@PFF_Anthony
·
1m
Iowa center Tyler Linderbaum at his pro day (among iOL historically)

6’2” 302
4.98 40 (96th percentile)
1.71 10 (93rd)
7.14 3-cone (100th)
4.38 pro agility (97th)
32.5 vertical (92nd)
110.5 broad (93rd)

elite.