Offensive Line Draft Talk Thread

membengal

2 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

Bengals took both WRs off FSU one year but didn’t get the QB.  I think it was National Champ team. 

Although Coles was considered #2 to Warrick.   The Bengals got the 3rd can’t remember his name. 

You are thinking of Ron Dugans IIRC

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, membengal said:

Two can play at this game.

Bobby Hart had 33" inch arms.

You are welcome. 

Big Whit had 35 inch arms and was 6’7... his weakness at LT was always pure speed rushers who were more athletic than him.  But that’s everyone’s weakness really.

Chase is barely over 6’0 as a WR.  Think Marvin Harrison if you want a HOF comparison.  Jerry Rice was 6’2 .  Desean Jackson is 5’10ish... Steve Smith borderline HOF was 5’8.... so if you go WR with chase and not take a trade down or Pitts (hoping Sewell slips or Slater later...or take a remaining round 2 OT) then you are NOT getting the next AJ Green.  Green is 6’4 and was faster than TJ Housanzadeh (4.6 sec 40) and taller.  By the way Housh was 6’2

Do you think a 6’0 WR can be pro bowl level / maybe all-pro play consistently through their career in Cincy...?  I don’t think it has ever happened here. Not Warwick or Ross or even Andrew Hawkins.  They were all under 6’2 I believe. 

i say take the trade down and hope Pitts is there. Get your OT/OG quickly after that.  Trade up if you have to... I mean why not Mike?  I doubt Mike’s ever traded up in round 1.

I feel like the majority of these singular historical references are meaningless. We can do it with tight end too -- none has been taken as high as #5 in the draft by anyone since 1972, and only two have been taken by #6 since that date.

I hope the Bengals assess players predominantly by on-field performance and treat pro day measurables as tiebreakers.

Do you think a 6’0 WR can be pro bowl level / maybe all-pro play consistently through their career in Cincy...?  

Yes. Easily. Scout the player. We have SO MUCH tape on Chase. He's a dominator. 

Trade down to 10 or so

Option 1: OL first

10. OT Slater, OT Darrisaw, or OG Vera-Tucker, take your pick.  Heck, Sewell might slip here given testing results

38. One of the slipped rd1 WRs: Moore, Moore, Marshall, or Toney

2b. BONUS PICK Creed Humphrey

69  the best passrushing DL available, preferably a DE

3b BONUS PICK  the best passrushing DL available  

Option 2: Receiver first

10. Waddle, Bateman, maybe even Pitts or Smith, take your pick

38. Leatherwood, maybe Jenkins or Cosmi

2b. BONUS PICK Creed Humphrey

69  the best passrushing DL available, preferably a DE

3b BONUS PICK  the best passrushing DL available  

For those still worried about options at 38 if they take Chase, some portion of the lineman in this list will be there at 38 and would immediately start and improve this team at RG. And a number of them could move out to RT in year two and beyond.

Chad Johnson was under 6' 2" and ran a 4.5 /40

Devote Adams (Chase's most common pro comp) is under 6' 2" and also ran a 4.5 /40

Ja'Marr Chase is a much better athlete than either.  I can guarantee you that Chad Johnson never had a 41" vertical....for that matter neither did AJ.

2 hours ago, TJJackson said:

its really interesting to me that Sheeran wrote an article over a twitter battle

It's not a twitter battle. It's the only thing being talked about across every forum and bengals twitter and the podcasts and even the beat writers. 

well, I think this was directly connected to the exchange he had with Logi but if you say so, mem :-)

as I said, I am coming around to Chase at 5 as long as the next two picks are OT and OG, not necessarily in that order

still on #TeamTradedown, tho

speaking of that.....what do you think about Bateman?

1 hour ago, TJJackson said:

well, I think this was directly connected to the exchange he had with Logi but if you say so, mem :-)

as I said, I am coming around to Chase at 5 as long as the next two picks are OT and OG, not necessarily in that order

still on #TeamTradedown, tho

speaking of that.....what do you think about Bateman?

I mean, he was on the Zim/Ace "Civil War" podcast on Wednesday that had 8 talkers split into Team Chase or Team Sewell camps. It's been a pretty comprehensive discussion.