2022 NFL Draft

HoosierCat

21 hours ago, membengal said:

Linderbaum starts immediately at C with Karras at LG. No path to playing time impediment there.

Z. Johnson would start immediately at LG with Karras at C. No path to playing time impediment there either. 

Yes there is.   This is possible but IMO unlikely.   They didn't target IOL in free agency without a view of the IOL draft picks.   The above forces a change in plans, cutting previous starters or cutting a low round C draft pick who they kept in order to trade a former first round starter.

Meanwhile CBs 3-6 are very questionable.  Eli, Flowers are one 1 year deals and were on the open market.  Then there are 2 UDFAs they didn't play very much.   A corner draft pick at 31virtually walks into a roster spot and probably playing time.

DT they have a spot open without benching or cutting someone.   I hope they sign Larry O.  but until they do its a big need.  They could draft pass rusher on the edge then rotate a DE into the middle for DT pass rush snaps.  

8 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

Yes there is.   This is possible but IMO unlikely.   They didn't target IOL in free agency without a view of the IOL draft picks.   The above forces a change in plans, cutting previous starters or cutting a low round C draft pick who they kept in order to trade a former first round starter.

None of that requires "cutting previous starters". Are you high?  Carman and Adeniji still on this team as back-ups. Hill never started. Prince unaffected as swing tackle.

STOP. Take the L. Drafting Linderbaum does not involve any playing time impediments to Linderbaum. 

The first three in this CBS 7-round mock are better (Booth, Winfrey (IDL OK), Fortner (IOL KY) but then it goes off the rails with a RB in round 4 and goes downhill from there mostly.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2022-nfl-seven-round-mock-draft-inside-new-orleans-first-round-plan-chiefs-and-packers-land-receivers/

20 hours ago, Stripes said:

I agree from the "what does Stripes want?" perspective. I do wonder, however, if the Bengals are going to avoid this approach just because Jackson Carman exists.

My guess is they will avoid this situation because of the current passing situation depth charts at DT and CB and also the belief that Carman is a starter in this league and if not Adeniji is.

12 minutes ago, membengal said:

None of that requires "cutting previous starters". Are you high?  Carman and Adeniji still on this team as back-ups. Hill never started. Prince unaffected as swing tackle.

STOP. Take the L. Drafting Linderbaum does not involve any playing time impediments to Linderbaum. 

lol,  personal attack when you can't read...

cutting previous starters or cutting a low round C dr

notice the word "or" ? 

13 minutes ago, membengal said:

I'm willing to put money on Linderbaum not being a Bengal.   Are you?  Otherwise STFU with your L talk.

You said there was a playing time impediment to drafting Linderbaum. That's fucking WRONG. They may go a different direction, you clearly want them to, but making up reasons for why Linderbaum can't be drafted is bullshit. So, yeah,  take your L. If the presence of Trey Hill stops them from drafting Linderbaum they all need to resign. Or you need to stop posting. 

if you had said "I prefer they address CB etc before hitting IOL again after FA" I would understand that. But making up reasons why they can't draft Linderbaum is stupid. They clearly left the door pretty open for the possibility of hitting IOL again in the draft when they signed Karras who has such excellent C/G interchageability. You don't know their board any more than I do, but I am guessing they do not see Carman or Adeniji as stoppers to upgrading there in the draft if they see someone they like when they are at 31. 

21 minutes ago, membengal said:

You said there was a playing time impediment to drafting Linderbaum. That's fucking WRONG. They may go a different direction, you clearly want them to, but making up reasons for why Linderbaum can't be drafted is bullshit. So, yeah,  take your L. If the presence of Trey Hill stops them from drafting Linderbaum they all need to resign. Or you need to stop posting. 

Huh?  They have starter they just signed as a FA for Center.   Looks like a impediment to me.     I clearly said your plan was possible but unlikely not sure why you getting the panties in a wad, lol.     They named him as starting C and then cut the previous starting Center. 

But if you want to get into who's taking an L,  I'm willing take that on.  Just let me know.  Linderbaum is unlikely to be a Bengal and I'm willing to back that opinion.  Are you?

Karras is LITERALLY either a G OR C... he plays both LG AND C. TAKE THE L. 

You are conflating what they will do with whether there is an impediment to drafting Linderbaum. I am telling you, you are wrong, Karras being here is not an impediment. They may not go that road, but part of the brilliance in signing Karras was his versatility. He actually grades higher at LG than at C. Jeebus. Fucking admit you were talking out of your ass. 

Here's how I see Linderbaum...

The guy is an elite talent Center prospect and probably the best Center prospect to come out of a college program in the last 10-15 years.
Not only that, he's from a college that has historically produced high end o-line prospects.  Not like he played for William and Mary...

That being said, Karras graded out better at LG than he has at Center, so moving him back to LG to add an elite talent at Center is a no brainer.
While I have long commented about moving Carman to LG and leaving him there, the team seemingly has not truly committed to that thought.
Even if they did, there was no guarantees of him being the week 1 starter.  Having him as depth seems like a good problem to have.

Now, it's certainly plausible to see CB taken at #31 and I would have no problem with that in all honesty.
However, I would not want a CB, unless top two positionally (which won't happen), over Linderbaum at #31.  Just my two cents.

Regarding that most recent mock draft, I suppose he thinks Ogunjobi comes back as a free agency since the 3T spot wasn't addressed.

54 minutes ago, membengal said:

Karras is LITERALLY either a G OR C... he plays both LG AND C. TAKE THE L. 

You are conflating what they will do with whether there is an impediment to drafting Linderbaum. I am telling you, you are wrong, Karras being here is not an impediment. They may not go that road, but part of the brilliance in signing Karras was his versatility. He actually grades higher at LG than at C. Jeebus. Fucking admit you were talking out of your ass. 

Dude Linderbaum won't be a bengal.  You can profit off my wrong opinion or STFU.  All your other ramblings are worthless just like any mock giving the Bengals Linderbaum at 31.

So AMPHAR, is your take simply that Linderbaum won't be there to even consider at #31 ??
Or maybe even if he is, they should take a CB instead of him ??

What's your premise for saying he won't be a Bengal ??

Hell, if the Bengals don't get Ogunjobi back, 3T becomes as much of a need at #31 as any other position.
I'm just curious about your take.

Mem can defend himself, but "ramblings" are all we do here.
I happen to agree with his at this point.

This is how I view the probabilities of the possible events re: Linderbaum:

Linderbaum is taken before #31 > Linderbaum is available at #31 or lower and the Bengals pass > The Bengals take Linderbaum at #31 > The Bengals trade down and still take Linderbaum >>> The Bengals trade up for Linderbaum

Not necessarily what I think should happen. I just suspect the first round center pick isn't something they will feel is in alignment with their team-building strategy.

I'm simply acknowledging how good of a player Linderbaum is and the more than likely scenario of him being the week 1 starter if drafted.
That being said, I've long thought he would be gone by #31 and why I typically consider other positions/players with our first pick.

To suggest he wouldn't get playing time or that there would be a better player available at #31, I personally think is silly.
It's damn near unanimous in big board projections that he is a top 15 talent.
If he wasn't a Center, this conversation wouldn't take place.

How many people think Jermaine Johnson, Charles Cross or someone like Olave would be there at #31 ??
Next to no one.  However most all of them are consistently rated lower players than Linderbaum.

42 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

So AMPHAR, is your take simply that Linderbaum won't be there to even consider at #31 ??
Or maybe even if he is, they should take a CB instead of him ??

What's your premise for saying he won't be a Bengal ??

Hell, if the Bengals don't get Ogunjobi back, 3T becomes as much of a need at #31 as any other position.
I'm just curious about your take.

Mem can defend himself, but "ramblings" are all we do here.
I happen to agree with his at this point.

I don't think they consider Linderbaum in the first two rounds given who they signed in Free Agency and who they cut.   There is going to be another player that grades out similar that will walk into snaps at  another position. 

I really think IOL is off the board in the top 100 but of course if a player falls far enough then that changes things.

The biggest current needs, IMO are CB and DT.   I'm not sure they even have enough Dline under contract to fill their typical roster cut down day number.   CB, 3-6 are two guys on 1 year deals and then 2 UDFA that didn't play much and weren't signed by them out of college (meaning they either raided a practice squad or picked them up off the street).

Mem is wrong, as always lets emotion get in the way.  Maybe I can take some cash off him.

I think the core of the debate is the underlying philosophy driving the Bengals' 2022 offseason. I spoke of this on another board a bit, and I think there are three general schools of thought given the current roster makeup:

1 - Win Super Bowl LVII at all costs - Make moves oriented toward winning the next Super Bowl without as much regard for future states beyond this season and only this season. If the team is close enough, then close the final gaps with bold, and perhaps unorthodox moves that will propel the team immediately. I think selecting Linderbaum (and especially trading up) would be decent reflections of this approach. Center might not have the highest perceived "positional value", and it might not be the position you draft if you're thinking from a perspective of foresight -- but for 2022? You might plug the last hole to make this offense a dominating monstrosity. You put Joe Burrow in the best position currently plausible to drive this football team back to the title game for another shot at the Lombardi. Now, Linderbaum would be a small example of this strategy (and bigger examples would be things like signing Stephon Gilmore or JC Tretter). This is what the Rams did (to an unprecedented degree) last season.

Optimize the "Super Bowl window" period during the period in which Burrow, Chase, et al aren't being paid insane contracts - This is the approach I think the Bengals are taking. They're still concerned with roster construction beyond just the 2022 season, and are trying to have the foresight to be optimally situated over the next few seasons. Taking a safety in the first round would be very strong evidence that this is what they're doing. The more popular corner or interior defensive line projections are similar, but less obvious examples. These are players that may not start immediately, but they'll bolster depth and probably be in position to start later in 2022 or definitely by 2023. Things are muddier with certain prospects (like Booth or Elam) who genuinely could push to start right away.

3 - Operate conservatively to best assure long-term success for the next 8+ years - I think this is the Packers approach to business, or something like it. It's also probably what the Bengals were doing during the Andy Dalton era. It isn't as risky as the previous two approaches, but it also provides less championship promise for any single, individual season within the window being planned for. That window is just longer and steadier (if things go according to plan). I don't think the Bengals are doing this right now, because their last three offseasons have seen highly active free agency that suggest at least some willingness to take risks for the present.

I think the Bengals have been and will be in the #2 space. That probably portends a defensive draft pick this year, barring a very surprising drop from a major offensive talent at a high-value position. Linderbaum might not fit that bill, at least not in the eyes of Duke Tobin and the gang. I wouldn't fault them for that, because it's a reasonable balance of taking chances while also trying to operate sustainably. However, there's a big part of me that wants them to say fuck it and go for #1 -- and a Linderbaum pick would be a step in that direction.

• Thanks 1

It’s not about emotion. Amphar, as usual, is being an asshole. He is conflating draft discussion with what they will do. He needs to stop being a massive dink.

nothing they did in FA blocks them from taking a G or a C in the first round should they so choose. He is wrong on that. He chose to re-engage on it, so here we are. They may go CB. They may go DL. Hell, they may go WR. But whatever they do, it won’t be because any IOL at 31 is blocked.

I think the Bengals cut Trey Hopkins for a combination of two things.
He wasn't that good and the cut saved them 6 million dollars.  Trey Hopkins remains unsigned.

That allowed them to bring in Karras, while having their second year guy Trey Hill back up the Center position.
They currently have Carman at LG with Adeniji backing him up, although Adeniji was an OT and always was the swing tackle.
When considering both Carman's and Adeniji's performance last year, Karras would in fact be an upgrade to the LG position.
That would leave them with great depth, which is a nice problem and a new elite level Center with Hill backing him up.

They extended BJ Hill and Shelvin is a 2nd year guy, but agree they need more at the DT position.
Nothing precludes them from doing that in the 2nd round or bringing back Obigunkenobi as a free agent if cleared.

CB is certainly a need as well and can address the 2022 season by drafting one anywhere in the first 4 rounds in my opinion.

Again, my philosophy now is simply, that this is a team that needs to take the greater talent, rather than need at #31.
Don't take the 5th best player at his position when you can have the top rater player at his.

For what it's worth, if Linderbaum does fall to #31, there is simply no way in hell another player rated similarly is there.
Unless someone wants to argue he's been overvalued by every draft expert/analyst at this point.

• Like 2

Again, I would not have any concern with a myriad of positions at #31.
I would be happy with a CB, DT, WR, LB, OG, or even safety if they've written off signing Bates long term.
Hell, DE has even been part of the discussion.  Nothing is out of the question.

We will figure it out in 2 weeks from today and either way around, I think I'm going to have a reason to be happy.